US Navy ground / carrier equipment - scratchbuilt

Starfighter

• 5 years later...

It's been a while since the last post in this thread. The arrival of my Mini 8K earlier this year sparked new interest in the carrier vehicles I've been designing since 2015. Again, my friend Thomas and I chose the same subject - the P-16. The files posted here in the thread many moons ago were refined to match the improved 3D printer capabilities. The model now features a cored through grille on top of the now complete exhaust (hardly visible on my model), a more detailed reel including motor and some small additional details. The model also features a working steering. The accessories on top are a mix of old Verlinden boxes (the small ones), Aerobonus (the big boxes), fire extinguishers and axe from REMJ and a file I found online - namely the small boxes behind the axe. The hoses are handmade, the hose connections were again designed by myself. The markings were painted using home made masks; some small stencils are still missing, but I have an idea how to solve this in the near future.

Like so often, special thanks to Thomas Matzer for the machined parts and the PE grille - you rock!

It was a fun little project and I am pretty happy with the result. I am still working on a driver figurine and I'm desperately wating for any manufacturer to bring out some firemen weating asbestos suits in the near future. I hope you enjoy it - comments and critique are welcome as usual!

img_5070acsily.jpg

img_5090avtci5.jpg

img_5082awoee9.jpg

img_5078a5mexj.jpg

img_5069agqd2v.jpg

img_5091aeyc4p.jpg

img_5093a5bc26.jpg

img_5089ahvfhn.jpg

img_5074agbi1o.jpg

img_5095ab8ekv.jpg

• 1 month later...

Here it is - my 32nd scale A/S32A-49 aka STT is ready. The only detail missing is the stencils which are currently in production. I will use rub on labels in order to avoid varnishing after applying them. A few details for those interested - the model was designed in Fusion 360 based on Schopf factory drawings. The steering works, tie downs are movable and the hitches work as well. The sliding door used to close the air intake on the Huffer slides, so the louvers can be covered as on the real thing. I have just realised whily typing that the handles on the sliding door are still missing - mea culpa. In addition, the seat can be adjusted, all fasteners on top are separate parts and there is a separate water cooler behind the front grille. Hard to see on the photos, but there are brake discs behind the front wheels. My aim was to ease assembly and painting, so many small details such as the screws below the grille and the front and rear wheel hubs are separate parts. Painting was done with Tamiya acrylics, weathering with oils and Tamiya acrylics.

img_5157b7fau.jpg

img_5158qliic.jpg

img_5159rpeo7.jpg

img_516018dvm.jpg

img_5161buitw.jpg

img_5163bie63.jpg

img_5164ahcsi.jpg

img_51654jisr.jpg

img_5166gkdmz.jpg

img_5167ooim9.jpg

img_5169uyihi.jpg

img_5170zsf9o.jpg

img_51734jiu2.jpg

6 hours ago, chrish said:

Tow bars coming soon….?

Ready since 2016... the problem is that such long, thin parts tend to deform over time. I have an idea how to address that problem in this case, though... 

Thanks everyone for your kind comments! I'm currently on a roll - there's more to come! I am currently working on the all-new Shipboard Mobile Electric Power Plant aka SMEPP to go with Trumpeter's latest disaster aka F-35C... the aim is to make it more accurate than the aircraft. I am quite confident I can achieve that goal. :D

screenshot2023-04-2006ud4u.jpg

screenshot2023-04-200w9c77.jpg

screenshot2023-04-200cifha.jpg

screenshot2023-04-200mxclg.jpg

screenshot2023-04-2006hdd3.jpg

Again, besides accuracy, the main aim is ease of assembly and painting. All big fasteners are separate parts as are the dashboard, diesplay, knobs and wheel rims. Test prints are running!