REVELL P 51 B MUSTANG, NEW TOOL??

HB252

But Revell's FW-190 is head and shoulders above Tamiya's!!

Bollocks!

The Tamiya kit blows the Revell offering clean out of the water.

In fact, it's so good it's jolly difficult to find one anywhere.

I expect Rog has bought them all.

Based on their recent releases, I'm confident that Revell could pull off a splendid  P-51B/C at a great price.  A  Tamiya P-51B would in all probability be near perfect , but it's price would reflect that.  

As popular and neglected as the subject appears to be maybe the market could accommodate both.

Based on their recent releases, I'm confident that Revell could pull off a splendid P-51B/C at a great price. A Tamiya P-51B would in all probability be near perfect , but it's price would reflect that.

As popular and neglected as the subject appears to be maybe the market could accommodate both.

I'm sure at this point now that we are hitting this topic again hard, and Jerrys B/C project with GMF appears kaput, ZM & HKM are now free to come out with one simultaneously.

Edited by Out2gtcha

I think that maybe is more possible see in the next months or next years the release of new (I hope not repop) of the BF 110 in 1/32.

If you see the  prices of the BF 110 1/32 REVELL OLD KITS it was down, maybe because the next sale of the new BF 110.

So, if it is true, maybe we will see a new P-51 B the next year??

I cant really agree with most any of that if Im honest. We each have our own ideas of "value" and for me the $80 USD I paid for my Tamiya P-51 is some of the best money I have ever spent. If youve never owned a Tamiya kit because they are "too expensive" I can see that.....................but Id take a LOOOOONG look at one UP CLOSE AND PERSONAL before saying anything about accuracy issues.............   Im not even going to mention Trupmeters P-51 in the same breath as Tamiyas. There really is honestly NO comparison there.

And to that point if you are aware of some accuracy issue with the Tamiya P-51, please by all means speak up. Im not aware of any major issues at all, but Im no expert.

And I DEFINITELY would not say that Revell is "kicking the teeth in" of Tamiya by ANY stretch of the imagination; AAMOF, ask anyone who has build a recent Tamiya offering and a new Revell offering and ask them what they think, and unless they just WAY overpaid for their Tamiya kit, you may be shocked at some of the answers you get.

I can definitely see the advantage of some Revell kits, like their new 190..........................especially with cost figured in.

BUT, if you're comparing kit to kit, and you get your Tam P-51 for a reasonable amount like I did, Revell isnt even FLYING over the same ballpark as Tamiya if you want accuracy, detail, buildability, realism, or IMHO value for the money considering how GAWD awful Revells P-51 is compared to Tamiya's.

Yeah, I agree with all of this completely. I have all of the Tamiya 1/32 Zeroes, Spitfires, Mustangs, and Corsairs, plus all the new-tool Revell stuff (Bf109s, Fw190F-8, Spitfire, Ar196, He219, He111, Ju88), and I have to say I'd take the Tamiya kits over the Revell ANY day if I was forced to choose. Despite the price difference.

Most kits have errors big or small, but there's NO way the Tamiya kits have more problems than the Revell ones. The Revell Spitfire had a number of issues pointed out, including a completely wrong type of oil cooler if I'm not mistaken. And just personally I feel like the rivets are a bit heavy handed. There were noticeable issues with the upper cowling of the Revell Bf-109G-6, and the Revell He219 was said to be less accurate than the ZM version.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the value offered by the Revell kits, and I will keep buying them. But Revell is not 'kicking Tamiya's teeth in'. Or Hasegawa's for that matter.

Just like Honda and Toyota are't 'kicking in the teeth' of Audi and BMW just because they sell cheaper cars. Sometimes, you get what you pay for.

• 1 month later...

For the adventurous folks that cannot wait-

http://paulbudzik.com/models/p51.pdf

Definite pass. Respect is earned not given, no matter the skill level. I'll be waiting for RevellTamGawaHawk to put one out, as one of them will for SURE. Its just a matter of time, just like I believe an F7F is an an eventuality as well.

for me personally after building a good amount of Tamiya kits, if there is a plane I want to build and I have my choice between tamiya kit or a revell kit, the tamiya kit gets the nod every time. And I'm not some tamiya fan boy, but their kits have easy to locate parts and lettered sprues, a sprue break down and layout in the instructions. 

I'm battle the 1/32 revell F4G right now, and no sprues are lettered, just numbers, I'm having to go through 5 sprues just to locate one part, then on top of that they give you all the parts to make an E variant F-4 with ZERO instructions for that particular build, or what parts are needed, just the sprue says "E" on it. I get that it's a 15 year old kit or whatever, but seriously Revell. 

I have also heard and read that the Revell P-51 B/C variant is a very very very old tooling. Hopefully something new comes down the pipeline cause like I mentioned earlier, I'd gladly pop hard earned money for a Tamiya version. 

Revell could do a P-51B really easily.  They just need to tool an accurate exterior; wings, fuselage, control surfaces and maybe the wheel wells.  The cockpit is an easy replacement and someone will probably offer a complete resin replacement for anything they do offer.  They could give the market a quality cheap B model and maybe someday we will see the Tamiya superkit.  Then we could have the best of both worlds, quick and easy or everything but the kitchen sink. 

With the sophistication of the aftermarket their is a lot of room for a manufacturer to concentrate on the exterior fundamentals and leave the rest to AM.  Personally I think it would be nice to see more kits done in the style of Eduards "overtrees" as we replace many of the internal kit parts anyway.  A partnership between three AM companies would be really interesting in which you could walk into the hobby shop and on the shelf would be a black and white box with the basics in it and instructions, next to it hanging on the shelf would be three or four separate decal sheets to choose from, a resin cockpit, maybe a PE sheet.  I guess Zoukai is kind of doing this already though, the kits are just more expensive and more fundamentally detailed out of the box.

cbk57 you really hit on something that brings me right back to Eduard. The reason their BF109 kit is so tempting to me is everything in one box, canopy mask's colored photo etch, specific cartograf decals, and many many many decaling options in one simple flat rate. Plus not to mention brassin wheels and some other goodies. 

Having to source all of the aftermarket goodies, can be just as demanding as the build it's self. I have steered away from certain kits just because I know that no company makes the upgrades I want to install. Shame on me huh? 

Come on Tamiya get this P-51 done! 

2 He219s, 2 Do335s, 2 Mosquitos.... but no P-51B, no P-47D Razorback, no P-38 of any kind, no Hellcat (from anyone aside from Trumpeter I mean). It's crazy. I almost wouldn't be surprised if we got 2 BP Defiants and 2 new Storch before anyone does a modern, standard-setting P-51B/Hellcat/P-47D Razorback/P-38 etc...

Well, that wheel just keeps on squeaking, and up to now it's being ignored.  A good heap of Tamiya, or Revell axle grease would really quite things down. lol  I'd buy at least a couple if not more.  Just think of all the possiblities.  Ding Ho!, Salem Representative, Bosie Bee, to name a few.  My top choices.

Remember when we use to harp on the companies for a nice new tool P-51D and Corsair?  That went on for several years till Tamiya finally answered the call.  Hopefully history will repeat itself here.  Who ever does it first will be the winner.  That's a cash cow waiting to happen.  Hard to understand why it hasn't happened yet.

So, let's just keep harping and make that squeak LOUDER!

Best regards

Patrick

Edited by Patrick HMD