REVELL P 51 B MUSTANG, NEW TOOL??

HB252

Suffice it to say; B/C Mustangs are completely different form the D Mustang. A manufacturer can't just take a D and retool it. It won't work. Some manufactuer will have to spend a lot of money to bring a B/C to market. Tamiya can do it...but will they?

Jerry Rutman to the rescue!

It may be resin, but it'll be ever so lovely resin.

Hello kurth,

Thx for the photos.

I hope see it in WIP area  :thumbsup:

Them, the only options for a P-51 B MUSTANG are REVELL (cheap) or TRUMPTER (expensive option), isnt it?

Regards, Miguel

Who wouldn't love a Tamiya P-51B or 109G-6..

Personally and now back in the real world a new nose for the Trump kit from the firewall forward would solve the major issues for most people.

Throw in an Aires cockpit and gear bays and you will have one very nice looking B it would still have some minor issues but given the other options would be to me far more preferable and end up looking very nice.

A new nose from Jerry Rutman, Mike West or someone else would be a great addition.

Hello kurth,

Thx for the photos.

I hope see it in WIP area  :thumbsup:

Them, the only options for a P-51 B MUSTANG are REVELL (cheap) or TRUMPTER (expensive option), isnt it?

Regards, Miguel

You are quite welcome. I do want to  build this one soon, but I do have 4 or 5 in progress right now so I really need to finish something first.  I do not have any more room on my work bench for another project. 

I would jump on a Revell new tool B or C model in a heartbeat. Its a mystery why Hasegawa or Tamiya havent produced one yet, but whoever does first will clean up. I keep hearing really bad things about the Trumpeter version- would someone like to list the problems with it? The nose is totally wrong?

I actually own an unbuilt Revell 'old tool' RAF Mustang III (4740), but the horrendous grey plastic sprues are much worse than those shown above, covered in flash and rivets you could park a bike in, plus laughable decals and very thick 'clear' parts- puts me right off- doubt I will ever build it...

Edited by Thunda

Who wouldn't love a Tamiya P-51B or 109G-6..

Personally and now back in the real world a new nose for the Trump kit from the firewall forward would solve the major issues for most people.

Throw in an Aires cockpit and gear bays and you will have one very nice looking B it would still have some minor issues but given the other options would be to me far more preferable and end up looking very nice.

A new nose from Jerry Rutman, Mike West or someone else would be a great addition.

For most who know the P-51B in any kind of detail including me, the worst offense is not the nose................I can live with the misshapen section on the upper part.....................what I and almost everyone I talk to about the kit have a problem with is the @#$%*ing NON-laminar flow wings!

A correction for that would basically require all new wings, and of course gear wells that are incorrect as well, and at that point, Id be more inclined to wait for some manu to put a B/C out..............as we KNOW someone will put it out.................eventually. Its so iconic, and SO many people recognize it, its a lock for sure.................just a matter of time. Now will this new tool be from Revell?  Maybe.............will we see one from Tamiya?   I sure hope so.  Either way, whoever puts it out, if they take into consideration ALL the issues the most recent B has, and make a concerted effort to fix said issues, it WILL sell, and sell a LOT.

The hell with Tamiya! Too damned expensive!  If someone were to make a nice quality, low priced kit, I hope Revell takes the challenge of making a new P-51 B/C model!  Proud of Revell kicking the teeth in on Tamiya, Hasegawa, and Trumpeter!  Those companies charge way to much for their kits and are far to proud of them! And, they usually have accuracy issues to boot!  So, please Revell, do us a big favor and make a new tool P-51 B/C!

The hell with Tamiya! Too damned expensive!  If someone were to make a nice quality, low priced kit, I hope Revell takes the challenge of making a new P-51 B/C model!  Proud of Revell kicking the teeth in on Tamiya, Hasegawa, and Trumpeter!  Those companies charge way to much for their kits and are far to proud of them! And, they usually have accuracy issues to boot!  So, please Revell, do us a big favor and make a new tool P-51 B/C!

I cant really agree with most any of that if Im honest. We each have our own ideas of "value" and for me the $80 USD I paid for my Tamiya P-51 is some of the best money I have ever spent. If youve never owned a Tamiya kit because they are "too expensive" I can see that.....................but Id take a LOOOOONG look at one UP CLOSE AND PERSONAL before saying anything about accuracy issues.............   Im not even going to mention Trupmeters P-51 in the same breath as Tamiyas. There really is honestly NO comparison there.

And to that point if you are aware of some accuracy issue with the Tamiya P-51, please by all means speak up. Im not aware of any major issues at all, but Im no expert.

And I DEFINITELY would not say that Revell is "kicking the teeth in" of Tamiya by ANY stretch of the imagination; AAMOF, ask anyone who has build a recent Tamiya offering and a new Revell offering and ask them what they think, and unless they just WAY overpaid for their Tamiya kit, you may be shocked at some of the answers you get.

I can definitely see the advantage of some Revell kits, like their new 190..........................especially with cost figured in.

BUT, if you're comparing kit to kit, and you get your Tam P-51 for a reasonable amount like I did, Revell isnt even FLYING over the same ballpark as Tamiya if you want accuracy, detail, buildability, realism, or IMHO value for the money considering how GAWD awful Revells P-51 is compared to Tamiya's.

Edited by Out2gtcha

Guest Clunkmeister

I have the HC P-51A, and it is a lovely kit!

Very basic, but it's lines are right and it looks great!

I hear there are a few gun placement and air intake issues to verify matches with the specific prototype you're modeling, but all in all, a solid, decent kit.