Fly Wessex

Bruce_Crosby

It was from 1947 (IIRC) until 1997.

First with Spitfire FR.XVIII, then Venom's, Hunters, Westland Whirlwinds and finally Wessex's.

They now operate Merlins out of RAF Benson. The only reminder of nearly half a century in Hong Kong are the crossed Kukris on the tail of the Merlins.

The Gurkhas were the most common passengers for 28 Squadron choppers, especially at the border.

• 2 weeks later...

Just had a reply from David Hannant to say they (Xtradecal) won't be producing any sets for the kits.

Mmmmmmmmmm. Im sure some will be a bit disappointed in that.     However, I have just ordered a set of custom paint masks from Randy @ StencilPal, and as normal, EXCELLENT customer service, and he worked through any sizing issues with me with the utmost professionalism.  

PLUS Randy uses Oracal 810 which IMHO, is THE best material you can use for paint masks, as its resilient, re-usable (depending how much paint is applied and how many times you want to re-use) and has the perfect amount of tack; not too much that it ever pulls anything up, but not too little as I rarely if ever have bleeding issues.

Might be worth a shot for those interested in the canary yellow SAR ship to send a note to Randy?

Just thinking out loud, as it seems a lot of folks want that scheme, and from looking at it, it doesnt appear there would be any more involved in that scheme than the one I ordered, which is just a tail symbol (in the yellow SARs case that circle with the 4 pie shapes in it) and the rest are just codes that appear to be in a similar if not identical font to the ones I ordered.

which is just a tail symbol (in the yellow SARs case that circle with the 4 pie shapes in it) 

The pedant in me would say it's a Maltese Cross, but I actually prefer pie shapes - what is it with Americans and food..?   :popcorn:

There's a great selection of photos here   http://www.aviationphotocompany.com/p880343392/hA2E64A9#h5dc36073

Edited by Kagemusha

The pedant in me would say it's a Maltese Cross, but I actually prefer pie shapes - what is it with Americans and food..?   :popcorn:

drooling-homer-simpson.jpg

We learned from the best!  We threw all the damn tea in the harbor, so we had to switch to pie.     Damn oppressors!!!    :lol:!

Edited by Out2gtcha

I really never could find a close up of it and this one is one of the few closer ones:

http://www.aviationphotocompany.com/p880343392/e1bafde6f

It does appear as kind of a broken Maltese cross....................but even that I dont think would be out of spec for Randy to do in mask form (but I could be wrong on that).   Still, for those who like the canary yellow SAR scheme it might be worth a PM to Randy, as once the mask set is made, it could be re-cut over and over for anyone else who wanted that scheme as well.

AAMOF, just looking at the "RAF RESCUE" on the door at a glance, it appears that it is in the EXACT same font and size as the RAF RESCUE I ordered with my custom mask set, and even the SAME thing for the "ROYAL AIR FORCE RESCUE" on the fuse, as it too appears to be identical to mine.................the only thing that would need to be altered are the exact tail codes...............then of course add in the tail cross and maybe a roundel if the OOB decals are not correct for that scheme.

Edited by Out2gtcha

This is the "best" I could find...

image_35.jpeg

If nothing emerges from the AM peeps then next Spring I will draw this and RAF rescue logos for a canary yellow SAR chopper and have them digitally printed by DRAW DECAL on solid clear sheet.

As it's unlikely to take up much space I can probably get eight sets on a sheet of A4. That means 7 for sale at cost price + postage.

Will raise this again next year if nothing else emerges

Tony