Tamiya P-51D, Maybe Big Beautiful Doll?

CANicoll

Hi everyone,  After a 2 year hiatus, finally coming close to completion.  I have been eagerly following everyone's Mustang WIP's for tips, tricks and hints. Thanks so much everyone for sharing as it has made 'reentry' so much easier and I hope I can add to the overall discussion.

I am building the Tamiya 1:32 kit, and agree with all the positive comments others have made.  I find that if something doesn't fit right, I'm not doing something right.  That little bit of wisdom has saved me multiple times.

I'm still trying to figure out the livery and have many options, including Big Beautiful Doll.  So decisions, decisions.

I'll start with the early build pics and add more later so these articles don't get too long.

I've taken some color liberties such as the copper piping and a wood floor in the cockpit.  I know not historically accurate, but I've seen pictures of others who have done this and I really liked how it looked.  The copper is enamel sprayed right from the Testors can.  Outdoors to avoid the odors.  Most of the rest of the paint is Model Master or Tamiya acrylics.  

sidewallr_zps035a2d29.jpg

With the cowl panels off the copper piping will just be visible.

A close up of the right sidewall.  The Eduard color and placards add amazing detail.

Sidewalldetail_zps5367df3f.jpg

The cockpit sidewalls are a combination of the Tamiya parts and Eduard's color PE.  I also have the Barracuda stencils but OMG are they tiny!  Saving them for my next Mustang.

Here is the left side:

Leftside_zpsaf8e12f4.jpg

Next up the engine and super charger and the completed cockpit.

My photo skills are improved with later pictures. :-)

Edited by CANicoll

:hi:   You diffidently have a good start to.The copper looks good It's your model. If some one says something at a show or else where. Tell them it's an airshow bird. You can do the Nice wood floor to. 

Cheers

Thanks for the warm welcome!  Here's a bit of the progress.

I really liked the Eduard PE kit for the Mustang.  While the vast majority of people will not see most of this detail, I know its there and it adds to my satisfaction in the build.   :mental: Crazy, I know.    The black in the photo below is some pre-painting I did as I was concerned that the airbrush may not reach those areas very easily without runs or drips.

SuperchargerWIP.jpg

Here is the other side and from this angle the linkage looks really nice.  It went on amazingly easy too.  Was SOO tempted to leave it NMF to make it really stand out.  Maybe on the next Mustang.

Rightsidepainted.jpg

And the left side just for reference.  The paint looks very much silver in these photo's, but it really is black.

Leftsidepainted.jpg

Oh, here is my workbench:  A converted corner PC desk.  I put pictures and directions up on the monitor when I need to use references, and the zoom feature really helps with the detail work.  My laptop goes underneath and I have a wireless mouse I use.  Very handy!

HobbyBench.jpg

Just to add a bit more color, I painted the Eudard PE plug wires a nice bright red.  Yeah.  Once installed in the airframe, can't see them at all!  Oh well.   :doh:   

testfit1_zpscb09018f.jpg

Here is the engine installed.  (See, no plug wires! )  The scraped paint on the valve covers was a constant problem.  The Model Master acrylic just was not very sturdy.  The top frame bar is not really attached so I resprayed the valve cover.   Anybody have any suggestions for a Rolls Royce logo for the valve covers?

update_zps7faf21f4.jpg

And the other side...

testfit3_zps6593cde7.jpg

More to come!

Reference your valve covers, if I remember correctly, only the Rolls Royce valve covers had a logo; the Packard built Merlins did not, and most P-51's (if not all) had Packard built Merlin engines. It would be more accurate without logos :-)

- Dennis S.

Westminster, CO USA

Reference your valve covers, if I remember correctly, only the Rolls Royce valve covers had a logo; the Packard built Merlins did not, and most P-51's (if not all) had Packard built Merlin engines. It would be more accurate without logos :-)

- Dennis S.

Westminster, CO USA

Dennis, I had not seen any RR logo's on the Merlins, but wondered if maybe I had just not been terribly observant.  Checking back on a lot of references, yep - no RR logos.  Thanks for the note!  

Next update...

Wooden floor 

DSC_0070_zpsxklry2cp.jpg

Did a bit of wiring work on the radio behind the seat, not as extensive as other's I've seen, but doing better in that area with each model.  Always a wonder to me how to pick the various gauges of wire, plastic rod, etc people use for detailing work.  

DSC_0072_zps2xoluipw.jpg

After reading a lot of comments here about he HGW seatbelts, I ordered a couple of sets.  I just knew I would probably not get them right the first time (a correct assumption!) but after a lot of trial and error and some terrific support from the folks at HGW, here they are.  Now I see they have decals for the 'wood floor' option.  For that, I think I'll still use paint.

DSC_0095_zps1brwom0y.jpg

I about went blind putting these together, tho, and it took about two days (I probably should not really admit that, should I?) but I am really pleased with the results.  Next step is to see how they go onto the pilot figure I've been working on.

The completed cockpit sits nicely in the plane so far.  I have not installed the seat or frame as I wanted to add the pilot and since the seatbelts took a while and I only JUST started painting the pilot (figure painting is not something I do well) adding in these elements later let me keep building.

Looking at the photo I realized I should have done a lot more detailing of the IP.  Oops.  I also have not put in the gunsight as of yet, same reasons as above.

DSC_0017_zpsntweydnx.jpg

The sidewalls standout really well with the extra color PE.

DSC_0018_zps6ns3cgic.jpg

Jumping ahead a bit, I learned from actually reading the instructions that although there are two different part numbers for the machine guns, they build out into four different gun configurations (A, B, C and D).  Almost had a mini disaster as I was getting ready to cut them all off of the sprues for painting.  Also, the configurations line up with the two gun bays (parts W10 and W11).  I found it easier to keep track by writing the part number on the side of the gun bay as I work to install the machine guns in the correct configuration.

DSC_0022_zpsqy3hvwzz.jpg

Starting to get them built-up into their specific configuration.

Machine%20Guns_zps1z5xgvw7.jpg

I am playing around with the Eduard PE ammo and ammo chutes.  I don't think I can tackle the complete PE ammo bay at this point.  The left (straight) chute folded up beautifully and the PE ammo actually slides right through.  The I mangled the curved chute on the right as I tried to figure out how to get all the individual arms properly bent.  A learning exercise, but I think I have it figured out now.  Will do the right side chutes tonight and see how it turns out.

I am also looking at overlaying the plastic ammo tray with the PE ammo belt.  I don't think height will be a problem with the hatches open.

ammo_zpsxoxom1h6.jpg

Off for the weekend chores.  Have a safe Memorial Day weekend everyone!

Hi,

First off, beautiful work so far.

I saw you were debating on using decals for Big Beautiful Doll on the tips forum. Can I recommend Randy (sluggo) to you to make a paint mask set for you. He made me one awesome set for my Tamiya P-51D for the "Lou IV"/"Athelene" markings. You can see my build here with his masking set:

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=49990&page=10

I was nervous to use a paint masks at first but glad I did in the end.

Keep up the good work!

Cheers,

Brady

Update:

This section should probably be titled: Lesson's learned.   :oops:

Partly due to just getting back in the swing of modeling, partly not fully reading the instructions (doh) and partly just not paying attention (double-DOH!).

Successfully got the gun bays together and the wings closed up and have some ideas on what I want to try with the gun bays.  Was eyeing the Eduard PE set for the gun bay doors and finally just cut one out and tried it (the long door of course).  That was super easy so I figured what the heck and kept going.  Yes, first problem.  I just assumed the rivet detail on one of the panels was on the OUTSIDE and folded accordingly.  Yep.  Wrong assumption.  (See the botton PE panel in the photo below).  Naturally, wisdom did not arrive before the CA set so good thing I planned on having only ONE side open.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

PE%20Doors_zpsbczu6rwl.jpg

This revelation came on the heels of a problem on one of the landing gear.  

The struts look really nice and I think it was Petetools who opened up the hinge on the landing gear before adding the PE.  Something I will do on the next plane as the PE over the Plastic is too thick and just doesn't look right IMHO.  It does not come out very well in the photos but i used flat aluminum to highlight some of the bands around the landing gear.

LG%20Flat%20Alum_zpslmcpseck.jpg

The first strut went together just fine (I thought) so when I tried to put the rims onto the tire, the two halves of the rim kept separating since the air inside could not escape.  Quick hit with a small drill bit, done no worries.  Again - if wisdom made any sense I would have checked the first strut and noticed the two hub halved had slightly separated.  See the red arrows in the picture below.  

Again, even with slow setting CA - that deed is done.  So will adjust the landing gear cover to compensate.  Rats....

Gap_zpsyqf2imia.jpg

One of the few things I guess that did go 'right' yesterday is using a flex-i-file on the rubber tires to scuff them up and get rid of the center seam.  In the photo's the seam is still between the lugs, but in reality it is very difficult to see.  If you are making a show plane, then maybe you want to take a sheet of sandpaper and scrape between the lugs.

I like how it lugs on the tires look now; will still weather them to an appropriate shade of 'rubber' as I doubt they had Armor-All or something back then to keep rubber looking black and fresh.

Tires%202_zpsfv8bohla.jpg

Attached the landing gear to the wings using the screws and that seem to go pretty well.  Also attached the 'closed gear' panel and that seems to have some minor fit issues along the back but will see how that turns out when i get further along.  

Looking to paint the wings next (Flat Aluminum with some gray mixed in?  Still doing research on that.  YOUR opinions are welcomed!!) and then plan on starting to decal the nose panels.

Hey when it comes to the rims did you see the small locator pin on the inside that lines up with a hole where the valve stem for the tire is on the outer half of the rim? I had the same problem at first with the halves not wanting to fit together until I realized there was a locator pin keeping them apart.

Good work anyways!

Cheers,

Brady

Hey when it comes to the rims did you see the small locator pin on the inside that lines up with a hole where the valve stem for the tire is on the outer half of the rim? I had the same problem at first with the halves not wanting to fit together until I realized there was a locator pin keeping them apart.

Good work anyways!

Cheers,

Brady

Hey Brady.  I did see that and had lined them up, but I think I went a bit heavy on the CA and it left nowhere for the air to escape.  Either way, my mistake.  Must admit, i did not originally see the locator pin, but did after a few test fits.  It is really small tho!

Keeping a log of things to watch out for on the next build. :-)

Thanks for the comment, keep 'em coming!

CN

Edited by CANicoll