Working on Injection Molded Release in 1/32

castlegaiden

Thank you guys for the good ideas and for the contact over at hellomold.com!  

I am having a blast designing the Marauder - a really nice air frame.  Just received William Wolf's B-26: The Ultimate Look.  The thing's like 500 pages - insane.  Also just received the Erection and Maintenance manual from a friend.  

Kicking it into high gear!

Brian

Edited by castlegaiden

I haven't read the entire thread, but I really hope you don't underestimate the tooling cost. I have worked as a project engineer for a scale model company for five years. We did 1/43rd and 1/18th scale car models and I know the cost of these tools. Our tools were made in China and I can already tell you that the tooling for your Marauder will cost a fortune, that's for sure. You should maybe consider Short Run moulds to keep the cost down, but even these will be very expensive. All the best for your project, though!

Hong Kong Models understand moulding technology, particularly two-stage slide-moulding, so are ahead in the game.

It may be necessary to design a simpler, more parts break-down to the kits unless selling a design to HKM who can turn out the metal tooling to make the kit in bigger monocoque chunks.

Tony

So do most other manufacturers, Tony. The problem is that slide moulds are very expensive, so they are only used if really necessary - we did so at least. I don't think HK is ahead in terms of moulding technology - Chinese mould makers are on a very high level in general. I can tell you that even some Tamiya moulds have been manufactured in China. 

What you need is clever engineering and a good mould maker. Wall thickness is very important when designing parts to be injection moulded. You have to consider shrinking and warping, etc. All Chinese mould makers I know have an own CAD shop - they will have to rework your files anyway, so this additional cost should also be considered.

Nope, the windscreen is curved in plan view. This is where computer work becomes problematic as opposed to carving wood. Better get it right before moving forward.

Looking at your model it is possible the top of the fuselage is too flat (reverse of the HK B-17) and maybe in plan view the windscreen is a straight-ish line?

Edited by Alburymodeler

That black horizontal line which indicates the side windows, where it is facing the front and running parallel with the rear line, it should bow forwards. Hard to describe but if you continue with a critical eye you should eventually get it correct. Doing it right from the start is certainly better than trying to fix later.

http://www.shapeways.com/sell/open-a-shop?li=footer

Start your own shop.

See link above.

You provide the 3D model and shapeways sells it for you, prints and ships to your customer. The profits are then deposited into your paypal account.

Jon

Hi hear you Jon

The downside is for this kit, I think it would cost between $500 and $1,000 to print and sell copies.  I think I will design as if it were getting sent to a tooling company, but will probably buy a couple of huge pressure chambers and cast the sprue trees in resin.  This will keep the cost per kit way down <$300 per kit hopefully

Brian

Edited by castlegaiden

I hazard a guess that producing it yourself could be a serious undertaking. particularly if you have not done any casting before. That is a big bit of resin -nay a huge bit of resin. Way bigger than the HPH Hornets, and ME 410, but maybe not as big as the Catalina, which I am sure requires some considerable skill to cast without shrinkage and warpage. Keep moving along and maybe a door will open.