Stash Accumulation Strategy

Guest DeanKB

I know I'll never build even a tenth of the kits I've acquired (and continue to acquire) over the years - not even if I somehow were to resume the breakneck build pace of my youth (It was not uncommon for me to "build" as many as three kits in a weekend - though I'll admit the build quality led to most of them being consumed by fireworks, thrown off buildings, etc).

But I have a recurring fear that one day I will drop dead and my wife will decide to unload the kits at a yard sale, not knowing how much I've waste...er....invested on them over the years.  Not sure I want to have that discussion with her!

But I have a recurring fear that one day I will drop dead and my wife will decide to unload the kits at a yard sale, not knowing how much I've waste...er....invested on them over the years.  Not sure I want to have that discussion with her!

I've already had it with mine. She knows how much my stash is worth and I've told her how to best liquidate it if I shuffle off before she does. I don't like the idea of some chancer with a van making off with it all for peanuts.

- Steve

If I see correct, tables are labeled, so i figure you have to bid on separate sub-lot. But even so it will fetch a lot less as breaking it into separate kits. This will surely be good opurtunity for the second-hand model shop owners.

Just checked the date of that auction and it was back in July 2012!

Further investigation on the web told me that they were divided up into 170 separate lots that went for a grand total of 8,800 UK Pounds. Which still less than their true value.

- Steve

I fear this is the future of many of our stash's....

http://www.thejournal.co.uk/news/north-east-news/1200-model-kits-auction-after-4406701

Either that or I might have it in my will to give away one kit to each modeler from a few local clubs if they attend my funeral.   That way when people see my funeral procession heading down the road they will have thought I was someone important!

Either that or I might have it in my will to give away one kit to each modeler from a few local clubs if they attend my funeral.   That way when people see my funeral procession heading down the road they will have thought I was someone important!

If Rog did that, it would look like a state funeral.

If Rog did that, it would look like a state funeral.

lol :D ... I haven't yet made a will ... but I've been thinking about it lately ...

I guess I'll have to throw a few LSPer's in the mix - I'd like any leftovers to go to someone who could appreciate them.

I won't name names though - It could prove too tempting for someone to plan my early 'departure' ;) ;)

Rog :)

The problem with this is that the stash, whatever the strategy (I'm a theme and basic accumulation guy) eventually gets too big. That's why I'm Ebaying a bunch of stuff, mostly jets, to concentrate on 1/48 and 1/32nd props; my place is too small, and the stash ahs grown to monumental proportions. Its also amazing to me how I'm taking a loss on many of  these models. Its like my Grandpa used to tell me, "Something is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it."

In other words, don't let the stash get too big, because you'll never get your moolah back!

Bob

What I did was to list my sales (on an Excel spreadsheet) with date bought and price, then simply depreciate them by 10% per year - that makes things look a whole lot better, particularly those you've had so long that the "current value" figure drops to zero. 

But I also look at it this way:  I've spent the money on the kit; if I built it I would get nothing back, and would even expend a small amount of money in terms of consumables (paint, glue, etc); so any return I get by selling a kit off instead of building it is a profit.

I've said before ...

I buy NOW, rather than later ... for retirement ... because I have cash to spare now ... but probably won't have huge amounts when I retire.

I am also short of time for recreational stuff at the moment - so not a lot of build time ... I build the odd kit ... but over a loooooong time!

I adopted this approach to "stash acquisition" after about 6-12 months being a member on the forums ... Until, that point I probably had about 20 AFV kits in the stash and a couple of LSPs. I kept reading posts where people were struggling to afford a new kit out on the market and complaining about pricing putting the kit out of reach for them ... Most of these comments (it must be said, not all) were coming from retired folk.

So, for me, there are two phases ...

Phase one - During my working life:

* Purchase NOW whatever takes my fancy - toward certain display goals mainly ... But I'll invest in a couple of other kits for trading purposes if the price is right!

* Upgrade the stash from time to time ... Ie. ZM are about to release a series of Fw.190's ... I've got a bunch of Hasegawa stuff in the stash ... But I've got no hesitation in upgrading at present (providing the accuracy is there) ... Because I CAN! ...

* "Turnover" kits and "speculative investments" are continually bought/sold.

Phase two - When I retire:

* I will have a list of items to buy when I retire ... but that will be (mainly) it! ... For example: No one has yet released a Do.17z in 1/32 - but that is the No.1 Item on my wish list (and then there's daylight down to No.2!!) ... You can bet whatever you like, I'll grab one of those WHEN retired if it doesn't come out before.

* I aim to have everything I need (for what I want to display) in my stash before I retire ... It doesn't matter if some are not the "ultimate" kit ... just as long as they're accurate as can be expected.

I don't expect a lot of people will agree with my approach ... and to those who want to call me a "Hoarder" etc - Stiff Cheddar!!! (probably just jealous anyway).

Otherwise ... peace out! :D

Rog :)

That's more or less what I did.  But since I retired I've discovered that there are still new kits I want to buy, but many of those I own I have lost interest in building.  This may be due to declining interest in the subject matter/new interests coming along), duplication (did I really ever want 5 1:48 F-104s??), replacing earlier dodgy kits with better replacements (only where this would actually produce a significant improvement), or simply recognising that the eyesight was starting to favour 1:32 above 1:48.

And come to think of it, now I'm retired there's not that much more time for modelling anyway, too much other stuff to do.

Edited by MikeC

Interesting point. I think some here might consider the same. Who in the heck is going to want my collection of Windsock Datafiles, and Monogram close-ups??

Me!

In return, I'll leave you my Squadron In Detail, In Action & Walk Arounds. And Detail & Scale. And Warbird Techs.

Its also amazing to me how I'm taking a loss on many of these models. Its like my Grandpa used to tell me, "Something is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it."

In other words, don't let the stash get too big, because you'll never get your moolah back!

Bob

I used to think that way. I've been selling fairly hardcore on eBay since January. So far I've made roughly 15k in sales on 450 items.

I haven't lost money on many kits. Aftermarket is strong, decals are a killer. I've made up to $200 on some decal sheets I paid $15.00 for.

I also listed 150 Squadron In Action & Walkaround books. I am shocked at the money I am making on them.

I find the biggest trick is don't soak people on shipping.

Edited by ScoobyDoo

Guest Peterpools

I have 20 32nd scale kits in the stash and will not go above that number. I've sold, and traded kits and hopefully fine tuned my stash to represent my interests in the hobby. I've stopped buying new releases as soon as they come out and actually find satisfaction in buying them later on at greatly reduced prices - almost a hobby unto itself. 

I've never had any luck selling kits for a profit and almost always have lost money on every kit I've sold.

Peter