Stash Accumulation Strategy

Guest DeanKB

I've got about 60 LSP's and 30 various scales in the stash. About 13 more 1/32 Phantoms to build also. For some reason I can't resist a good deal on a big Phantom. I really want some of the new releases coming out, I just cannot justify it though....

Oh, and there is no strategy. It just seems to happen! Well, there is the occasion when I get a set of cool decals for say an F-4 Phantom, then I see the same unit with the same scheme in an F-15. Ex: I have plans to build Oregon ANG Phantom and Eagle. Blue Angels in F-4, A-4, F/A-18, Bearcat & Hellcat and a 1/48 Fat Albert. Thunderbirds in F-4, F-100, F-105, and an F-16 and a 1/72 C-119 support bird.

I blame it on the decal manufacturers!

Edited by ScottsGT

Thanks for making me aware about the potential usefulness of a kit stash "strategy".  I am data driven so before I can detect a "strategy" and report back I snuck up on the stash and did a bit of recon.  It appears the stash is organized and represents numbers at the battalion level for 3 different scales, props and jets and German ww2 moble artillery platforms (Nashorn etc).  No car, dinosaur or super heros etc.  Vac kits on the way out (marked on the boxes with sad faces) are organized next to their styrene replacements.  All 1/48 scale aircraft are grouped in boxes ready to move on (re-discovered 6 Dynavector kits!). Older 1/32 kits replaced by new kits are in a box with themselves. It is not at all clear within the whole collection which kits were purchased on sale or not so no moral or deep psychologyy worries are felt.  Six kits are stacked together as potential investment kits or super trade-offs.  Finally and not a bad thing the WNW kits have now fully filled the stash space (Felixstowe is wedged in).  There appears to be no more room! 

Now for the stash strategy (not just to make more room):

Sell off sad face kits to real builders, the 1/48 scale and all the boxed up kits to make more room for (WNW and FW-198 etc.)  At the same time I will be sure to throw away kits that would inflict mental illness on a potential builder.

Buy one or two more German ww2 moble artillery kits to complete that renewed "interest" in armor.

Sell off investment kits and use the money to buy limited run and interesting resin kits

Continue the WNW fetish

Ignore the new Mosquito kits and other new kits where I have an older kit in progress

Stay in 1/32 but keep the number of jets to what I already own.

Rick

The problem with this is that the stash, whatever the strategy (I'm a theme and basic accumulation guy) eventually gets too big. That's why I'm Ebaying a bunch of stuff, mostly jets, to concentrate on 1/48 and 1/32nd props; my place is too small, and the stash ahs grown to monumental proportions. Its also amazing to me how I'm taking a loss on many of  these models. Its like my Grandpa used to tell me, "Something is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it."

In other words, don't let the stash get too big, because you'll never get your moolah back!

Bob

Well...

What I already have in the stash, despite being quite reasonable compared to some other dudes (about 30/35 kits).... already scares me as I doubt I can build all of it (I build about 2 kits per year... the "good" years at least).

But what scares me most is that I stll plan to buy (much) more !!! I have at least 6 kits on my "must buy" list this year including 3 twin engines and 1 four engines AC...

No need to add that from my 5 latest builds, 3 were scractchbuild (or similar)... :mental:

Must face the ugly truth: I'll never get to the bottom of my stash  :shrug:

My strategy is simple: I buy models that I know I am going to finish before I die. I have enough now in my stash that I can't die until 2356. So if you want to live a long life...

Awesome. Of course you may have to change your name to Methuselah, but hey, I'm OK with that.

Not so much a strategy as an equation riddle ...

"I buy kits 10 times more than I build them. How long will it take for me to clear my stash ?"

Hubert

That depends on whether or not you have a fire.

But what scares me most is that I still plan to buy (much) more !!! I have at least 6 kits on my "must buy" list this year including 3 twin engines and 1 four engines AC...

Thank goodness hoarding and building, are not necessarily interdependent hobbies.

No strategy here, just a theme...

Have spent years buying anything that took my fancy, I now only buy and build aircraft operated by British Forces. This obviously has its limitations but with a little imagination, I can still build American aircraft as these were supplied under the Lend/Lease scheme and German/Italian/Japanese aircraft, as long as they were captured plus any test aircraft operated!

In short, if it had a roundel affixed, I can buy/build it but unfortunately one of my favourite airframes, the Fw 190D-9, has so far remained elusive (unless anyone has photographic evidence to the contrary).

I also have a small number of vehicles/tanks/ships/submarines although the same rules apply, must have been operated by British Forces. However, just to prove that there is an exception to every rule, I also have a small collection of F1 and Le Mans cars plus the Revell Routemaster bus!

The current count is 282 kits in all the major scales with 1/48 being my preferred scale so, I'm 55, currently finished approximately 6 kits per year and add between 15-20 kits each year (though I do sell a few), I'll have to be, well, very old (sorry my maths was never that good), before I finish building everything :)

As for accessories, decal sheets, reference material, don't get me started... ;)

Edited by Tony C

I've said before ...

I buy NOW, rather than later ... for retirement ... because I have cash to spare now ... but probably won't have huge amounts when I retire.

I am also short of time for recreational stuff at the moment - so not a lot of build time ... I build the odd kit ... but over a loooooong time!

I adopted this approach to "stash acquisition" after about 6-12 months being a member on the forums ... Until, that point I probably had about 20 AFV kits in the stash and a couple of LSPs. I kept reading posts where people were struggling to afford a new kit out on the market and complaining about pricing putting the kit out of reach for them ... Most of these comments (it must be said, not all) were coming from retired folk.

So, for me, there are two phases ...

Phase one - During my working life:

* Purchase NOW whatever takes my fancy - toward certain display goals mainly ... But I'll invest in a couple of other kits for trading purposes if the price is right!

* Upgrade the stash from time to time ... Ie. ZM are about to release a series of Fw.190's ... I've got a bunch of Hasegawa stuff in the stash ... But I've got no hesitation in upgrading at present (providing the accuracy is there) ... Because I CAN! ...

* "Turnover" kits and "speculative investments" are continually bought/sold.

Phase two - When I retire:

* I will have a list of items to buy when I retire ... but that will be (mainly) it! ... For example: No one has yet released a Do.17z in 1/32 - but that is the No.1 Item on my wish list (and then there's daylight down to No.2!!) ... You can bet whatever you like, I'll grab one of those WHEN retired if it doesn't come out before.

* I aim to have everything I need (for what I want to display) in my stash before I retire ... It doesn't matter if some are not the "ultimate" kit ... just as long as they're accurate as can be expected.

I don't expect a lot of people will agree with my approach ... and to those who want to call me a "Hoarder" etc - Stiff Cheddar!!! (probably just jealous anyway).

Otherwise ... peace out! :D

Rog :)