Meng Me 163B Komet "Yellow 11"

tbell

Outstanding work per usual, Tony, especially given the constraints on your time from family and career…

Regarding its camouflage, I would suggest that the machine's colours were confirmed by an eye-witness account of the aircraft at the Hyde Park display.

From Rob de Bie's excellent website http://robdebie.home.xs4all.nl/me163/ye11.htm :

A rather unique 1945 report about the camouflage of this particular Komet was found in an article titled 'German Aircraft at Farnborough October-November 1945' by Michael Young. It was published in the 25 January - 7 February 1985 issue of Aviation News, and focused on the public display of captured German aircraft at Farnborough. According to the article:

'Although not relating to aircraft displayed at Farnborough, there also exist excellent contemporaneous colour descriptions of two other late war Luftwaffe fighters, namely the Me 163 and He 162. The Me 163 was described as being painted in two shades of green on the upper surface, the greens being mottled in application, and light grey (76) on the lower surface. The nose tip and code '11' were yellow, with the number outlined in dark grey while the nose cone was black. The werk nummer also appeared in black on the left side of the fin only. The He 162 ... '

From the above report it appears that 191454's colours were much like the Australian Komet (before its repaint), and that the red-brownish version of RLM 81 was not used on this Komet.

Regardless, an amazing build of this machine.

Cheers,

David

Edited by David E Brown

Thanks all, for the kind words! It was one of those builds that, while quite enjoyable, I'm glad is done and on the shelf.

There's nothing to criticise Tony - it's masterful! And the kit itself looks like a great advance over the old Hasegawa one. I'd love to publish yours on the website if you'd permit me.

Kev

Hi Kev,

I'd love for you to post it on LSP, but please hold off for a while. I'm writing it up for Military Illustrated Modeller magazine and would prefer it not go up on LSP until after it has been published. I'll be submitting all new photos with the article so the ones in my RFI post will still belong to me, and which I will gladly let you use.

Inspiring! What are the four little black spots on the oval shaped access panels on each wing? Are they decals? BTW, did this kit come with a pilot by chance? I need a good seated pilot for my Hase kit.

Tim

Hi Tim,

The markings on the oval hatches are kit stencils:

IMG_1768_zpswumyrmgm.jpg

Unfortunately the kit does not come with a pilot figure.

Amazing finish and paint work, my hat is off to you on this one!  One of the finest Luftwaffe mottle paint jobs I have ever seen.

Beautiful mottling!

Thanks! The secret is to thin the Gunze Aqueous paints with pure rubbing alcohol at about 9 parts alcohol to 1 or 2 parts paint and build each mottle up gradually. It's time consuming, but the degree of control is very good.

Outstanding work per usual, Tony, especially given the constraints on your time from family and career…

Regarding its camouflage, I would suggest that the machine's colours were confirmed by an eye-witness account of the aircraft at the Hyde Park display.

From Rob de Bie's excellent website http://robdebie.home.xs4all.nl/me163/ye11.htm :

A rather unique 1945 report about the camouflage of this particular Komet was found in an article titled 'German Aircraft at Farnborough October-November 1945' by Michael Young. It was published in the 25 January - 7 February 1985 issue of Aviation News, and focused on the public display of captured German aircraft at Farnborough. According to the article:

'Although not relating to aircraft displayed at Farnborough, there also exist excellent contemporaneous colour descriptions of two other late war Luftwaffe fighters, namely the Me 163 and He 162. The Me 163 was described as being painted in two shades of green on the upper surface, the greens being mottled in application, and light grey (76) on the lower surface. The nose tip and code '11' were yellow, with the number outlined in dark grey while the nose cone was black. The werk nummer also appeared in black on the left side of the fin only. The He 162 ... '

From the above report it appears that 191454's colours were much like the Australian Komet (before its repaint), and that the red-brownish version of RLM 81 was not used on this Komet.

Regardless, an amazing build of this machine.

Cheers,

David

Hi David,

I used Rob de Bie's site as my main reference for the paint scheme and I agree, it was probably more likely painted in greens however I decided to go with RLM 74/75/76 for purely aesthetic reasons. The fact that it's shown in 74/75/76 in "Me 163 Rocket Interceptor Volume Two" by Ransom and Cammann was enough to allow me to rationalize my choice!

Cheers,

Tony

Tony, what a joy to look at !Your detail,  paint and weathering are what I aspire  to do some day. Just excelent , top shelf......Harv :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :punk:

I did turn out marvelous!   The paint is exceptional.

Inspiring! What are the four little black spots on the oval shaped access panels on each wing? Are they decals? BTW, did this kit come with a pilot by chance? I need a good seated pilot for my Hase kit.

Tim

I did contact Domi from RetroKit, and indeed, they DO have both the standing AND seated Me-163 pilots available now.   I e-mailed Domi via their site:

http://www.retrokitonline.net/info.php?contact

I believe, if you e-mail Domi he can get you his PP address and you can order the sitting Me-163 via his direct PP addy. The site is going down tonight for a few days for an overall upgrade of the website itself.

I did turn out marvelous!   The paint is exceptional.

I did contact Domi from RetroKit, and indeed, they DO have both the standing AND seated Me-163 pilots available now.   I e-mailed Domi via their site:

http://www.retrokitonline.net/info.php?contact

I believe, if you e-mail Domi he can get you his PP address and you can order the sitting Me-163 via his direct PP addy. The site is going down tonight for a few days for an overall upgrade of the website itself.

I e-mailed Domi as well, and he shot me a message right back! 12.99 + 3.50 (euros) for the seated figure, a very nice one it would appear. I've kinda spent about all I can afford on decals and other stuff for it at the moment, but I will likely be grabbing one up in the near future. Thanks for the help all!!

Tim

...and thanks, Tony, for the closeup!!

Edited by BiggTim

Very nice work Tony. Love the paint and weathering. What concoction did you use for the final flat coat, looks very nice.

Cheers

Brad

Hi Brad,

The final clear coat was Aclad ALC-311 Klear Kote Light Sheen, although I had siphoned odd a couple of ounces of the clear gloss carrier before shaking the bottle. It's probably closer to ALC-312 Klear Kote Semi-Matte.

Cheers,

Tony

Thanks all, for the kind words! It was one of those builds that, while quite enjoyable, I'm glad is done and on the shelf.

Hi Kev,

I'd love for you to post it on LSP, but please hold off for a while. I'm writing it up for Military Illustrated Modeller magazine and would prefer it not go up on LSP until after it has been published. I'll be submitting all new photos with the article so the ones in my RFI post will still belong to me, and which I will gladly let you use.

Thanks Tony, no worries. Just let me know when it's safe.

Kev

• 1 year later...