In Box review Beaufighter Revell/Lodela 1:32

Menelaos

Found it! Found all the parts the Lodela  version is supposed to come with including the vac observers/gunners station parts.

37 minutes ago, D Bellis said:

If it does, you could become every Beaufighter builder's hero by sending it to someone like '109Ace' Kevin so he can make copies of it. He advertises that service (making copies of OOP vac canopies) over on HS, so the possibility of working a deal with him is very real. ;););)

That's actually a good idea. I wont be starting my Torbeau till after my current project, and another after that, so seemingly plenty of time.

I'll PM him and see what he has to say.

18 minutes ago, Steve Eagle said:

Hey folks, if you look at the Vendors site near the bottom of the site, Model Monkey has just released a  front cockpit 3D print set. 

Yep!  Its the one and only reason I dredged this old thread up.............

3 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Dredging this one up from the dead!!!

Was just pondering the new MM Beaufighter cockpit and soon to come observers station and was wondering what to do about the rear canopy.......

Then, looking this thread over, I realized my Lodela version should have come with the vac canopy and observers canopy.   I havnt looked at my copy in YEARS, so am trotting down stairs to the stash tonight to see if my kit still has the coveted vac canopies. 

*Crossed fingers!*

Cant wait to pick up my copy of the pit and observers station..................as well as a set of TF/X tail planes and (hopefully) a British 18-inch torpedo too. 

Also, weren't there two different types of the dihedral tailplanes- for the VI and X??

As far as Im aware, just the straight tail planes and the Mk. X tail planes with the 12 deg up-sweep. Of course I could be wrong on that, Im not the super SME on the Torbeau, but from the book I have those are the two types of tail planes. 

The Lodela vac tail-planes are the closest we have in 32nd, but we are hoping Model Monkey will come to the rescue on that too. We are getting him references as we speak. 

1 hour ago, Steve Eagle said:

Also, weren't there two different types of the dihedral tailplanes- for the VI and X??

As far as I've found so far, the only difference between "early" and "late" dihedral tailplanes was that the trim tab actuating rod was either on the top or bottom. Outline and shape remained the same. 

I could be wrong, though.

1 hour ago, Out2gtcha said:

PM sent.

AWESOME. Thanks! 

D

Interesting kit.  I never heard of it. Thanks for sharing it.

(An aside, Photobucket still thinks a lot of itself.  I guess they assume that we should plan the format and size of our photo carefully so as to provide space for their advertisement.)

On 3/26/2019 at 10:58 PM, Out2gtcha said:

As far as Im aware, just the straight tail planes and the Mk. X tail planes with the 12 deg up-sweep. Of course I could be wrong on that, Im not the super SME on the Torbeau, but from the book I have those are the two types of tail planes. 

The Lodela vac tail-planes are the closest we have in 32nd, but we are hoping Model Monkey will come to the rescue on that too. We are getting him references as we speak. 

The SAM Datafile is a very good source of info which I used on my build I did back when the world was young. :rolleyes:

The number of variations including Merlin power eggs and even one with a turret is mind-boggling.

It is possible to use the kit tailplanes to create the dihedral.

I sanded out the lower edge of the slot and glued them in place at the right angle.

A 12 degree upsweep at the tip leaves a very small gap underneath at the joint which can be filled.

If you wish to get very accurate with the two types of dihedral then scribing and some fettling will get you there.

:)

1 hour ago, Erwin said:

IMO ,those VAC-parts don't  add much to the kit

Well, yes and no. For sure, it would be better to get injected parts but the clear parts are better than the original ones and the torpedo and thimble nose are welcome even if I will probably use the torpedo from one of my two Swordfish kits. For the angled stabs, I agree as they are neither accurate, nor well molded.

14 minutes ago, reconspit said:

...you can also use two Revell Beaufighters to convert a 1/32 scale Lancaster in a Lancaster B.II...  :wicked:

:beer4:

...well, just the engines...:innocent:

:lol: lol - Conversely, you could also use a Lancaster to create a Beaufighter Mk IIF. Same same just two of the engines:

Bristol_Beaufighter_Mk_IIF_R2270.jpg