Mals Way, Corsair, USS Bunker Hill, Carrier Deck, Part II.

Hi Mal,

Firstly, sorry to see this thing has happened. Your Corsair was becoming a work of art so to see this gear leg snap is sad. I think I can understand the frustration that you feel. I suspect that nearly everyone on here has had a similar experience at one time or another which is why so many have jumped to your aid.

You appear to be a passionate man and that is why you feel this disappointment so heavily. That is not a fault, it's just who you are. I'm glad to see that after a while you have re-accessed your options and have decided not to bin the kit.  I'm positive that when you come back to it after a pause you will find a way to repair the break and finish the build. When you do it will give you enormous satisfaction.

Perhaps many of us are guilty of setting our bars at a high level. Striving for perfection can be laudable but it needs to be gauged against the effort involved. As has been mentioned, this is a plastic model not a 1:1 scale flying aircraft so some imperfection can be tolerated. the chances are, once the model is sitting on it's gear, any repair will be imperceptible.

These incidents are painful but if we learn from them they can be a positive.

I hope that taking a break from modelling does nt mean we will lose you on the forums. Your contributions are always welcome and keeping in touch with LSP's will help to heal this low feeling more quickly.

Lastly, I am filled with a warm fuzzy feeling when I see how the troups have rallied to your aid with offers of help and/or replacement parts. (Even some kind souls offering to take the incomplete model off your hands!). This reiterates just how good LSP is as a community.

How ever you choose to move forward, I wish you well buddy.

Cheers.

Edited by geedubelyer

Mal what a great paint and weathering.

It is amaizing work really.

Dont worry for broken leg. It is most weak point for this model. So soft

I am going to make some modification for it and then metal copy.

If it is done one is yours 

The car is great. 

Mal,

sometime, one needs a short break, what ever the reason... I am like that after a gap of "intence" activity/modelling. This is only some kind of burnout...

When I get to the bench, I feel lost and do not know what to do... and everything I try to do is crap... so I let go until I really feel the need to start again and this time it is with "full power"  ;)

Take your time my friend and get back to it whenever you feed ready!

Edited by Loic

Thanks all...

Problem with resin...i cant work with that stuff....as i get headache and womit feel...is the fumes in it......

Also ill take a brake from forums and building, need to take a brake from it.

Thanks all for the fine comments.

/Mal

Guest Clunkmeister

When my Devils Head Albatros hit the floor and blew apart last year, I was so tempted to bin it. If it had any decals other than the OOP Pheon set, I would have.

But rebuilding it from the ground up taught me alot.

And the work needed was really nowhere nearly as tough as I thought.

I only wish all I had was one broken gear leg. Try all struts, a split fuselage, an engine knocked out, and the upper wing still flopping around on the end of it's wires. Try fixing all that while trying to save a $100.00 set of decals.

They are designed right for the Tamiya F-4 Bill, and the mounting lugs are identical looking to the OOB Tamiya gear, and I can vouch at least for Roy's Barracuda-cast wheels working.

Sadly the G-Factor struts and U-boat propellers I want are all OOS at Sprue Bros. :rolleyes:

Guest Peterpools

Mal

Sometimes it's best to take a few steps, back, walk away and until you're ready to start building again. You will know when it's time again to break out the plastic and spend time at the bench.

Peter

Mal

Im late to the thread, but I know how you feel. You put so much into a build..the intensity gets pretty high...you feel good about it... and then you just lose it. Something goes wrong thats kind of like having a wing shot of with only a hundred feet of altitude under you and you just snap roll in. It happened with my big Mustang. Havent touched it in months...making the empennage just cooked me...but its coming back

Fortunately for us...youre still here. Put it aside and take a rest.  Have a glass of Chianti. We'll be here when you come back...

Best

Geoff