Mals Way, Corsair, USS Bunker Hill, Carrier Deck, Part II.

Thanks all for them kind Words, im glad you all like it.

@S.Pelletier.

My mix ratio with Tamiya is 30-35% paint and 70-65% isoprop alchohol, then a 3-5 big drops Tamiya retarder from a brush. coats that goes on wet without rinning or pooling up,

since when it dries it is very thin, and if any fiber or particle landed on the paint, it is easily removed with a soft makeup brush Before applying next coat, note i use optivisor when im doing Airbrush work so i can spot any defects real early...alot of coats needed to cover due the ratio i use, but it got benefit as Control over the paint and less risk of "to much" paint that covers crisp Surface details.

About primers..well that depends on the kit itself if needed. if a shortrun kit or others such as Hasegawes FW190/Me109 and others similar kits, where there been putty, redones, toolwork on the Surface, then i go for real primer paint, i use nowdays Tamiya Rattlecan primer...to detect Surface defects and errors.

If doing a kit like this that istelf is a perfect fit, very Little with putty or surfacer then no need for real primer in my opinion, so o do a paint coat that acts like a primer instead, in this case yellow/greenish, or light grey.

The Psi varys all between 10-up to 18 sometimes higher depending on the job AND Paint (it need to atomize properly, Always look on the spray pattern around), i use a HS Evolutuin plus something and a HS Infinity, they fit my needs very well.

a note, i dont look at the preassure meter that much at all, i adjust the airpreassure when the "feel" is right, i test shot top side of my hand near the thumb and feel the preassure and paint flow, weird i know but it got to feel in a way that is right....lol o know but it works for me, Erik (Somnas) saw me do it, he said damn i do understand what you mean he said.

I Hope this anwers your question, and feel fre to ask more and ill explain as good as i can.

/Mal

Thanks you very much for yours answers.

This will help me very much with my painting :)

Cant wait to see an update on your Corsair!

Stephane

Thanks, thanks for them kind Words....

Got theese custom vinyl masks by mail today, made by Fredrik Almlöf, products from a builder for builders, Geeez Big Big thanks Fredrik A, they look perfect, and indeed he made spare ones if needed.....

29pvtzm.jpg

/Mal

Flaps...Flaps....Flaps....Flaps...Flaps...Flaps.....PE parts aswell......yes this might work just fine for me......dryfitting only....i got plans, so be patient ill reveal in time.....

PE Scores "0" Mals Way Score "1"

IMG_1721_zpsvwwscu2b.jpg

Flaps Sores "0" Mals Way Scores "1"

IMG_1718_zps3bsbhbje.jpg

more dryfitting...yes i win.....

IMG_1715_zpsdrys6bnv.jpg

IMG_1713_zpsfdqsv5le.jpg

IMG_1709_zps7vjjlq5m.jpg

Mal

Edited by Mal_Belford

Thanks Mike.

It will be paint over it, and aim aiming for the natural overspray on this one, also no preshade, going for something else on this one, got to try new techniques.

I can show wich one im going to do, same numbers.....

F4U-1_VF-17_landing_on_USS_Charger_CVE-3

Little wear, but overall real good shape, only some paint wear such as bleaching from sun and salty winds....

/Mal

Thanks Mark and Brian...thanks appriciate it alot.

Now...ive googled for a while on list of pilots that were stationed at USS Bunker Hill and flew this specific Corsair that is on the picture above, but nothing, i thought it were very well documented.

also tried googling on Tom Blackbursn jolly Rogers....but no.

Anyone who know where to find that info, 17-F-6..shure would be very interesting to have a name on the pilot.

/Mal

Hi Mal;

Had some time to kill and i did some research on that plane and only found a color plate from Kagero book:

http://www.hyperscale.com/2014/reviews/books/kageropf4upt1bookreviewbf_1.htm

I have found no other info's except the picture was taken during Carrier qualification in 1943

The BuNo is unknown.

Stephane

Edited by S.Pelletier