RLM Colors - Acrylics ?

Guest Peterpools

Guest Peterpools

I'm planning on building the Revell 109G6 a bit latter this year and have started looking at paint availability for the various RLM colors in acrylics I am going to need. No one seems to make a full set of paints/colors in their range as individual bottles. Seeing how popular WWII Luftwaffe aircraft are, especially 109's and 190's, you would think paint companies would have all the bases covered. I have found numerous charts on how to mix the various RLM colors but being a bit lazy and spoiled, I was hoping to purchase them ready to go. Am I missing something or looking in the wrong places? :mental:

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

Hi Peter,

I like the colors in the Vallejo Model Color line. There is a PDF online [forgot where I got it } named "The Luftwaffe in Scale" that has some pretty good info explaining the RLM paint system.

HTH.

Guest Peterpools

Thanks guys for the help and direction. :goodjob: I will be picking up all the paints in a a week or so and then I'll have peace of mind, knowing when I'm ready to start after both the Meteor and Viper are done and in the books, I won;t have to firs start looking for build supplies.

Looks like my normal go to on line vender doesn't carry all the sets but I shouldn't have any problems now, as I now know what I'm looking for.

Peter

Hi 

I usually use Gunse , or Mr hobby now ( same manufacturer) , you will find the whole range of RLM color , easy to spray ,with a sweet semi gloss finish,  and good mach  

Alain

+1 for Gunze but they do not have the whole range, sadly. No RLM 72/73 (Seaplane splinter camo) Other than that I think it's all there and from the comparisons I've seen they seem to be fairly accurate.

Humbrol do RLM colours in their newer acrylics.  I tried them, and ended up having to do an "armourer's strip" of the airbrush to clean it.  Shame, because they included RLM 72 and 73 as well as some of the less common colours.  (A little o/t, but in fairness to Humbrol acrylics: if they don't (here in the UK) state a country of origin they're quite good, will thin with Tamiya thinners, and spray well; if they state "made in China", avoid these, they are the ones which block the airbrush.)

I don't get on with Xtracrylix, I add another +1 for both Mr Hobby Aqueous and Tamiya "homebrew".