Junkers Ju-87 R2 Trumpeter 1/32.........FINISHED

monthebiff

After spending the last 18 months building a couple of Spitfire's I thought it was time for a change of direction so for my next WIP I am going with this

IMG_20150502_203706_zpssxmsxyx1.jpg

Starting with the cockpit I have made a start on adding all the non pre painted brass from the Eduard set which is quite extensive with most of it being pretty useful.

IMG_20150502_203924_zps9cj8ltyx.jpg

IMG_20150502_203843_zpslmlgq7xv.jpg

IMG_20150502_203822_zpsigy5gd97.jpg

Thanks for looking and your comments are always very welcome.

Regards. Andy

Edited by monthebiff

This kit has a few shape/size issue's namely regarding the prop/spinner, engine cowling and wheel spat's and so I decided to purchase the very nice correction kit from Brian L Fawcett models and Patterns and have spent this afternoon taking a few comparison shots for you guys to show how badly out the Trumpeter parts are:

First off are the prop blades which on the Trumpeter kit are far to short and stubby as seen on the right of the picture.

IMG_20150506_162531_zpshmjtckz0.jpg

And the correct size/ shape spinner compared to the under size Trumpeter part on the right.

IMG_20150506_162616_zpsogqddbjj.jpg

Next up are the correct shape wheel spats with once again the incorrect shape Trumpeter part on the right

IMG_20150506_163123_zps5i8astgf.jpg

And finally the engine cowl and as you can see the there is quite a big difference once again

IMG_20150506_171750_zpsmczq88ps.jpg

I definitely recommend this update set, the quality of the casting is second to noe and the corrected shape will make a huge difference to the look of the finished bird.

Regards. Andy

Spent a bit of time today deciding which pilots seat to use either the very thick and overscale kit part or the Eduard etch part which is maybe a little to thin.

IMG_20150509_171811_zpsqqr1wqeh.jpg

decided on the etch part in the end and this is what I have ended up with, a lick of paint and some HGW harness's and it should look pretty good.

regards. Andy

Just FYI, the Brian Fawcett spinner is not quite the correct shape/size either (too bulbous).  Here is a comparison (from a different build) that illustrates this:

The Spinner comparisons: 1.Trumpeter, 2. Brian Fawcett Correction, 3. Henri Dähne

Spinnercomparison.jpg

I've thought about getting the BF correction set for my upcoming build as the rest looks pretty good, but have a couple other options in mind I'll try when the time comes first to see if I can correct it myself.

Doug

Edited by DougN

• 2 weeks later...

Not had to much time on this one lately but now have the cockpit assembly finished and ready for painting, I decided to not add to much extra wiring with just the obvious stuff around the radio added for interest.

IMG_20150519_203712_zpspkvzwmw2.jpg

IMG_20150519_203859_zps88eki7tk.jpg

Hopefully get some paint on this weekend, comments/ criticism always welcome.

Regards. Andy