1/32 A.M.U.R. Bf 109G-10 Erla corrected nose section test run.

Fencer-1

• 1 month later...

Hello!

Sorry for such long delay with our new set, but this summer was really "hot" for me. I worked hard and had to flied more than 27,000 miles for just two month :) So, our new set will be awailable from today from http://amurreaver.ru/ and our ebay store.

Below are the photos for comparison with original Revrll kit. I hope you'll like them!

20699602528_ddf77e352b_b.jpg

20264983084_b48d7b4bbe_b.jpg

20699520130_3bfe5c8af5_b.jpg

20894817661_867b9f35eb_b.jpg

20894816501_121b1a2507_b.jpg

20894816111_02c7115d69_b.jpg

20700837129_4ce113d391_b.jpg

20700841549_f1fbcce8e6_b.jpg20699518730_ab4d594eda_b.jpg

Edited by Fencer-1

Very nice!

I spent quite a while trying to modify the Revell nose to more match the real thing and while mine wasn't bad, yours is much better (in my view). It won't be perfect because it's such a complex set of shapes that without a surviving example (which there isn't*) or full set of drawings (of which there aren't any generally known of) this would be near impossible to achieve and verify... This looks close enough for me.

I would want to add the small 'kink' in the wing root fairing (near the front) on the supercharger side which accommodates the re-positioned (further out) engine bearer support, but that is a minor detail to add. See images 4 and 7 here:

http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/bf109detailbg_1.htm

Matt

Very nice!

I spent quite a while trying to modify the Revell nose to more match the real thing and while mine wasn't bad, yours is much better (in my view). It won't be perfect because it's such a complex set of shapes that without a surviving example (which there isn't*) or full set of drawings (of which there aren't any generally known of) this would be near impossible to achieve and verify... This looks close enough for me.

I would want to add the small 'kink' in the wing root fairing (near the front) on the supercharger side which accommodates the re-positioned (further out) engine bearer support, but that is a minor detail to add. See images 4 and 7 here:

http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/bf109detailbg_1.htm

Matt

Hello, Matt!

I'm glad that you like our work! I have to say, that Erla had absolutely another transition between cowling and left wing fairing, than Messerschmitt airframe. The Erla lower cowling panel have assymetrical shape instead of usual symmetrical one on Mtt planes - the Erla left side was wider then right. The left fairing was also completely different, not mirror to the right, as we can see on Mtt. Mtt planes had this "kink" on front part of left fairing, but the main left and right parts was symmetrical. Erla planes had completely different whole fairings allowed to accomodate engine bearer support without sharp "kink".   In other words, Erla cowling had more streamlined, aerodynamical shape in all aspects.

Alex.

Alex

Thanks for the clarification. I recall noting there seemed to be an asymmetry to the radiator cowl (and I forgot in my previous post to qualify the * I put in about no surviving Erla cowl - it is alleged that the lower cowl on the Messerschmitt Foundation G-6 is in fact an Erla cowl... it certainly does look asymmetric and has a flattened lower front as per an Erla).

It appears this is designed for the G-6/14 kit as the Erla kit didn't use the 'modular front fuselage construction. Have you tried fitting it to an actual Erla kit? It'd require some surgery - but there are some specific parts in that boxing we'd need for some Erla a/c (larger wheel fairings, different rudder). Tempted to get one and use it on my stalled 'nose job'...

If you were to produce a corrected set of large wheel fairings, they could be just applied to the G-6/14 wing (after cutting out the small fairing) in a very prototypical manner....

Matt

Matt,

I thought that most 109 Erla G-10s were delivered with the small wheel well bumps. And if you have both of the Revell 109 releases and some Hase kits there are about 5 or 6 different rudder designs to choose from and both sizes of ww bumps in the Revell kits.

Mike Horina

Edited by mhorina

Alex

Thanks for the clarification. I recall noting there seemed to be an asymmetry to the radiator cowl (and I forgot in my previous post to qualify the * I put in about no surviving Erla cowl - it is alleged that the lower cowl on the Messerschmitt Foundation G-6 is in fact an Erla cowl... it certainly does look asymmetric and has a flattened lower front as per an Erla).

It appears this is designed for the G-6/14 kit as the Erla kit didn't use the 'modular front fuselage construction. Have you tried fitting it to an actual Erla kit? It'd require some surgery - but there are some specific parts in that boxing we'd need for some Erla a/c (larger wheel fairings, different rudder). Tempted to get one and use it on my stalled 'nose job'...

If you were to produce a corrected set of large wheel fairings, they could be just applied to the G-6/14 wing (after cutting out the small fairing) in a very prototypical manner....

Matt

Matt

Our set is designed for Revell Bf 109G Erla and installed for photo on this model. It also fits to G-6, but more fill and sand work is necessary.

I spent many hours to careful examination of hundred photos and have to say that didn' see any similar to Revell's "kink" on the left wing fairing. It was like a mistery - I worked with master parts, trying to reproduce smooth transition visible on photos, but it was impossible! Yes, I saw "Red 7" with my own eyes at Berlin ILA, and examine many photos of her. This puzzled me, but nevertheless it is modern flying machine, made from Buchon and cowling simply may be rebuilt to adapt the fuselage ang early G upper cowling parts. Wartime photos clearly show that the right edge of lower panel is straight line, but the left is a smooth arc and left exhaust pipes "sit" noticeably deeper, especially close to the rear end of the cowling. This fact makes lower panel assymetry quite evident. Pictures below will help to understand my point of view better. I saw your works on Largescalemodeller forum :goodjob:. They are beautiful, but Revell nose still remains narrower, than should be  :)  

20355092514_0aa7ce8852_o.jpg

20967924492_d713eae408_b.jpg20985231231_e097be2150_b.jpg

20790909149_e7139199f0_h.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/100009549@N06/20790909149/sizes/o/

Edited by Fencer-1

Mike

Yeah, you're correct that it would appear many of the Erlas were delivered with the small wing fairings. You're also correct about the rudders, in fact I think the two Revell kits give you all the documented shapes you need (you just need to remove fabric detail to replicate the wooden rudders). Anyway, as Alex has shown above, the premise for my question was incorrect anyway :).

Alex

Again, thanks for clarifying.your first and third photos are excellent illustrations of the lower cowling bulge/asymmetry. As you say, the Revell kit's lack of lower cowling bulge resulted in that weird shaping behind the rearmost exhaust. Thanks for your comment about my efforts; as you say, the wider engine cowls necessitated a wider area behind which I was incorporating by just bending the port side panel out a bit - you parts cover all this most nicely.

Looking forward to your AS cowl.. lots of interesting G-5/6/14 aircraft opened up by that set...

I'm off to buy one of these now..:)

Thanks

Matt

• 3 weeks later...