Airfix 1/24 North American P51D/K Mustang (Mk. IVA)

Sparzanza

7 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

Hey Sparzy, welcome back  :hi: Good to see you back at the bench.

How's life in Sweden ?

Don't be afraid of exhaust stainage.  Building it up gradually is the key.

Low pressure is good too but rather than thinning the paint, decrease it's

opacity by adding clear (matt) instead so it still has some body, otherwise

it will run all over.  Have fun :thumbsup:

Thank you Mike! Life in Sweden is peaceful and a bit boring. Just the way I like it. ;) I hope you are staying safe in Oregon!

Also thank you for this tip, however I think the main problem is that the airbrush simply cannot spray thin enough lines. They all become super thick even with the smallest nozzle(?) and thinnest needle. I am trying to work out how to solve this. Maybe it will be fine for the exhaust stains, but the gun soot is another matter entirely!

4 hours ago, dodgem37 said:

Welcome back, my Brother.

Sincerely,

Mark

Mark! Good to see you my dude! I hope you're staying healthy too! :D

Hmmm perhaps a bit risky at this stage of the build but... I know the landing gear legs are fully extended, which looks a bit strange if the plane is to be depicted parked on the ground. How much of them would I need to cut off? Anyone knows? And... whether it is work the risk. I do have some strong cutters...

Hoo boy! That's a risky move, but it does make a huge difference to the way it sits. The landing gear has to be shortened by about 1/4", which is quite a lot. It would all come from the sliding "oleo" part between the collars. You would have to reposition the scissor links too. With a Mustang at full load, in 1/24 scale, the sliding oleo section is just over 1/8".  

If you carefully cut the oleo section to the right length, you can then drill into either end of the remaining legs and insert a pin to connect the two ends more securely. You would have to be very careful lining them up correctly. It makes me cringe to think of trying it when you've done such a brilliant job so far, but if you're brave it can be done. 

My method was way more involved, but I did it before I installed the legs so it was much easier that way. I replaced the leg with aluminum tube, and the sliding oleo part with plastic tubing reinforced with brass rod. It's not going to snap anytime soon lol. At least in this photo you can see how much needs to be taken out, the original kit part is on the left. 

7EWPwrO.jpg

Good luck if you decide to do it! 

Richard

One thing I did decide to risk, is to respray the bottom of the plane. The gloss varnish has yellowed so badly that I feel it ruins the overall look of the aircraft. It's supposed to be light grey, not some twisted variant of sky. I do have a spare decal sheet thanks to my brother, so I do not need to bother trying to mask the existing ones off. Sanding them away should work.

What I'd like to know is of a good, solid gloss varnish - preferrably enamel - that does not yellow over time. I'd use Tamiya's gloss varnish but I've seen it crackle on a handful of occasions, and I'd rather not risk that. I always had trouble applying it anyway.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you Derek. :)

I have sanded off most of the roundels underneath. I will sand off the remaining handful of decals, mask off the topside, and spray Humbrol 165. I may also respray the sky band by the tail, as it has yellowed pretty badly also.

This kit still has the potential of being the best kit I have ever built, and I will do my utmost to keep it right on track. No half-*ssed efforts.

EpnTsdI.jpg

3 hours ago, Sparzanza said:

Thank you Derek. :)

I have sanded off most of the roundels underneath. I will sand off the remaining handful of decals, mask off the topside, and spray Humbrol 165. I may also respray the sky band by the tail, as it has yellowed pretty badly also.

This kit still has the potential of being the best kit I have ever built, and I will do my utmost to keep it right on track. No half-*ssed efforts.

EpnTsdI.jpg

:thumbsup:

Hang in there Sparzanza! :)

Derek

Thank you Derek!

I will have to respray the droptanks as well. I was wondering if anyone knows whether these should be weathered as well? Like streaks and whatnot. I am not sure how long they lasted; whether they were used for numerous missions or just dropped when empty.

3 hours ago, Sparzanza said:

Thank you Derek!

I will have to respray the droptanks as well. I was wondering if anyone knows whether these should be weathered as well? Like streaks and whatnot. I am not sure how long they lasted; whether they were used for numerous missions or just dropped when empty.

Hi Sparzanza,

Hi have some internet searching and I have not found a single 442 Sqn RCAF aircraft using the standard 75 gal drop tank! (they all seem to be fitted with the 108 gal 'paper' drop tanks). However, looking at lots of period images of the 75 gal tanks installed on P-51 Mustang aircraft, they generally look to be in really good condition with little or no external wear our staining, so hopefully, that may help you decide?

Fano2.jpg

3 Sqn RCAF P-51K Mustangs with 75 gal drop tanks in the foreground

Cheers

Derek

12 hours ago, Derek B said:

Hi Sparzanza,

Hi have some internet searching and I have not found a single 442 Sqn RCAF aircraft using the standard 75 gal drop tank! (they all seem to be fitted with the 108 gal 'paper' drop tanks). However, looking at lots of period images of the 75 gal tanks installed on P-51 Mustang aircraft, they generally look to be in really good condition with little or no external wear our staining, so hopefully, that may help you decide?

Fano2.jpg

3 Sqn RCAF P-51K Mustangs with 75 gal drop tanks in the foreground

Cheers

Derek

3 Squadron RAAF in Italy