Airfix 1/24 North American P51D/K Mustang (Mk. IVA)

Sparzanza

I also see no clear outline although I will agree that there does appear to be a colour variation on the leading edge of the B.

Could this be due to leading of the B drying before the rest of the letter was painted in or even a different batch of paint?

Guess we'll never know but as it's your model...:thumbsup:

• 1 year later...

dmoT1CI.jpg

My brother thought it'd be an excellent idea to just buy me an entire new kit to get the decal sheet I needed, seeing as Airfix themselves were unable to help. So yeah, behold. A replacement B in place! I can now satin coat the kit and finalize the weathering. Many thanks, brother.

Alas, with all good news there's something bad. It would seem that the Humbrol 35 gloss coat has yellowed quite a lot underneath while the kit has been standing. I do not think there is anything I can do to fix this, but hopefully it will not affect the final appearance of it too much.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Crazy (and good) news -- yesterday I ordered a new airbrush (Badger Crescendo 175), along with 8 new paints. The Badger from Rebell Hobby, and the paints from Alfahobby.

Both packages arrived within 24 hours.

I find this a little bit insane, haha! I've never had anything delivered so quickly before...

On 3/11/2020 at 5:51 AM, Sparzanza said:

I would like some opinions...

Should I satin coat this kit, or matt coat it? I love how the satin varnish looks on it, but it may not be accurate... any feedback would be most welcome.

Go for the satin first and if you don't like it go matt.

13 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

Go for the satin first and if you don't like it go matt.

That's the problem, I love the satin on it.. but I don't know if matt is more accurate! I want to make it as true to life as possible.

Happy to see you are back and ready to finish this one! That was so generous of your brother to make sure you got the correct markings, especially since that kit is now out of production and unavailable from Airfix.

As for the final coat, the photos of 442 Squadron's camouflaged Mustangs show quite a flat finish, with not much sheen. 

http://www.thescale.info/news/publish/442-RCAF-Mustangs.shtml

I don't know if you are mixing your own clear coats for the airbrush. Maybe you could mix something that would dry between flat and satin? I agree, a little bit of a sheen looks better and more realistic than complete flat. 

Not sure any of that helps...

Richard

• 10 months later...

2020 was a real rollercoaster and I apologise for my inactivity here. New apartment again... well. Some seven months ago, and I only got my model table up and installed today. All my kits survived the move. This kit is still first in line to finish, and then the Spit. Both are essentially on the finish line.

What have I missed, ladies & gentlemen? In my absence.

I hope everyone is healthy.

Welcome back! Glad to see you're settled in and ready to finish them, especially the Mustang.

I wouldn't even know where to begin to tell you about the things that have happened here while you were busy. Take some time and poke around the site, there are some pretty spectacular builds and projects...as usual. 

Looking forward to seeing you back at it.

Richard

Nice to see you back with this model - have you put the final clear coat on yet? The RAF aircraft at the start of the war had quite a flat finish but as I understand it, this was replaced by the use of what were called 'smooth' paints which had a very slight slight sheen to them when new. Of course wear and tear and weather took their toll!

Edit - looked back through this build and saw the pics of the real thing on page 6 - not super matt but not satin either so your thoughts of mixing satin and matt should work well me thinks

Edited by Pete Roberts

1 hour ago, R Palimaka said:

Welcome back! Glad to see you're settled in and ready to finish them, especially the Mustang.

I wouldn't even know where to begin to tell you about the things that have happened here while you were busy. Take some time and poke around the site, there are some pretty spectacular builds and projects...as usual. 

Looking forward to seeing you back at it.

Richard

I might just do that. I had a look at your Mustang as well. It looks awesome!

38 minutes ago, Pete Roberts said:

Nice to see you back with this model - have you put the final clear coat on yet? The RAF aircraft at the start of the war had quite a flat finish but as I understand it, this was replaced by the use of what were called 'smooth' paints which had a very slight slight sheen to them when new. Of course wear and tear and weather took their toll!

Edit - looked back through this build and saw the pics of the real thing on page 6 - not super matt but not satin either so your thoughts of mixing satin and matt should work well me thinks

I did mix up Humbrol's satin & matt cotes and gave it a coat. It still ended up satin to my eyes, but I'll keep it as it is for now as I quite like it. I am also doing some very light chipping. Not too much. I did not see much wear on this bird. Also, I am still trying to figure out how to do the exhaust and gun soot with my airbrush. It's not a bad one (Badger 175 Crescendo), but it can't really do thin sprays. :( Not even with super thinned paint and low pressure.

Hey Sparzy, welcome back  :hi: Good to see you back at the bench.

How's life in Sweden ?

Don't be afraid of exhaust stainage.  Building it up gradually is the key.

Low pressure is good too but rather than thinning the paint, decrease it's

opacity by adding clear (matt) instead so it still has some body, otherwise

it will run all over.  Have fun :thumbsup: