Academy UH-60L DAP Black Hawk

Elboogie

Alright a little update:

I replaced the rotor cowling cover rails with my own.  I had problems with using the rails that was provided in the kit.

20150502_195021_zps89qmut1t.jpg

20150502_195059_zpst8nioq57.jpg

Then I stared working on the hole that I created when I made the cut in the front of the helicopter to put in the FLIR housing.

20150502_194109_zpsh8usgsmn.jpg

20150502_194128_zpsee7x0hid.jpg

20150502_194148_zpsfuxq7ktu.jpg

I will wait for the glue to take and then I will cut the styrene pieces to the shape of the helicopter.  

Then I will cover the parts with CA glue and wait til it cures and then do a final shaping of the parts with a different grits of sandpaper.

-RIchard

don't cut the styrene strips but sand them down flush instead.

Thanks Oliver,

I will follow your advice.

Thanks, Tim.  I am eagerly awaiting your posts for your build as well.

Richard

Well..well..well......

I followed Shark64 advice and I didn't cut the strips, but I sanded them down to shape as Oliver suggested and guess what.......

When I sanded the styrene it came together and almost created a filler to almost fill the gap completely.

20150502_215831_zpsbndwbugg.jpg

Now I don't have to use as much ca glue to make the whole disappear completely.  Thanks Oliver for the help!  I didn't know that styrene took on that element when sanded.

iRichard

A little off the path ...

After hearing Oliver's news about the MH-60s Eduard PE set coming out, I decided to look at it.....and it is nice.

Just when I thought that I had all the AM parts for my MH-60s build I am about to do.....

Cockpit:

32837_1_zpstnj0v4tr.gif

Exterior:

32370_1_zpspec5v27k.gif

32370_2_zpsbllyct30.gif

Interior.

And it looks like Eduard included a cabin floor and roof as well.

I am hoping that the floor and the roof overlaps with the kit to get rid of the gap in the floor and especially the roof.

32371_1_zpstpm2czjz.gif

32371_2_zpsnqxlxxs2.gif

32371_3_zpsustl2cgz.gif

And seatbelts:

32838_zpsjhijveug.gif

Of course the masking for the windows.

Well I will buy the Eduard Big ED set for the MH-60s build and put the PE parts that I already bought for another Black Hawk in the future.

Thanks Eduard for making me spend more of my money.......damn AM companies....lol

-RIchard

Looks like I'll buy the pe for my MH-60M build. It will help out alot! Where do you order it from?

Tim

I haven't order them yet.  I looked on Sprue Brothers and they don't have them yet.  But that's the only online shopping that I did for them.

If you find the Big Ed set for the MH-60s, let me know.

-Richard

FLIR Turret Housing:

So last night I started working on the housing and I put strips of styrene strips in the hole.

Then sanded the strips, not cut, as suggested (thanks Oliver).

Then this morning I placed CA glue over the seams and tired to make it look as a single piece:

I had to prime the parts to see what I was still missing, and looking at the pictures, I still have some work to do:

The bottom doesn't look too bad.  But I have have some sanding to do.  When I am done with the CA glue, I plan on rescribing the outline of the FLIR housing.  

20150503_114020_zpspkvsywff.jpg

The front needs a LOT of  work as well:

20150503_113940_zpspxb5jy3l.jpg

20150503_114057_zpsboaabeyg.jpg

Back to work:

-Richard

Guest Peterpools

Richard

Very nice progress on the Black Hawk and you can never go wrong following Oliver's suggestions.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

Richard

Very nice progress on the Black Hawk and you can never go wrong following Oliver's suggestions.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Right.  I think that Oliver was teaching me basic modelling and how styrene reacts to sanding and instead of cutting the strips.   Something that I didn't know.

And thanks for looking in Peter.

Richard

I sanded down the FLIR housing area some more.

Then I rescribe the panel lines that shows the FLIR housing in the helicopter.

Then I primed that part to see how it looks before painting.  I don't think that it looks too bad.

I have not sanded around the panel lines yet to make them flush to the fuselage, that will probably be done when I sand my whole model before applying primer to it.

Before primer:

20150503_123952_zpsdn0esxxw.jpg

After primer:

20150503_124809_zpsuhix9wtj.jpg

I still need to scribe the little panels that look like chin windows to the right and left side of the FLIR turret.

-Richard

I was thinking about gluing my tail to the helicopter but I am still thinking about how to scratch build this part:

20150503_144341_zpsutqnzxby.jpg

I am about to look in my spare sprue stash to see if I have a rod that length before I think about how to scratch build the part.

20150503_143900_zps6xrr2suw.jpg

20150503_143824_zpshe5zqzuh.jpg

More updates later.

Richard