Academy UH-60L DAP Black Hawk

Elboogie

I did some work on the fuselage before I glue the cabin to the fuselage:

20150414_134708_zpsdpi3mktn.jpg

20150219_192405_zps7eabd3a1.jpg

IMG_1518_zpsb567d415.jpg

Everytime it comes to the point to where we have to remove a part on the kit to make room for another part, and I have to make a cut in the model, I always mess that up.  Like in this instance.

20150415_191135_zps4qamrcdi.jpg

Then I started to glue the cabin to the fuselage.

I may have missed a step or two but bare with me.

-Richard

Gluing the cabin to the fuselage.

First order;

Was to paint the areas that I thought would be a pain to paint after the fuselage closes.

Rear landing gear, I pre-painted just the part that would be in the fuselage when the model is closed.

20150418_180236_zps4mayxbvm.jpg

Pre painted the parts of the roof that also included the rotor and painted the rotor area black while keeping the engine compartment yellow zinc.  

I didn't know why I kept the engine area yellow zinc because I planned on the engine department to be closed.

20150415_185737_zpskwr8btuf.jpg

then I glued the cabin to the fuselage:

20150418_175235_zpsaqbdpm1j.jpg

20150418_175226_zpsilkb789y.jpg

20150418_175208_zpsza4myaji.jpg

When you look at the gunners walls in the picture, they have not been glued to the fuselage as of yet.

-Richard

It will. i guarantee it.

I think so to Oliver.  Now I am use to this kit so I know what to look for and how to build the parts that I want to scratch build.  It is very very different doing a helicopter compared to planes.  The only thing that I was worried about is a resin cockpit.  Now I have to pay attention to the cabin as well as the look of the helo.  Very different, but I do like helicopters, a lot!  

-Richard

Alright now that I have glued the cabin to the fuselage, now the real work starts.   :BANGHEAD2: 

I use Mr. Dissolved putty everywhere except for something that is too big of a gap or if I have to apply a recessed line to it.  So I stared with the parts of the helicopter to remove the seams lines when it cures.

20150418_190533_zps731qev4l.jpg

20150418_190539_zpsvhaps8a3.jpg

On the bottom of the helicopter, the gap was too big so I just used CA glue as a filler.  When I applied the CA glue to the bottom, I followed it with CA accelerator to harden the glue but not rock hard so I could remove the glue when I sand the seams away

20150418_190942_zps9c1jjswd.jpg

After the CA glue is and I made the seams go away..

It may look like there is a gap in the model but there is CA glue in its stead so the bottom looks like one big part.

20150419_133100_zpsqb0wmm1w.jpg

-Richard

While everything was curing, I started to work on the PE parts that were replacements:

20150421_230256_zpssitert47.jpg

20150419_174018_zpsrv2zhyw1.jpg

Then the next thing that I worked on was the part of the helicopter that houses the engine outlets
The first thing I was thinking about doing was taking out the screens on top of the part.  But I figured the only thing that anyone would see is complete darkness even though I took the hole out of the screen in the kit.

So I just decided to paint the part black before I attached the PE screens to it.  None of the PE parts have been attached as of yet.

20150421_205503_zpsycuhnqku.jpg

Then I decided to paint the parts of the housing that would be impossible or very hard to do while everything is glued up.

20150421_195801_zps6skoiogw.jpg

I decided that I did not like the part that Eduard included with the kit so I made my own.  The problem is that when i attached that rod, it was not suppose to look like it does now, it was suppose to be at a slant.

But the CA glue took to it faster that white on rice and it was stuck in that position.  My bad.

20150421_195749_zpsxd36k8hs.jpg

-Richard

Closed the engine cover:

20150421_201207_zpswcuysrfw.jpg

Glued the engine outlets to their housing and glued the housing to the helicopter:

20150425_214751_zpso5bfkntt.jpg

20150425_214829_zpspxypw9og.jpg

20150425_214740_zpsa1uyzflw.jpg

20150425_214705_zpsufbqxzle.jpg

The rotor cowling cover:

20150425_215524_zpsj7jxoxe2.jpg

20150425_215531_zpsezw1wjyh.jpg

Now you can see that I didn't include the railing to the rotor cowling cover.  I could not for the sake of me, get the railing in the right position to go into the cover.  So I took out the railings and I will replace them with L shaped card.

-Richard

So basically you guys have all caught up.  It only took me 5 months to do what I have done so far.  This is the longest I have ever spent on a model.  

And the one thing that I do not have is PATIENCE.   I am always ready to get to the next process for the model that it makes me takes chances on a kit where I would never take a chance.

So I am working on my patience and it is working so far.  So if you look at my build and have any critiques, whether a part is in the wrong place, or something isn't painted the right color, please let me know.  I will attach it to my mental rolodex so I can take that knowledge to my next kit.

Updates coming soon.

-Richard

Thank you guys for the compliments, you guys know how to make a person feel welcomed.

But if you have any critiques about my build, I welcome them.  I believe it will make me a better modeler.

-Richard

Richard I have a Critique  I like to see more of your builds Here :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I've followed this build over on ARC and now I'm a member of LSP following it again.

Great job on the hawk so far!

Tim

Tim :post1:   And hope to see one of your builds soon.

Cheers guys

Alright some more updates.

On the part of the helicopter that houses the engine outlets I attached parts of the out takes. 
Now my Black Hawk is starting to look like a Black Hawk:

20150426_024132_zpsdct7gqo6.jpg

20150426_024234_zpspgxxw8bo.jpg

Just like I said, this is where the real works starts:
I redid the panel lines on the entire helicopter.  I created some panel lines and went over some of the panel lines that were there.

20150426_024220_zpsbdiyzt8k.jpg

On the back part of the helicopter, on the other engine cover, I made a brand new panel line to represent the engine hatch.

20150426_024305_zpslghwy6jl.jpg

-Richard

Now last night I started to add the bumps on top of the helicopter.  LOL

They represent a antenna or something like that.  Man does my ignorance of a helicopter really stand out.

But I do have a question for anyone that knows helicopters and especially Black Hawks.

The configuration of the antennas and everything else on top of  a Black Hawk always seem to be in different places from the reference pictures that I see.  Now these bumps, I placed them exactly where the instructions told me to and I believe that they are correct.  But like I said, I see some Black Hawk that seemed like they have different antennas or sensors (please excuse my ignorance) and placed in a different location than mine.  I don't know if Cobra in their update set has different sensors or what.

But if I placed them in the wrong location, blame it on academy.  LOL   

What you think you should blame me?  Just joking.  

I just followed their instructions.  So if anyone knows about the antennas or sensors, please let me know:

20150426_232626_zpsnnqc2sez.jpg

20150426_232959_zpsuzkz3sql.jpg

20150426_233224_zpse6varg68.jpg

Now the one thing about me is that I talk a lot.  And I cannot write, which is a bad combination to have on a forum.

So if I write something that leaves you scratching your head, it is because I am thinking faster than I can type.   LOL   :mental:

Now that I am into helicopters, the one thing that I was hoping is that they have more helicopter kits in 1/35 scale.  I was online back in January looking for more helicopter kits and there aren't any.   I was hoping to do a AH-64D longbow and a OH-6a Little bird but that kit is no longer being sold.   Of course you can find it on e-bay but the prices are ridiculous, or most of them are.  I have heard of certain kits coming out.  LIke from Black Ops they are suppose to be bringing out a OH-6a little bird and other kits are coming out as well.  But nothing like the planes.

Maybe we will get some over time.  Now back to the helicopter (after I play Madden 15).   :wicked:   

-Richard