Academy UH-60L DAP Black Hawk

Elboogie

Thanks guys.

Painting stage:

So I finally added the last touches that I am going to do with a airbrush.

The first thing I did after pre shading the panel lines last night, I applied the overall color to the aircraft which is Nato Black.

Now the first thing I did with the Nato Black was applied the color to the inside of the pre shaded panel lines.

I was hoping that it gave me a blotchy look for the color and it did.  I wanted the colors that i pre shaded the panel lines with to show through.

20150519_195516_zpsdrvf3qv8.jpg

20150519_195412_zpse63fz0ha.jpg

On the roof, you can see I left it looking more faded.

20150519_195536_zpsu7hlrkun.jpg

The next step that I did was I mixed Nato Black with a little white and then painted in between the nato black that I just did, but slightly.

Now I do not have the lights in my loft area to take great pictures so I am hoping that the colors show through the pictures.

20150519_212118_zpsdfp0cbcc.jpg

20150519_212138_zpsugmcjosx.jpg

20150519_212218_zpshyut6e2k.jpg

Then I used the same mixture of Nato Black and a little of white and I put more white in the mixture to make a even lighter color of Nato Black.

Then I airbrushed the top of the roof and everywhere else there should be more fading.

20150519_212233_zpsnp7qrfk1.jpg

Richard

Then the final step of airbrushing this beast.

I followed up with a slight dusting of Buff to the bottom of the helicopter, mostly the bottom and up the the cabin floors.

20150519_212735_zpsk6s1y5cg.jpg

20150519_212729_zpsjovkff0f.jpg

20150519_212645_zpso7yzad5n.jpg

20150519_212507_zpsnjygevna.jpg

Now because of the lighting in my loft, it does not show the helicopter like I wanted it to.  But trust me, it looks bad ass!!!       :punk:

Following what Oliver told me about using different colors as a pre shade other that black will give your final color a lot of life, really helped me out with my Black Hawk.

Now the only thing that I have to do I paint the little things on the helicopter like the nose etc, I hope you guys like it so far.

Richard

Rich,

Looks really good, your paint job is stunning. I like it. 

If you want you can add some extra shading in some areas with your blue mix....your call.

The dusting is perfect. dont add any more effect.

Oliver

Great piant job. Amazing . I have a small question. I am building Super 61. For what i see is that Super 61 is more black than this bird. Can you please help me a little. Nato black looks on my screen a little grey. So what is a good black colour?

Looks great!   The fading and pre-shading do bring life to the paint, even if not the best lighting.   I do find that and and all extra lighting you can get only helps.................both in photography and the building itself.

Rich,

Looks really good, your paint job is stunning. I like it. 

If you want you can add some extra shading in some areas with your blue mix....your call.

The dusting is perfect. dont add any more effect.

Oliver

Thanks Oliver.

I followed the steps just like you said and it made my painting so much easier.

I won't add any more buff to the helicopter, just like you said, I don't want to over do it.

Thank you for your help Oliver, you open my mind up to endless colors for pre shading a helicopter or airplane, I really appreciate your help.

Richard

Edited by Elboogie

Great piant job. Amazing . I have a small question. I am building Super 61. For what i see is that Super 61 is more black than this bird. Can you please help me a little. Nato black looks on my screen a little grey. So what is a good black colour?

It only looks Grey because of the lighting in my loft area.  It does not look grey to my eyes.  It looks like it was in service for a while.  I did not want the "fresh out of the factory" look.

That is the reason why I chose Nato Black.   And also if you paint the model all Black, you won't see the pre shading that you do for the helicopter.  But other than the Nato Black that I chose, if you want 

a Blacker color then use Flat Black as your final coat.

Richard

Looks great!   The fading and pre-shading do bring life to the paint, even if not the best lighting.   I do find that and and all extra lighting you can get only helps.................both in photography and the building itself.

I am trying.  I hope that I do the helicopter justice when I am done.  lol

Thanks for the support

Richard

Tanks for the answer. So far i found out Super61 whas a little fade out. And had a little dirty looks. So i read again and again your post and these form Olivier. So i hope to learn how to make a badass Super61.

Gr.

Rogier

Tanks for the answer. So far i found out Super61 whas a little fade out. And had a little dirty looks. So i read again and again your post and these form Olivier. So i hope to learn how to make a badass Super61.

Gr.

Rogier

Even though this is my first helicopter, it seems like the reference pictures that I look at, yes the Black Hawk are black but none of them actually look like the color of "black" when they have been out 

in service for awhile.  I wanted my helicopter to look used, like it was in service for a couple of years in a sandy environment.

Richard

Started adding the other colors that I have to add before I add Mr. Super Clear to the Hawk.

I started adding black to the nose area:

I didn't add gloss back to the nose area because when I add Super Clear to the helicopter, I will not dullcote that area and it will remain glossy.

I still need to add the white stripes.

20150520_133142_zpsdp564b29.jpg

On the tail part of the helicopter, Academy includes a decal for this section of black that you have to add to the tail.

In my opinion, I do not like to use decals where I can just paint that section in and make it looks like paint instead of a decal.  Just my opinion.

Plus it is simple to do.

20150520_133125_zpswtwdmd0a.jpg

Now that I added Flat Black to my helicopter, in the light of the pictures, it does make my DAP look almost grey.  But it isn't.

Then I started to add detail to the DAP, like the front of the IFR probe:

20150520_135032_zpsdzebakbq.jpg

Detailing the wires on the landing gear.

20150520_133337_zps1mmnmiou.jpg

20150520_133210_zpsr0987puq.jpg

The rear landing gear wires and the rubber stop on top of the rear landing gear.

20150520_133311_zpsxa7ueugp.jpg

Back to the airbrush.

Richard

I got my figures and my Vallejo Paints, now I have 35 bottles and starting to get more Vallejo:     :clap2:

20150520_152944_zpscakxbvkd.jpg

Alright the last thing that I wanted to do is the little strips on the nose area before I do my gloss coat.

20150520_153321_zps8dtvj3lj.jpg

I did this a little while ago.  I have since applied the gloss coat to the model.  I will update when the gloss coat settles in.

Richard