Academy UH-60L DAP Black Hawk

Elboogie

Thank you Oliver.

But don't take that time away from your build.  Whenever you can post something is alright with me.

So I started doing small things to my helicopter.

I took off the window mask and I was hoping that I didn't paint anything on the inside of my window, and alas, I did not!!   :clap2:

And It really looks good on the Diorama, which I hope I can finish before I have to go back to work.

20150525_011534_zps1tszlalc.jpg

Then I glued in my windows to the cabin door, and placed the cabin doors on the helicopter.

20150525_011602_zpsxjbmgjv3.jpg

20150525_011721_zpsjgdsrenk.jpg

Then the strobe lights on the top of the tail and below the helicopter.

20150525_011642_zps5i8ih1gz.jpg

20150525_011732_zps8jylbqui.jpg

Not a lot of work tonight.  I will tell you what happened to my rotor blades tomorrow.    :BANGHEAD2:

The rotor blades are together and looks good but it took me a hour and a half to fix the problem.

Richard

Your helo is looking great Richard. You should be proud!

Really, really nice blackhawk!

Tim

Yeah I am really proud of the job that I did on the Black Hawk.

I will list the things that I did not do well when I post my final pictures when I am done with everything.  lol

But thank you for the compliment.

Richard

It looks really nice Richard! great build I have really enjoyed watching it como to life!

Having that tutorial from Oliver will be great for lots of us eager to push our skills to get better! thanks to both for sharing with us!

So, let me tell you guys what happened when I started to put my rotors together.

Now there is a nub on the rotor that is suppose to be attached to the main rotor assembly.  I had all 4 rotor in their places and then one nub broke off and the rotor blades was detached from the main rotor assembly.  Then another starting breaking, along with another.  Now looking at the nub on the rotor blades, something told me to drill these points out and insert a steel rod to make them more solid.

So now that 3 of my rotor blades are off of the main rotor assembly, I basically got a little upset and was wondering on how to fix the problem.

SO I just filed the nubs completely off of the rotor and I drilled a spot in the rotor blades and a hole in the main rotor assembly.  Inserted a steel rod in their place and carefully set the rotors in place.

THEN one of the rotors broke because of the hole that I put in the main rotor assembly.

NOW I AM PISSED OFF!!!!    :BANGHEAD2:  :BANGHEAD2:  :BANGHEAD2:

So I did a Whooo saaaa, got a drink, took a hour away from the model, and then went back to it.

How in the hell was I going to fix this problem.  Fortunately, the part that broke still held its shape so all that I had to do was glue the part together but because the part that broke was holding up the rotor blade, I didn't think it would hold.  SO I went back to the problem and inserted a small pin in the part that broke and then glued the pin.

Now the part that broke will hold the rotor blade so I carefully glued the part and even though I hate to use this, I used CA accelerator and everything glued together strong.

Now the rotors look correct:

20150525_172330_zpslciqmspy.jpg

But I still have more cables to add to the rotors but I don't have guitar string that is that scale because Family Music Center is closed because of the holidays, so I have to pick up some guitar strings tomorrow and complete the rotors.

I added on my tail rotor to the Helicopter but I know that the tail rotor is suppose to be canted but is it suppose to be that canted?

20150525_163356_zpspx26mogd.jpg

I think I added the tail rotor on there right.

Still have a lot of work to do.

Richard

Just a little update on my diorama.

I finished the concrete blocks that I created for the diorama.  I am still not sure whether I will add them or not.

20150525_211032_zpsbor1inr8.jpg

Richard

While almost everything is attached to the helicopter.

Except for the munitions.  I am waiting for stuff to set on the helicopter and then I will start working on the guns and other stuff.

This has been my longest build to date (since December of last year) so I am glad you guys are along to help me.

I started working on my figure that I am including in the model.  It is Legend productions Sgt. Rob (18 bravo) in Iraq.

The first thing that I did when I opened the package was ask myself, what did I get myself into?  I love the details on this figure.

So after everything is detached from their resin base, the arms didn't match together.  It was something that I anticipated.

So I grabbed the Milliput and proceded to fill in the gaps on the arms.

20150525_220821_zpsav06o5qs.jpg

20150525_220800_zpsy0ffhiuv.jpg

20150525_220728_zps3aucdmiw.jpg

20150525_220716_zpsxckxgzgx.jpg

Of course when the milliput cures, I will sand the milliput to shape and then I will add on the hands and weapon.

I hate the weapons because they are so small.   lol

Richard

Ralph use a q-tip dipped in water to blend the milliput. Before it cures. That will reduce your sanding. Apart from that it looks great

Cheers

Edited by Vandy 1 VX 4

Ralph use a q-tip dipped in water to blend the milliput. Before it cures. That will reduce your sanding. Apart from that it looks great

Cheers

Yeah I did that exact thing for the milliput.  Thanks for the suggestion.

I think it will look ok when I am done sanding it.

Richard

Very nice build :yahoo:

As for the rotors: **** happens :( ...

OK, I've started to muster the helo kits in my stash :whistle:  Because of your build :punk:

- dutik

Pull it out of the stash.  This is my first helicopter and since I have been building this Black Hawk, I have acquired 3 more helicopter models that I plan on doing.

Helicopters are a little different but I like them. 

Richard

Yeah I did that exact thing for the milliput.  Thanks for the suggestion.

I think it will look ok when I am done sanding it.

Richard

I was checking out your work on my phone. It looked different :hmmm:

Cheers

Here's a little story:

So I am working on my model and my wife comes up to see what I am doing.

Now naturally, I always ask my wife how my model looks after weathering happens.  She is the greatest person to ask her opinion because of two reasons.

#1.  She will tell you the truth.

#2.  She doesn't know what the helicopter should look like and has no interest in planes or helicopters.  

So I figured I would ask someone who doesn't know what the helicopter looks for their opinion.

Now most of the time she is happy with the model so far and she always compliments me on my build.....

BUT.....

This time she looked at the diorama first and she thought that was excellent.

Then she looked at my Helicopter and she just stared at it.  Then she said......

"Looks Incomplete."

I looked at her with a confused look on my face.  Then she said, "the model looks incomplete.  The bottom of the helicopter looks good but the rest of the helicopter looks like it just came out of the factory."

I looked at her with a look as if to say "what the hell does she know about something coming from the factory?"   LOL

She just said that the top of the helicopter looks pristine almost new,  and the rest of the helicopter looks like it has been there for a while.  Her words.

She is absolutely correct.

So I looked at the helicopter and it does look to "pristine"  lol.

So I broke out the Europe Dust pigment and started to do the panel lines.  Now on the pictures, I don't know if I have enough light to show you guys but here they are:

20150526_200053_zpsezehgeri.jpg

20150526_200206_zpsqjmnwkya.jpg

20150526_200215_zpswfyjappo.jpg

I wanted to add the Europe Dust very lightly over the Helicopter.   Now I asked my wife, now how does it look?

She came over and took a look and said, now it looks complete and in use.  Then she looked at my diorama and said she doesn't like the concrete blocks.  So I was thinking about doing better ones.

20150526_201752_zpszn89ctlq.jpg

Then she went back to her computer.  Gotta love the wife.  She keeps it real.

So I started to add my tail rotor to the helicopter. 

Now the tail rotor.  You know when you do a project and something really looks good?  The airbrushing and the silver dry brushing.  To me the tail rotor is the part that I am most proud of out of the whole helicopter.

20150526_200116_zpso3vlfzhu.jpg

Then I started to add the swivel arms to the miniguns:

20150526_200124_zpsl0rcjqua.jpg

I have another problem that I think I am going to run into, but we will see.  IF I run into the problem, I will let you know.  lol

Richard

I was checking out your work on my phone. It looked different :hmmm:

Cheers

How does it look different?

Is it because you are viewing thru your phone?

That is strange.  I am a IT person with sprint, and I know that when I look at LSP thru my phone, some peoples build looks a little different than when I am viewing thru my computer.

Strange.

Richard