Academy UH-60L DAP Black Hawk

Elboogie

One question that I have for you guys.

What the heck is part A8 and should it be on my Black Hawk.  I have never seen a reference picture what that part on the helicopter.

I am sure it represents something but I don't know what.  

20150518_003333_zpsmjzj4ykv.jpg

And there is a hold that occupies that part in the helicopter.  So what is part A8 and should it be on my helicopter or do I fill the holes?

20150518_003359_zpszavidngo.jpg

Richard

Just a suggestion but try using a wet palette when painting your figure. It's great for mixing colours and prevents your paints drying out too quickly. This website has some great tutorials for figure painting http://massivevoodoo.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/how-to-wet-palette-20.html?m=1

I was planning on going to Michaels art store and getting a wet pallette, It was one of the things on my list but I forgot it when I went to Michaels the other day.

Thanks for reminding me.

Richard

So my paints came in today in the mail.

So I started to pre shade the Black Hawk.

The first color that I chose was black and I applied that over the panel lines and all over the helicopter.

20150518_150026_zps9ogck1ri.jpg

20150518_150120_zpsjefs3wrt.jpg

20150518_150133_zpst59fcm5a.jpg

Now the second color that I chose to pre shade the helicopter was Earth Red, and I went over the black preshading that I just did.

I wanted the helicopter looks like it serves in a sandy environment.

20150518_151659_zpsgxxp6vbs.jpg

20150518_151708_zpsilanmvux.jpg

The last color I chose the preshade the bird was Buff.

I only added that to the helicopter where dust will develop from the landings in a sandy enviroment.

20150518_152905_zpsjwtdakys.jpg

20150518_152843_zpssbpqywvj.jpg

20150518_152833_zpsw0vnwu7e.jpg

Now I will do the final colors of the helicopter tonight.  I will add Nato Black and lighten some of the panel lines with Nato Black and a little white.

Hopefully that will match the look that I have inside my head.

Richard

Pre shading the  inside of your panels in white or buff color, That will give a head start on your  main Helo green color and add an extra dimension to your green. The top of your helo (if you choose) should a little more faded than the sides.. Please try it on scrap plastic first and not on your helo.

Looking good so far.

Oliver

Pre shading the  inside of your panels in white or buff color, That will give a head start on your  main Helo green color and add an extra dimension to your green. The top of your helo (if you choose) should a little more faded than the sides.. Please try it on scrap plastic first and not on your helo.

Looking good so far.

Oliver

I want to do my helicopter black in color.  That is why i chose a black pre shaded color.  If I do the helicopter in Nato Black, does the same process still apply (preshading my panels in buff or white)?    But I will be interested on how I can make the helicopter black (or Nato Black) and the colors will still show through.  Any advice will help me out a lot Oliver.

Richard

Edited by Elboogie

I want to do my helicopter black in color.  That is why i chose a black pre shaded color.  But I will be interested on how I can make the helicopter black (or Nato Black) and the colors will still show through.  Any advice will help me out a lot Oliver.

Richard

Sorry, I thought you were doing OD green...ooops

This is what I would do, you might hear from other modelers on painting black...always good to hear other versions.

Paint your helo Nato black first (this is your primer first color so to speak) then preshade all panel lines with nato black mixed with flat blue( this will deepen your black creating shadows ( you can go heavy or not with this)). Use flat brown( diluted) and spray only bottom of helo and up to the bottom of doors and bottom tail boom( this will give some extra  shading for upcoming dusting work later on (go easy on the brown).

Mixe your nato black with a touch of white or grey to begin your main color of the helo ( this is your main paint job so small coats at a time)...this now gives you and extra color of shading to work from. You can add extra white to your nato black color for the inside of the panel work.. Good luck and please try this on scarp piece of plastic first. you may not get right at the first ( i know i didn't) but play with the colors you will be surprised how much you will create using that combination of color.

Once you are happy with your helo color, you may want to use light sand or buff color to duplicate sand dust  for the bottom of your helo(go easy on this one its easy to over to do it.)

This is how I paint all my black stuff. 

Remember we only learn when we make mistakes...sounds funny but true.

Good luck and I am here if you need me.

Oliver

Ok Oliver I hear you.
The first thing I did was try this on a scrap piece of plastic.  I started messing with my paints.  So I did a preshade of black over the panel lines.

Then I painted the inside of the lines, one with white and one with buff.

20150518_182813_zps5cate28l.jpg

Then I added Nato Black over the white and buff.  I did the middle of the panel full color and then I shaded some of the sides to see what each color would look like on my bird.

20150518_183746_zpsryrgdbbf.jpg

I like the Nato Black over Buff for this type of sandy environment.  It makes the colors look more warm to me.  The Nato Black over white, I would probably use that for a naval helicopter like the MH-60s.

That is just my opinion.  But I will follow your instructions on how you paint black but I think I will add more buff (not a lot) over the panels lines as well.  This is the reason why it takes you guys so long to paint your helicopter, you have patience.  I am very impatient and I am always looking a step ahead.  But this is the perfect time to mess with paints and different combinations of colors to see what I can create.  Thanks for your help Oliver, I will update you on every step of the helicopter to see what you and others think.

Richard

Ok first thing I did (after trying this on a scrap piece of plastic) was followed Oliver instruction on creating a black color to the model.

First thing I did was create the Nato black and flat blue paint:

20150518_190259_zps23dbdfmo.jpg

Then I repainted the pre shading for the panel lines with that color.

20150518_191834_zpsnj18fxs1.jpg

20150518_191824_zpsxkavrtze.jpg

20150518_191758_zpsepoyfqgu.jpg

Now I will use a dilluted color of flat brown and this time I will add a little buff and follow what Oliver said and do the bottom of the aircraft up the the cabin entrance doors to prepare it for dusting after I am done.

But I have to cook, be back in a little bit.

Richard

So the last step of preshading this bird is using a mixture of earth red and buff and using it sparingly, 

I applied the paint to the bottom of the aircraft and along the sides up to where the cabin entrance is.

And every where else it will gather sand or dust being in a sandy enviroment.

20150518_204043_zpsndunysya.jpg

20150518_203551_zpsytedomwx.jpg

20150518_204104_zps62w1nvd0.jpg

20150518_204047_zpscqwmcjpj.jpg

So that is it for tonight.  I will start my final colors tomorrow, and then the real works start.

Richard