Academy UH-60L DAP Black Hawk

Elboogie

Looks great!   I know you and others hate PE, but Ill tell you it really adds to your model in the best way.  I dont think the end result of those parts would be nearly as fine if represented in IM VS PE.

Keep going, looks really good so far. :D

You are absolutely correct, the PE parts add detail to a model.  But I am still learning putting on PE parts with glue to where the PE parts won't have glue on them and all over the aircraft.

But I am getting a liitle bit better with PE parts, I just have to get use to them.  But thanks for looking in on my build.  I hope I am doing the DAP justice because it is my first helicopter.

Richard

Wow Richard! you've gone a looong way! your build is going awesome! I'm learning so many things fro it! can't wait for the painting process

I can't wait to START with the painting process as well.  But I have a lot of work to do on the model before I even thinking about the painting process.

But thank you for the support.  

Richard

You are absolutely correct, the PE parts add detail to a model.  But I am still learning putting on PE parts with glue to where the PE parts won't have glue on them and all over the aircraft.

But I am getting a liitle bit better with PE parts, I just have to get use to them.  But thanks for looking in on my build.  I hope I am doing the DAP justice because it is my first helicopter.

Richard

If you can ever justify the expense, THIS little gizmo is WELL worth the loot.  I dont use it ALL the time on EVERY piece of PE, but for the larger stuff that has long bend runs in them, its a godsend.

If you can ever justify the expense, THIS little gizmo is WELL worth the loot.  I dont use it ALL the time on EVERY piece of PE, but for the larger stuff that has long bend runs in them, its a godsend.

I have a PE bender and it almost looks like the one in the picture.  It not the bending, it is the gluing.  I always add too little or too much and or I place the right amount of CA and I put it in the wrong position.  Stuff like that.  lol   

But they are their worth in gold.

Richard

A little far ahead of myself.  

I started my diorama.  I put plaster of paris all over the diorama in the way that I wanted the terrain to look.

I still have not started sanding the plaster, but that will happen next.

20150514_172548_zpsk11idncr.jpg

If you look at this picture, you can see where I want the road positioned.

20150514_172638_zpsnjjj2wp5.jpg

I taped the border of the base so when the sanding and putting on the sand etc is done, it won't be on the base.  and I picked the base up from Michales for about $8.

Also:
I started my collections of Vallejo paints (about 38 bottles so far) and I started messing with them on old pilots that I have in my stash.
Watching a lot of you tube from Michigan Soldier Company about painting with Vallejo on 1/35 scale figures.   
I hope I can make them look decent.

20150514_141834_zpsrzghw2pi.jpg

more updates later.

Richard

Alright now I am back.

Last night when I came back from Reno, I started to add on the last things on my helicopter, the static wicks (PE) on the tail and also other antennas. 

Then I started to prime the bird with Surfacer 1200 from the can.

20150515_113757_zps62r5ayzn.jpg

20150515_113835_zpsusongqlm.jpg

20150515_113910_zpscsjq0y3s.jpg

On a side note:

I started to work on my diorama:

I started sanding the plaster and you can see where my road is going.  I did some more plaster work this morning to straighten everything out. 

I will post those pictures when everything is done.

20150515_031342_zpsymbamkq0.jpg

One question though.  I wanted to add this figure in the diorama.

KGrHqRHJDoE9BKw9V-jBPgZg1fGdg60_12_zpsgn

But I don't know what color the uniform should be.  The soldier is in IRAN or somewhere there will be a sanded environment.

But I don't know what the colors are.  Now the soldier may not be the right soldier for Iran or somewhere sandy but I am depicting the soldier that way.

If anyone has any suggestion on how the uniform would look, please let me know.

Richard

Ok, I have been working on everyting EXCEPT my Helicopter.

I have been working on my diorama.  I canned the last diorama that I did.  Went back to Michaels and brought another base and also some balsa wood.

So now that I am working on my first helicopter, I plan on doing a lot more, I decided to start getting products for the diorama that I will do in the future.

As I mentioned, the diorama's that I have done in the past was for airplanes and it ALWAYS included a flight deck.  Now that I am into doing helicopters, they can land almost anywhere, which will lead to interesting dioramas.

So I went on Woodland Scenics website and I bought a lot of turf, ballast, bushes, high grass in every color, glue and scenic glue.  I even bought some of the pigments and they are amazing for creating paint for the rocks and the ground as well.

I redid the base all together by not putting on too much plaster and now that I know in my head how I want the ground work to go, it was much easier to do me diorama, the second time.

In the picture, I taped that area where the road will go.  And I even tried to make some ammo cases out of popsicles and styrene.  My scratch building skills are not that good but I decided I would try.   lol

20150516_185732_zpszxocvkft.jpg

20150516_185719_zpsehfhtvq1.jpg

20150516_185748_zpsrnlvlekm.jpg

The ammo cases won't be used in the finish diorama, I was "field testing" them, I will recreate them.

The second thing I did which does not include modelling, I created a case for the Vallejo model paints that I got and that I am about to get.

20150516_185036_zpsxzswkqry.jpg

20150516_185054_zpsggf0qos0.jpg

I have always wanted to paint a figure, so I am starting to get the paints and the paint brushes to do that.  

Later tonight or tomorrow, I will start to paint my DAP.  Wish me luck, my airbrushing skills are not that great.

Richard

Richard,

When your ready to start painting that figure, let me know and I will give you a list of Valejo colors I use for the 3 color DCU's.

Thanks Sgtepi.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I have never done a figure before except for japanese figure I did for My Tamiya Zero.  And I did that using Tamiya bottles and a little thinner.  lol

20150516_222556_zpssq5gbxuo.jpg

Like I said, I have been watching a lot of youtube on painting 1/35 scale figures so I hope that it is getting into this head of mine.  But we will see.

I will let you know when I get the paints, it should be the earlier part of the week, so you can give me the colors for the 3 color DCU's.

Richard

If you did that figure with Tamiya paints, can't wait to see what you do with the Valejo paints!!!!!!!!!!!! Very good work on that figure.

We will see.  lol

Thanks for the support.

Richard

Alright.  While I am waiting to get my paints in the mail, I did further work with my Diorama.

The reason why the bird has not been painted yet is because I am still waiting for the colors that I plan on doing the preshading with.

Now last night, after having a couple of beers, I decided to pull out the Milliputt.  I have never worked with this product before but I have a couple of boxes of them.

So while I had liquid courage, I decided to make sand bags.    :mental:

Once again, I referred to you tube and watched someone making sand bags with milliputty, so I followed the video.

I made the sand bags around the area that I wanted them to create a small wall.  Now my sandbags do not look like the ones in the video that I was following but I don't think they look bad.

You can even see where bullets have landed in the sand bags after a small attack.  At least that is the look that I was looking for.   lol

20150517_041058_zpsjqmatdf1.jpg

20150517_041131_zpsfx5szkcg.jpg

20150517_041209_zpsh4x6qqsz.jpg

20150517_041115_zpsxdpe2ys9.jpg

I checked the scale of the sand bags against a 1/32 scale figure and they don't seem too out of scale.

20150517_172329_zpskbkbaqqy.jpg

And I made the wall removable for painting the sandbags without interupting the ground cover.

20150517_172102_zpssucl17lh.jpg

Now the objects in the background.

Now this is not a actual representation of the mini gun, the base was something that I created.

20150517_041341_zpsyaqrvwpq.jpg

I plan on putting the mini-gun behind the wall for to cover the Black Hawk when it lands.

Once again the base of the stand of the mini-gun is something that I created, it is not a actual representation of a actual base and weapons.

Can't wait for my paints to come.

Richard