Academy UH-60L DAP Black Hawk

Elboogie

Alright while my windshield was still curing, I took to the sub assemblies on the helicopter.

Chaff and Flare:

From the information that you guys and other people in ARC told me, the chaff should be faced up so the chaff gets distributed on the rotors and the flares point down.  

20150511_141451_zpsygjbhjuo.jpg

20150511_141259_zps4jk9zr3t.jpg

Now one of the things that I saw is when I put on the wheels on the helicopter, the right wheel did not set correctly.  It may because of the legs of the wheel was inserted a little incorrect.

But one of the things that I cannot stand is when the model is set correctly but one of the wheels is not.  So I took steps to correct the mistake that I did.  What I did was used a razor

saw and I cut into the peg that the wheels go on, but not all the way.  Then I set the peg to the right position and then used CA glue and accelerator to fix the part:  I hope that I am making sense.

The wheel on the left side of the picture was in this position that I drew in:

20150511_210422_zpsxrfdtjxv.jpg

What I did to solve the problem:

Little razor cut and a liitle CA glue and accelerator.

20150511_172715_zpskpnqrjtj.jpg

Now the wheels are in the right position:

20150511_210422_zpsplt0fmsj.jpg

The FLIR:

There was no way to make the seams go away without taking off the fine detail, so I proceeded the best that I could:

20150511_141617_zpsxisjf0oc.jpg

Then I added that to the helicopter:

20150511_141844_zpslhuaazte.jpg

Then I added the little nose to the helicopter.  But I had to put Tamiya putty around some of the sides of the nose because the fit was not perfect.

In the pictures, I still have a lot of sanding to do so mine the mess.  

20150511_173924_zpsirfdy056.jpg

20150511_173908_zpszoloa5cu.jpg

And the last thing I did was the disco ball:

But it is not glued to the helicopter.

20150511_144138_zpsmu0rcxcn.jpg

I will continue to build my sub assemblies on the bird.  And then I will sand, and sand, and sand the helicopter to get it ready for priming.

Richard

You have the chaff and flare buckets backwards, the ones that are angled out on both sides are the newer flare buckets and the chaff is the older one you have facing down.  Is there any way you can switch them around still.  Looking good so far Yeah I hate to see wheels like that too good fix on yours well done.  Like the PE as well

Unfortunately they are already glued.  But I will take that knowledge with me when I start my MH-60s build.  

Thanks for the information Erick, your information has been very useful in helping me with this kit.  Especially to a first time helicopter builder.

Richard

Construction Inquiry:

The little sensors in the front to the right of the nose of the helicopter.

Is the sensor (I have no idea what that part is....lol) seated correctly or do I have to move it.  

20150511_233412_zpspvwcb9mt.jpg

I see a lot of different reference pictures but they are not always in the same spot.  It may because the model that I am looking at is a little older variant, I don't know.

I just wanted to know before I glue them to the helicopter and then I found out I should have glued them differently.  Thanks.

Richard

I could not live with myself.

I learned that I had the chaff and flare protectors backwards, and I was going to leave it like that.

But what type of modeler would I be, especially if I have the tools to do this little projected that I created.      :BANGHEAD2:

20150512_000845_zpsm1ij2uwy.jpg

And the right side.  Please note, I took off the big PE part that is suppose to go there.

When I have to remove PE parts and glue them back again, to me it doesn't look right.  But I will only prime and paint the part, as long as I didn't lose detail on the PE part, 

I should be good:

20150512_000748_zpszcmpxtqb.jpg

Now I have to sand the entire right side and a small side of the left fuselage to get rid of the ca marks and then rivet the holes again.  This will take me a little bit.  

Not too many updates until Thursday or Friday because I have to take a 8 hour drive, back and forth to Reno to pick up my son from his first year of college.  

Go wolfpack!!

Richard

Looks good.  Glad to see you chose to make the correction.

You may want to pin that axle.  Cutting it weakened an already stressed point.

Sincerely,

Mark

I will do that Mark.  Thanks for the heads up.

Richard

Last update until Thursday.

Sanded the entire left side of the fuselage and some of the right side.

Then I used a tool that I got in the mail last week.

20150512_122211_zpsanvjwmwt.jpg

Then I took the time to do the rivets that I sanded down.  Took me a while but I did it.

I still have not aired the sand out of the rivets yet.

20150512_122246_zpseoq1vgho.jpg

Now I have the flare and chaff protectors in their right position:

20150512_125606_zpscxtavfij.jpg

20150512_125624_zpsnxfse1gt.jpg

And I haven't even started my diorama yet.  So much work to do before I think about priming it.

See you guys on Thursday.

Richard

Ok, one more update before I leave.

I finished the PE parts to the front of the helicopter.

Once again, I hate PE parts.  It took me a half an hour to do these parts.

20150512_135109_zpsytuh83ty.jpg

On the PE parts in the middle near the windshield, I placed two 2mm rods but the one on the left didn't come out correct and has been replaced.

20150512_135120_zpsocyo8mfz.jpg

20150512_135238_zpsrbhxepix.jpg

Then I added the refueling probe to the helicopter.

20150512_140317_zpsv1cufbyq.jpg

20150512_140811_zpsyvjaapp0.jpg

20150512_140734_zpsqokqke0f.jpg

Now I will leave it like it is and let it cure while I am away.  When I get back to the model, I will start resanding the helicopter and filling out spots and then everything else.

Richard

Looks great!   I know you and others hate PE, but Ill tell you it really adds to your model in the best way.  I dont think the end result of those parts would be nearly as fine if represented in IM VS PE.

Keep going, looks really good so far. :D