Academy UH-60L DAP Black Hawk

Elboogie

the part for the stabilator accuator is in the kit it is A9 it is next to the collectives and the fuel dump pipe

Man you are helping out a lot Erick.  I was about to make a makeshift accuator because I could not find it in the kit.  

Thank you very much.  I think I will replace the fairing with plasticard.  I really appreciate your information.

Richard

I glued the tail to the helo:

20150508_195754_zpssp1wdfvo.jpg

20150508_195806_zps5jmwtsbg.jpg

20150508_195823_zpsbovois6c.jpg

I don't know what order you guys put your helicopter together  ( the cabin first, then glue the cabin to the fuselage, then you insert the windows etc) but I am doing this helicopter  this way.

Now I don't know if gluing this part before another part will increase the risk of me breaking something off while I handle the helicopter, but we will see.

I have a order of completing a airplane, but not a helicopter.

-Richard

Before I add the stab actuator in the tail section, I was wondering how my windshield fitted now that the chin windows glue has dried:

So on the left side of the windshield, the attaching points at the top of the helicopter and between the chin windows, it was a fine match.

20150509_1724331_zpskbubnhm2.jpg

On the right side the attachment points for the windshield match up perfectly.

20150509_1725591_zpsajc7rf8v.jpg

But the slight problem that I am having is with the windshield meeting the fuselage at the bottom of the windshield.

I put a little circle over the part that is not matching.  It seems like the windshield is lower than the fulesage.

20150509_1726391_zps6lspmy0y.jpg

20150509_1726191_zpsm0ccjmv5.jpg

Now I think I have a solution.  I can add some very small strips of plasticard between the windshield and that fuselage and sand everything flushed with each other.

BUT if I do that, I risk the loss of detailing, in other words the rivets on the windshield.  I will try to tape over the rivets but that will take me some time to make the 

plasticard strips flush with the helicopter.

If anyone has some suggestions, any feedback would be useful.

-Richard

Dont worry about the rivets, sand all rivets at the bottom of windshield. Concentrate on fixing the gap. Once thats done you can replace all lost rivets with rivets from Archer. Good luck.

Btw...eduard photowtched for the S model is available, i just ordered it.

i meant to say first that you are doing a fine job with your helo.

iliver

Another question.

In the manual, it said to add part B67 to the tail section.  Now the part looks nothing like the picture in the instructions.  

20150509_195117_zpsbbqyn2wf.jpg

And I did, but when I look at reference pictures, I don't see that part on the tails. And the question is, should I have added that part?  

There was a hole in the tail section to seat that part.

Now I haven't added the stab acuator to the tail section yet, but what is that part that I added to the tail?

My tail:

20150508_195823_zpsvsq2izkk.jpg

It looks like a stopper to stop the tail going to far up.  Almost like the rear landing gear rubber piece on top of the gear:

-Richard

Dont worry about the rivets, sand all rivets at the bottom of windshield. Concentrate on fixing the gap. Once thats done you can replace all lost rivets with rivets from Archer. Good luck.

Btw...eduard photowtched for the S model is available, i just ordered it.

i meant to say first that you are doing a fine job with your helo.

iliver

Thanks Oliver.

I looked at the photo parts sets for the MH-60s but I am not ready to order them yet.  I am concentrating on this build.  Did you buy them seperate on a BIG ED set?  I only found the sets seperate.

On the set it looks like they tried to fix some things with the kit.  Included a cabin floor and roof.  Also FOD covers for the engines, which i thought was a good thing to have.

I will follow your instructions with the gap, it gives me a chance to finally use my rivets from Archer, but that is another problem that we will address when I get to them.  LOL

Thanks for the instructions 

Richard

Take the stab actuator and move it up further underneath the fairing as shown here. 

20150508_195823_zpsbovois6c1.jpgstupid.jpg

Now I get it Erick

That is the stab acuator which I have in my tail and that connects to the upper stabilator control rod.

The tail art is correct.   I am with stupid.  

I will move it to the correct position.

Richard

Ok guys, here is another question that I am confused about:

20150509_2138241_zps634krzjo.jpg

Damn these instructions!!   :BANGHEAD2:

I wish they were more detailed.  Even though I have never built a helicopter before, I can still read directions, especially if they more detailed.

Thanks for answering what seems to be a stupid question in advance.

Richard

One last update for the night.

I added the struts to my ESSS wings and I tape the ESSS wings in place to let the struts cure.

You may have noticed I detailed the pylon a little.  It looked to bare to me:

20150509_235123_zpsy2rjt2bh.jpg

Now the pictures of the strut in place:

20150509_232601_zpssz5luyr7.jpg

20150509_232711_zpscsywq8t8.jpg

20150509_232856_zpsogizb1va.jpg

I removed the fairings from the helicopter and I replaced the fairings with .015 pieces of placticard.  I didn't like that spot bare.

And it was a suggestion from Erick and it made sense.  Thanks Erick.

Wow, now my helicopter is starting to look like a DAP!!

Richard

not sure what the upper part is but that doesn't go on the stab but the bottom one does for sure.  That is the stab actuator.  The ESSS looks really good now that you put that plastic in place it set just right.  Looks good

It was a part that  academy says that belongs on the tail, but just like I said, I have never seen that part on a black hawk tail before.  I will just add the stab actuator to the tail section.

And thank you Erick on the tip to add plasticard to that spot.  Now everything looks correct.  

Richard

Here goes the window.

Now to complete this task I use MM liguid cement:

20150510_165240_zpsw8nebwfv.jpg

Now I have seen people use Tamiya thin cement and I used Gator Grip for the chin windows.  But I like this product because there is no fogging of the windows and it allow you to place the part, and if you had to move the part around to a better position, even after 10 minutes.

Now the first thing that I did was remove the tape from the ESSS wings strut after the glue on the struts cured, and then glued the ESSS wings to the helicopter.

20150510_165317_zpsti3mdcrk.jpg

20150510_165358_zpsx2467xqs.jpg

The windows:

Now I have glued the windows and even though I put pressure underneath the front of the helicopter, I could not get rid of the gap on the front of the windshield.  My windows are still curing so mind the tape.

20150510_165331_zpszgvqdeo6.jpg

Side attachments near the chin windows are near perfect.

20150510_165304_zpspe3st2kr.jpg

20150510_165347_zpsnlu3czbq.jpg

Now before I glued the ESSS wings to the helicopter, I started to block out my cabin entrance and the gunners windows preparing it for painting.

More will be added to the foam in the cabin entrances and gunners windows before I prime the DAP.

20150510_165411_zpsckkc7gym.jpg

20150510_165426_zpslvyox7ci.jpg

Now in the meantime while my window is curing, I will start to add everything else the bird that won't interrupt my sanding of the gap in the front windshield.

My helicopter is starting to look the part:

20150510_165508_zpskxb8sjzr.jpg

-Richard

She's coming along beautifully Richard, you're doing a great job so far. You're almost home my friend!

Tim

Thanks Tim.

I am trying to be patient because the painting is what I enjoy, even though I cannot airbrush but I am learning.

Richard