Academy UH-60L DAP Black Hawk

Elboogie

The only problem that I am trying to solve, is what do I do next?  How can I add my landing gear legs or the rear tail to the helicopter without breaking the parts after gluing them.  On a airplane, there aren't too many things to break when you start working on the fuselage.  The legs go into the aircraft last, but we have to treat a helicopter just like armor.  You have to add everything to the helicopter before you start painting.

So......

I decided to add the legs to the helicopter.  In the picture, you will see a lot of tape while holding the legs on the helicopter becauseI don't have clamps bis enough.  I ony have mini-clamps so please forgive the messiness. 

20150505_201223_zpsgdvxwu6s.jpg

20150505_201159_zpsrazoalds.jpg

Now the box around the legs is to protect the eletrical static discharges (i think that is what it is called, please correct me if I am wrong and I probably am).  One of my pre cautions.

So the next thing while I was waiting on the legs to cure, I started to add the hated PE parts to the heicopter.  But nothing that will stick out and do damage to the part while I am handling the helicopter.

20150505_205618_zpsg5pyepir.jpg

20150505_205559_zpsbqykfbmd.jpg

20150505_205503_zps4zzs2uec.jpg

20150504_190236_zps2xdg9bhj.jpg

20150504_190214_zpsampyvjiy.jpg

And a little detail that I added to the disco ball housing.

20150503_163733_zpsyls5s5gd.jpg

There is still a lot if PE parts that I have to attach to the helicopter, but that is what I have done so far.  Now the tail and the DREADED windows is next to add.

-Richard

Looking very good Richard! One small tip for you though: don't use permanent marker to mark the outside or visible surfaces of the kit parts, as the ink will bleed through just about every type of paint and primer known to modeldom. Many of use have learned that lesson the hard way!

Kev

I will follow your advice because I primed a part with sharpie on it and it won't cover the sharpie completely.  

I learned the hard way just like you guys did.  LOL

Thanks for the heads up Kev.

Richard

Some construction help please.

I am gluing my ESSS wings to the helicopter, and I noticed a couple of things.  In the instructions, the ESSS wings are not flushed with the rotor cowling cover on the top of the helicopter:

20150507_1232421_zpsesiesb5x.jpg

So I taped mine the same way:

20150507_1207241_zpsjlknj8ju.jpg

When I placed the esss wings this way, the angle of the pylon that holds the m230 chain gun, rocket pods, etc, looks like it is in the corrent angle:

20150507_1207151_zpsblgdozhq.jpg

But when I look at the ESSS wings attaching to the fuselage, I see a big gap:

20150507_1208001_zpswnxtzlrh.jpg

The question that I have, is the gap suppose to be there and if it is, is the gap suppose to be so big. Or is the ESSS wings attached incorrectly?

-Richard

I think I may have solved my own problem, and I hope that I am wrong because it is so stupid.    :BANGHEAD2:

There are a lot of parts in this helicopter that if you don't use the ESSS wings, there is something there to replace that part.

When I have the ESSS wings attached, is this suppose to be glued (the picture) or do we leave it out because we plan on attaching the ESSS wings?

20150507_1250361_zps6k2iidef.jpg

Could I be that stupid??!!  If anyone can answer my question, it would be greatly appreciated.  And if I made that mistake, keep in between us alright!    LOL

-Richard

Edited by Elboogie

The instructions indicate a gap.  If there were no gap the illustration would show a bold line along the window frame.

As far as the real deal goes, I don't know as I have not studied this air-frame.

Sincerely,

Mark

The instructions indicate a gap.  If there were no gap the illustration would show a bold line along the window frame.

As far as the real deal goes, I don't know as I have not studied this air-frame.

Sincerely,

Mark

I see what you are talking about Mark.

Thanks for the heads up.

Richard

While waiting to get more input about the question that I asked about the ESSS wings, I decided to start my windows.

My windshield or canopy fit pretty well.  The only problem that I can see is the meeting of the fuselage to the canopy near the chin windows.

I am hoping that when I glue my chin windows to the helicopter, it will resolve the problem or make it minimal. 

Here are the chin windows all glued up to the helicopter:

In the chin window pictures, you can still see the gators grip glue still curing and becoming clear.

20150507_192453_zpsnnxk0wk9.jpg

20150507_192523_zpsmtddpg1q.jpg

20150507_192435_zpsd4iyvzwp.jpg

When everything is cured, I will sand the chin windows flush to the fuselage.

Richard

Mind the gap above the starboard window window.  Tape over the window rivets so you don't lose the detail while sanding.

Good show, Richard.

Sincerely,

Mark

Thanks for the heads up Mark.

I will try to do what you said but I am terrible when it comes to clear parts.  But I will try and hope that it comes up correctly.

Richard

If you can remove those step fairings those are the old styl and arent used hardly anymore especially with the DAP's.  If you cant sand the ridge down and that should help.  The things on the gear legs are wire cutters whcih is part of the wire strike kit on the hawk. 

Are these the step fairings that you are mentioning:

20150507_1250361_zps6k2iidef.jpg

Richard

If you can remove those step fairings those are the old styl and arent used hardly anymore especially with the DAP's.  If you cant sand the ridge down and that should help.  The things on the gear legs are wire cutters whcih is part of the wire strike kit on the hawk. 

Oh, and thanks for letting me know what that part is called.  I felt stupid saying the wrong name for that part.   :BANGHEAD2:

LOL

Thanks Erick

-Richard