Academy UH-60L DAP Black Hawk

Elboogie

The black Hawk has never been designated as a AH (Attack Helicopter) so on the box that academy sells, it should not say AH-60L it should say UH or MH.  I got the knowledge when I first put the kit together.  The people in the forum was kind enough to let me know that.  Just like I said, I do not know ANYTHING about helicopters.     lol  

-Richard

Thank you for the information.  I will try to scribe those lines on the helicopter just like you said.  I really need a schematic of a black hawk so I can see all the panel lines so I can make it as accurate as possible.  But thank you for the heads up, I really appreciate it. 

Richard

I always had a problem with cutting a kit to replace the part that I just took out with another part.

In this case, the FLIR housing for the Black Hawk.  Now in the directions, they told me (and everybody else) to cut the helicopter on the lines inscribed into the fuselage.  I followed the lines in the fuselage to make the cut.

Now the bottom of the FLIR housing looks ok, nothing that a little filler wouldn't solve:

20150423_171358_zpshvo99mct.jpg

But the front.   WHAT the hell?      :BANGHEAD2: 

20150423_171324_zps2bfth9i0.jpg

I guess you shouldn't drink beer before making a cut into your model.    

I tried to solve the problem, but shark64 (aka Oliver) gave me a goodd suggestion.  He told me to cut a couple pieces of styrene strips, and fill the hole,  and follow it up with CA glue and file the part to shape.  

That is the reason why I love posting my work in forums because of the people that are watching your build, and whenever you run into a problem, they always give good suggestions on how they would handle the problem.  Thank you guys for all your suggestions, believe me, I will need a lot more before I get done with this DAP.

So filling that hole is my next project.

-Richard

Problem #2....They seem to be adding up.    :shrug: 

Gunners Windows and cabin entrance.

Now in my build, I had to glue the gunners walls after I glued the cabin to the fuselage.  They were suspended in the cabin getting ready to be glued .  If I glued the gunners walls to the cabin, when I put the cabin into the fuselage, the gunners walls would not have fit correctly.

Now when I did that, I knew that I would have to fix the walls and the cabin entrance wall.  Now I did not use the PE parts for the inside wall to the cabin.  To be real about it, I glued the cabin and I forgot about the PE part.    :whistle: 

SO....I attacked the problem with Squadron White Putty, hoping that the gaps in the windows would be shut and the hole on the cabin wall would also be shut and filled after sanding.

I have painted the walls in excess of 5 times, because no matter what I use for a filler, (white putty, Mr. dissoved putty etc) it would not shut the gaps on the gunners windows.

Because I had problems with the walls and entrance, I knew that I had to come up with a solution, but I may as well try the windows weathering to find out what I am going to use for a wash on the windows and entrance wall.  So that is the reason why you see brown in the pictures.

Right side of the helicopter.

20150429_172445_zpsevsfa4t0.jpg

20150429_172454_zpsgwmnn2qe.jpg

20150429_172520_zpsy7nthv1r.jpg

Left side:

20150429_172616_zpsm7oinuuq.jpg

20150429_172554_zpsbjqtuami.jpg

I am learning more and more about this kit so when I am ready to do my MH-60s build, I will know what the down falls are and how to address them.

To solve the problem.

I am measuring the windows and the entrance of the cabin, and then I am going to cut out some pieces of 005 sheets of styrene to their shapes and then put them over the windows and cabin entrance.  Then it will looked like a solid piece instead of the mess that I created.

On the cabin entrance I will put the details on the styrene to copy the PE part that I didn't put in.

Back to work.

Richard 

Rich.

the way to do this is to install the walls first  to the fuselage(not glued) then dryfit the fuselage halves together. Once everything fits together(and it will) just apply little glue to the sides of the walls(by the fuselage opening) and let dry everything overnight (make sure the glue doesn't run and glue your floor my mistake). Once dry(next day or so) remove the two halves and start working on filling out the holes with either styrene strips and CA on the side walls. Working on the walls the way the kit instructions show  is impossible or nearly impossible. I will post photos how to do it .

Good luck.

The black Hawk has never been designated as a AH (Attack Helicopter) so on the box that academy sells, it should not say AH-60L it should say UH or MH.  I got the knowledge when I first put the kit together.  The people in the forum was kind enough to let me know that.  Just like I said, I do not know ANYTHING about helicopters.     lol  

-Richard

Thanks for the clarification. I'll admit to not knowing much about Blackhawks, so that helps. I just went off what Academy put on their box-art.  That's what is so great about these forums, full of knowledgable people ready to help out.

Matt  :frantic:

Rich.

the way to do this is to install the walls first  to the fuselage(not glued) then dryfit the fuselage halves together. Once everything fits together(and it will) just apply little glue to the sides of the walls(by the fuselage opening) and let dry everything overnight (make sure the glue doesn't run and glue your floor my mistake). Once dry(next day or so) remove the two halves and start working on filling out the holes with either styrene strips and CA on the side walls. Working on the walls the way the kit instructions show  is impossible or nearly impossible. I will post photos how to do it .

Good luck.

Thanks Oliver,

Now I can see what you did with the walls.  Excellent.  I never thought of the process.

Now that I have made a mess, I will do what I need to do on this kit, but I will take the knowledge that you just laid on me on my MH-60s build.

Thanks for the pictures, they explain a lot.

-Richard

rich,

Eduard just came out with a great photo etched sets for the S model.. I wish it came out before i started mine.

must have when u start yours...gonna get the exterior set and front seatbelts,

oliver

rich,

Eduard just came out with a great photo etched sets for the S model.. I wish it came out before i started mine.

must have when u start yours...gonna get the exterior set and front seatbelts,

oliver

Oh that's just great!!  After the fact that I bought another BIG ED set for the UH-60L for the MH-60s build.    :doh:

Of course I will get the new PE set for my MH-60 build (did I mention that I hate PE parts...), but damn, new products come out so fast.  Thanks for the heads up Oliver.  

I wish it was available when you started you build.  But looking at your bird, it won't matter which PE set you use, the helicopter will still look amazing.

-RIchard

Edited by Elboogie