Tamiya F-16CJ:UPDATE:8/29/15: DONE AND IN THE BOOKS

Guest Peterpools

Guest Peterpools

Markus

Much appreciated and I've followed the same route. Both are awesome kits and a pleasure to build

Peter

Guest Peterpools

UPDATE: 5/13/15: Wheel Wells ,THE GEAR & EXHAUST

Slow but steady progress just the same and I was amazed at how much time went into entire gear/wheel assemblies. While not as detailed as the Aires resin offering, it still looks quite busy and Tamiya should be congratulated for maintaining the look and feel of the real deal. I built up the gear bays in sections and spent as much time painting and weathering as building. Each part was washed and then primed with MIG Polymer Gray Primer. All the oleo's went through the normal Alclad process: Primer, Gloss Black and Alclad Chrome, drying for 24 hours and then mask with de-tacked Tamiya tape. Tamiya White came next, sealed with Future and all the pin washes were accomplished with MIG Dark Gray Panel Line Wash and /or MIG Light Gray Filter Wash, picking out and highlighting the details. Last step before assembly … seal with a few light coats of Future.

The intake assembly required a bit of Bondo, with the front lip being left off until after all the painting is done. I doubled checked the fit and it is perfect, so there shouldn't be any problems down the road – like that will really happen!

Since I didn't plan to have the GE engine removable and I'm using the brilliant Aires Exhaust set, I completely skipped the engine assembly all together. The Aires Exhaust parts were removed from their casting blocks, washed, primed and then the first steps in the exhaust painting process was under way. The interior of the exhaust assembly was treated with Vallejo White Gray and looks perfect for the base ceramic color. The exhaust itself was primed with Tamiya Gloss Black and treated with both Alclad Steel and Pale Burnt Metal highly thinned out. The GE exhaust fan section and the corresponding PE part, received a boatload of different Alclads as well as Tamiya Clear Yellow, Green, Orange and Blue for effect. Still quite a bit more to go on the exhausts but at this stage, they do look mighty good and well worth the investment.

Both the main and nose gear assemblies were completed and for OOB, they look really good.

Next up:

Finish the front office and button up the fuselage. I decided to save the Aires Aces II seat I was using and have a new Quickboost seat on the way, with a set of Wheeliant Wheels and Master Details S/S Angle of Attack probes. I know I said I would hold off on the AM add-ons but I felt a few goodies would just add the missing touches.

Thanks for checking in

Peter

untitled-2_zpsez4qdarg.jpg

untitled-9_zpsezorybxz.jpg

untitled-10_zpstsxx6vvk.jpg

untitled-5_zpsnfxzszys.jpg

untitled-7_zpsecmfp6zd.jpg

untitled-11_zpsaqodlxwf.jpg

untitled-13_zpswcoemfsn.jpg

untitled-12_zpsbadtgicb.jpg

Edited by Peterpools

Terrific work Peter! Those gear bays look fantastic.

Kev

Looking real good Peter, keep up the great work

Jeff

STUNNING ! !..........Harv  :popcorn:

What they said!!!!

Man, the bays really do look terrific. The white/gray with the wash really makes things pop!

Your work never ceases to amaze, Peter. 

The gear bays and exhaust are stunning.  The care and craftsmanship that you have showed here have really paid off on the model.

Can't wait for the next part.

John

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Kev

Very much appreciated. They sure took a good amount of time but I'm pretty happy with how they came out. Just a few bits and pieces to go and then a decal or to and it's time to move on.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Brian for the very kind words. I've been painting with my new double secret weapons and the results are just as I remembered.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Hi John

Very much appreciated the kind words ... just enjoying the wonders of a Tamiya kit

Peter

Guest Peterpools

HI  Justin

Much appreciated and I can fully understand the Viper being your number one - just a fantastic kit. Since my update, I've added all the last minute parts to the gear bays and am getting ready to decal the main gear legs and they are done. My Quickboost ACES II seat arrived and now it's full steam on the front office portion of the build.

Peter