Tamiya F-16CJ:UPDATE:8/29/15: DONE AND IN THE BOOKS

Guest Peterpools

Guest Peterpools

Hi Rainer

Thank you for the compliments on the Viper. The Remove Before Flight Streamers come with the kit and there are a ton of them. I just lightly weathered it, folded it a bit and that's all she wrote.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Logical

Thank you for the very kind words. Don't be intimidated at all. The Academy Sufa id an awesome kit. Just take your time, enjoy the build. Looking forward to both your upcoming Sufa and Hornet builds.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Don

Yup, I'm finally in the home stretch and looking at maybe on or two more updates before the Viper is done

Peter

Guest Peterpools

UPDATE: 8/20/15: TURNING TOWARDS HOME

Made some mighty nice progress this past week, as the Viper has finally made the turn for home and the finish line is in sight. The Tamiya decals (being a bit thick and flashy) received one last application of Future and then a healthy dose of Flory Dark Dirt Wash. Once dry, I removed, most of the Flory wash, leaving just enough on the Viper's skin to emulate a bit of wear and flight time, yet a well maintained aircraft. Once satisfied, the Viper received it's satin top coat with Tamiya X-35 Semi Gloss Clear (Thanks Eric, works like a charm), locking in the paint over aluminum feel.
Much time was spent cleaning up all the small areas and parts that were left for the last stages of the build, plus all the small air brush work that was held over for the end stages of the the build as well. The last of the Alclad work was completed in front of the Aires exhaust, with the application of a dark metal band. The sacrificial 'build canopy' turned out to be a bit of a bear and when removed, necessitated that the cockpit sill be lightly sanded and then airbrushed with Tamiya Nato Black. The IP and seat are still resting in place,being test fitted one last time. The tail feathers are in place, left movable for the time being; just in case of who knows what. The IP coaming for whatever reason looked a bit harsh in the last update 'grab photos', so I toned it down just a bit and it seems tolook about right now. The stainless steel AOA's and pitot tube needs to be added but I'm holding off until the very end, as they are sharp as a tack and no sense bleeding all over the Viper at this stage.
Since deciding the center line station would carry the AN/ALQ-184 ECM pod, time was devoted to assembly, priming and painting; as it is now completed. The kit's wheels and and tires were left in the box and in it's place the excellent Wheelliant F-16CJ set. All went well until I went to mount the nose wheel  to the strut… no way; it just wouldn't fit. Nothing else to do but bash the two nose wheels and hubs together and come up with one that works. Of course, I messed up the assembly and the mounting screw is now too short, so over the weekend, I'll need to hit Radio Shack and pick up a few longer screws to do the job. Right now the wheel and tire are being held in place with CCA (iffy at best). The I'll add the nose gear doors and the few additional parts for that assembly as well. With the finish line in sight, I'll be pushing hard this weekend to finish up the Viper and keeping my fingers crossed, there are no more hidden landmines to negotiate.
Next UP: Finishing the Viper.
Thanks for checking in
Peter

untitled-2_zpsnt8kw2am.jpg

untitled-4_zpshvxaxlbj.jpg

untitled-5_zpsuzgxvfu9.jpg

untitled-6_zpsw6xnnahf.jpg

The Viper finally has her Nikes on!

untitled-7_zpsc0scopgm.jpg

untitled-8_zpsqh2fyrle.jpg

Edited by Peterpools