Tamiya F-16CJ:UPDATE:8/29/15: DONE AND IN THE BOOKS

Guest Peterpools

Guest Peterpools

The Viper : UPDATE: 4/26/15 .... Getting Started

While slowly working on the Meteor's wings and I mean slowly and then moving onto fitting the wings to the fuselage, I gave into the erg of just tinkering with my Tamiya F-16CJ Viper, my supposedly next project. The tinkering increased as the more I worked on the Meteor's wing fairings.

WARNING: THE TAMIYA VIPER IS CONTAGEOUS and once the box was opened, putting it down was next to impossible!

My original intention was to go all out on the Viper with a ton of After Market resin and PE sets but my enthusiasm for such projects as been steadily dwindling. What I needed was the old juices back and no better way for me then a pure fun OOB build, enjoyment and bringing home the build for what I actually paid for the kit or close to it. So the Viper would be right out of the box, see what I could do and go with what Tamiya created.

I knew I would cave into a few goodies along the way: Aires Aces II Ejection seat, exhaust set and wheel set are the only planned additions to a fantastic kit. All the other Aires sets and PE sets are back in their boxes and will wait for another build – yup, I have a few more Vipers in the stash, so they will be used.

I decided to start with step 13, the main gear well and engine bay, rather then building the GE F110 right now. I do have Jim Melampy's Modern Viper Guide and thanks to Jeff (Stinger), The Scale Viper, A Modeler's Guide to Building the F-16 by Pete Fleischmann is on the way. For my OOB build, I am mainly using the references as a back up to Tamiya's instructions for a painting guide and a few enhancing ideas.

So far, I found out it is ABSOLUTELY IMPOSSIBLE TO PUT THE VIPER DOWN. Instead of the Meteor being my main build and working on the Viper only while while Meteor parts and assemblies are setting up, the reverse seems to be taking place!

Much of the work done on the interior of the engine bay, will never be seen but was a blast to do and weather. Did I say weather? True, just the same. I decided to go with a well maintained Viper but with some weathering from in flight use. The interior of the engine bay was primed with MIG's Polymer Surface Primer thinned 50/50 with Tamiya X-20A and shot at 16 psi working pressure. Smooth as silk and an excellent primer. The instructions do say to let it dry for a full day before sanding and a few hours at least before painting on top. Since I didn't need to do any sanding or filling, I waited about 15 minutes and went right onto applying Tamiya Acrylics with perfect results.

Future provided the gloss coat and then the rivets, panel lines and other details were picked out with MIG's new Panel Line Wash – awesome product. I did find using either MIG'S “Enamel Odourless Thinner†# 2018 or Mona Lisa Paint Thinner produced the same excellent results in the clean up process. Once dry, I waited another 15 minutes, I sealed everything with Vallejo Matt Varnish thinned 70/30 varnish to X-20A.

The ducting in the engine bay was weathered a bit more and dry brushed to highlight the details and tone down the flat black color.

I also started working on the front office as well, priming with MIG Polymer Acrylic Primer and then following up with FS3623 gray, as Tamiya's instructions are incorrect. I replaced the kit Aces II seat with the Aires Aces II, whose detail is quite a bit better and is always one of the first points of interest a viewer looks at.

I've pretty much gone 100% acrylics these days except for Alclad work and apart from a much easier clean up, haven't seen any differences in smoothness and look when comparing acrylics to enamels.

A llot of work did go into making the intake ducting seamless and was glossed white with latex paint.

Tamiya's fit is near perfect and well up to their reputation for top notch quality.

So far the juices are flowing again at a fever pace, with life and work getting in the way! The fun factor is back and so far off the scale; it's scary.

Next up, the main wheel well; no where as detailed as the Aires Resin set but when done will look fine and the fit is perfect – not slicing or dicing, no mess or fuss.

Next work session, some time first needs to be devoted to the Meteor's wing roots and then back to the Viper.

Thanks for checking in.

Peter

_57_zpsne8klt74.jpg

Heading back into the stash

untitled-20_zpsfylsjylh.jpg

untitled-18_zpsmqqqgyl3.jpg

The Tamiya front office with the Aires ACES II Ejection Seat

untitled-15_zpsczhczaqj.jpg

Seamless front intake . please excuse the dust specks .. I should have cleaned them up before taking the photos but at least the seams are history

untitled-13_zpsxgd4qrr7.jpg

untitled-12_zpsjwhf0apn.jpg

untitled-5_zpsmalqsrxj.jpg

untitled-10_zps4z9hvdrj.jpg

Edited by Peterpools

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Harv .. Really enjoying myself and typical Tamiya quality. BTW, it cleaned out the dust from the intakes so I wouldn't forget down the road.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Mark

I just couldn't help myself and I'm rolling. Just crack open the box and I'm willing to bet, you won;t be thinking but building

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Frank

It's easy to see why you build more then one and have 12 in the stash ..of course, that makes my F-16 stash look pale by comparison.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Loic

I'm rolling but need to figure out how to split my time between the Meteor and the Viper.

Peter

Very nice start on your viper Peter, I agree with you that this build is very contagious. What fighter unit are you going to be building ? I'm looking forward to seeing what you can do with a big tamiya viper, this is going to be fun to watch

Jeff

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Jeff

Sticking with my basic OOB plan, I was planning on going with79th Fighter Squadron, 20th Fighter Wing, Tiger Meet Version, Buckley AFB, Colorado August 2001. BUt knowing me, things could change

Peter

Wow, go Peter!  I have to say, I have often thought about getting this kit, for no reason other than it is a cool looking plane!  Love what you have already done.  I am worried that watching this will tip me over the edge and get one.

That cockpit is nice, did the Aires set come with etch panels or is that painted?

Cheers

Anthony