1/32 SR-71 by Combat models (RCM)

Lee White

Well, it finally arrived!! And, it's huge!!! I'll try and post some pics later tonight, but, for now, a quick run-down-

1) It is a bit disappointing. The molds (male), have no detail on the outside. Normally, that's not a problem, but it also means that the characteristic corrugations on the wings are missing- and won't be easy to make.

2) The wing leading and trailing edges are too rounded. If you were to cut the wings at the junction of the part and the flat plastic, and leave it at that, you would have a leading edge reminiscent of the Martin B-10.

Yeah.

Cutting the part about 3mm above that point, and careful sanding will sharpen the edge, but without surgery bordering on scratch building, you won't get that sharp edge that you want. This also applies to the chine, too. Hopefully the coming pics will show this more clearly.

3) The canopy is very soft in its shape, simple as that. To be fair, flat plastic sheet is also supplied, so making your own  windscreen from that would be quite easy.

Rolled plans are included, but, decals are on you. An OK 3-footer can be made from this kit, but if you have any aspirations of Gold medals with this kit, Fuggetaboutit.

I had hoped for a little more, with female molding, corrugations, and sharp edges, but I'll have to try and make that happen myself.

Lee the Masochist :BANGHEAD2:

I'm amazed that someone would go to the trouble of making masters for such a kit, and not bother to even attempt something as vital as the corrugations.  What's the point?  You'll end up scratch building 98% of the model anyway.

well that's the way to build vacforms, correct, adjust, add, improve, enhance, ....well i could go on forever, it's just one way to enjoy building something that you're interested in and is NOT IM.......didn't you know that? ....oh wait, you never tried in the first place......or have you??

Guest Peterpools

Lee

Absolutely is going to be a great build to follow and enjoy. Just might be Man vs Model vs Machine

Keep 'em coming

Peter

I've built quite a few vac forms and there is a world of difference between the best and the worst. The best have surface detail rivaling injection molded kits, and made very fine models. Think of MPM, Karo-As and other Czech resin kits turned into vac forms, from the 1980's, just before Eduard took off.

The worst? Fuselage halves didn't match in length, deeper trenches than a Matchbox kit's panel lines, rough edges showing where they crudely chopped up donor kit parts or simply draped something over a somewhat close shape and let the folds of plastic lie where they may.

Too many of Combat's kits lie close to the latter description, as this review presents. Many are buildable, but all take a lot of work.

Tnarg

Combat ? I never realised it was a description of the build process itself !

No corrugations, no sale here. Doubtless Lee will figure out a way, and I believe these are square or rectangular in cross-section, so insetting some 'trays' and lining them with rows of plastic 2x2mm strip or similar might do the trick (¿)

EDITED: realise I'm wrong and they are rounded-end rows of half dowel in shape. Best method would be to draw the lines on the inner surfaces and then run a biro down them over a rubber mat.

For me, the only vac forms I'll touch are of smooth skinned beasts pulled from fairly thick styrene.

Best of luck, Lee. At least the finish can be blackboard paint with stencilled markings

Tony

Edited by Tony T

Max, Im not sure how yours will look, but unfortunately, with the level of building I see from you, Im not all that certain you will be happy with what you get. :(

Lee, I feel your pain. I have had a love for the F7F (my favorite air-frame) since my brother built me the 72nd scale kit when I was a kid. I was fascinated.............

When I got into LSPs hardcore, I discovered combat models had a 32nd F7F. Happy days!

I immediately ordered one..............quite pricy but I thought what the heck. When I got it, your number #1 was my #1; quite disappointing to say the least. I realize vac forms take work, improvement and skills, but the T-cat had such specific things about its look that I was taken aback on how little of it match the kit.

My F7F canopy was also VERY soft in detail and all the rest along with it. Likely the ROUGHEST vac pull I have ever seen. It literally looks like someone threw sand on the masters of my F7F before pulling the vac.

Every time I get some ambition, I pull it out *GIGGITY* and I see the condition the kit is in, and I wrap it all back up and put it away. Sigh. Im GOING to make a racer out of it, and even have all the extra parts I need, but the pull and details are so bad, I just havnt brought myself to do it.................even with the new What-if? GB going on.

Edited by Out2gtcha

Max, I don't think you have to worry, as your Cornell is a known quantity, as we've seen with Jerry's build. What's more, Combat has been thru various iterations, the earlier ones being the best. Their F-106 is actually very nice, having been made by the first owner, Jack Sell. The John Rucks era was when things got iffy.

Thanks for the support, guys-  I'm still debating on how to proceed, should I spend a huge amount of time fixing it, when less time would be needed to scratch the whole thing, or should I just run with what I have, and end up with an obviously "bulb" shaped model? Outlines look good, it's the cross sections that are gonna generate the most "Wtf?"s. I might just go with the latter, and see how much I can fix without marrying this thing.

Whilst I admit a that it would a big chunk of hardware for a 1/32 SR-71, it is a pity ( and probably a reason for vac-forms' poor reputation) that not more manufacturers go for female molds. It makes a heap of difference quality-wise. The Rareplanes of old, and the Welsh models civvies (of which many mastered by our own Derek) are testimonies of this difference.

Hubert