1/24 Airfix Spitfire

Sparzanza

Sparz

Looking Great, keep it up, really liked how you did the seat cushion with the dry brushing, never thought to try that, but I will.  :thumbsup:

Teresa  :)

Hey Teresa, thanks for your comment. :) Drybrushing can make a lot of difference in an otherwise dull area, I'm fairly new to the technique myself, so I'm still learning how to do it properly. I just wish I had done it on my other 1/24 birds as well. I love the results it gives me.

Thank you for checking in.

• 1 month later...

Woooo, Steve's (fightersweep) wingspar arrived today! Along with 1/24 P51-D cockpit decals... he's a very generous man! I will use them in the next 1/24 Mustang, which will be built after the Spitfire and current Mustang, as I sadly closed up the fuselage today. Thanks again Steve!

It involves some cutting, but that is nothing my heated Xacto-blade couldn't handle!

ONWARDS!

DSC00057_zpscov5xmxg.jpg

DSC00058_zpse2mqcpaw.jpg

Hey Sparzanza!  Nice work!

Tell me something: how did you bend the stretched sprue for the seatbelt harness buckles?

Did you bend them/wrap them around forms while the sprue was still hot and being stretched?  They look bent and cooled into position, not cut and glued into position.

Anyway, great work and keep it up!  I'll follow this sucker closely!

:frantic:

Thanks ringleheim for stopping by. :) I use lead wire nowadays for the buckles, but the ones I have made of stretched sprue I actually bent when they were cooled with some tweezers, and if it started breaking I'd just hide it behind the harness itself. I find bending it around stuff while it's still hot makes it impossible to get off again... same goes for this super stiff lead wire I've got. I really need to get my hands on something softer...

• 2 years later...

Brand new bottom wings from Airfix themselves - and I can resume my build!

zz8TLmt.jpg

I figured it'd be a lot easier to paint the inside of this intake before gluing its lid on. Humbrol 33 matt black, Humbrol 11 matt aluminium.

TTxwMCB.jpg

Cockpit floor, Humbrol 78. I didn't bother with the machineguns much, I didn't even drybrush some gun metal on them. They won't be seen because I glued all the hatches in place. Less parts to keep track of.

pG4DiRQ.jpg

Gluing top half of the wings in place. An easy job on this old kit.

ECh1HPm.jpg

nfftApd.jpg

And this is what she looks like underneath. I will take care of the small gaps on the leading edges of the wings before I glue this whole assembly onto the fuselage.

Ml10Y07.jpg

The filling and sanding adventures has gone well. I've managed to keep most of the surface detail since I rubbed most of the tamiya putty off with a q-tip moistened with acetone. The places I did sand didn't have any noticable surface detail, so I'm happy with my current progress. The large gap by the right wingroot meant that I had to scribe panel lines into the filler. Hopefully it will look okay under some paint.

alqHiDE.jpg

I had my concerns regarding the gap above this intake; very awkward spot to put filler in!

yrz10vW.jpg

I managed, however - by thinning the tamiya putty with acetone and applied it with a fine brush. I removed any sloppywork with a brush dipped in acetone.

qJIOag6.jpg

I then decided to glue the tailplanes in place. They immediately pointed skyward; the fuselage is warped in all kinds of places.

6V1J8YL.jpg

Bask in the turbulence of my magnificence! I simply put a couple of Humbrol paint tins on them, so they can't go anywhere. Look how straight this is!

mW0Ma5a.jpg

And, finally - some parts that I omitted. I couldn't figure out exactly how to position the rectangular pieces, and they only seemed to angle the landing gear awkwardly anyway. The Spitfire landing gear, to my knowledge, are supposed to be pointing straight down and slightly forwards... while I couldn't achieve this on the kit, I did what I could with what I had. The other blocky things I couldn't find out how to position properly, either - the instructions were vague. They were not going to be seen anyways, so yeah.

CCATNq0.jpg

Filling the gaps between the tailplanes and the fuselage. Again, not wanting to lose any surface detail - I masked off everything except the gaps. I then applied tamiya's white putty with a cottonbud and smeared it in place, cleaned up excess with the clean end. Did further cleanup with a cottonbud wet with acetone.

oc1XFLW.jpg

WzlLwV7.jpg

XkmklQx.jpg

And this was the result. There was still some teenytiny gaps, but they've been mended at this point. Happy with the result. Onwards.

o9dgMIF.jpg

4HnfxUd.jpg

Guest Peterpools

Sparz

Great to see the Spit back on the bench and underway again. No doubt about it: the larger the scale, the wider the gaps and filler by the tube.

Going mighty good

Keep 'em comin

Peter

• 6 months later...

Pretty happy with my filler work now. Happy enough to glue the windscreen and rear window in place at least. The windscreen gave me more gaps to fill.

Pemc6UI.jpg

jO64OQk.jpg

I filled the gaps with Mikro Kristal Klear for the time being. I will fill more thoroughly with Tamiya White Putty after masking off the windows and shooting some Humbrol 78 cockpit green on top.

Hopefully there'll be more updates soon.

cawbwEI.jpg