1/24 Airfix Spitfire

Sparzanza

Spots sanded smooth, repainted, and glosscoated. Applied decals given to me by my brother; from the new release of the Spit - meaning Cartograph decals. These did not fail me. Glosscoated again. Applied a wash. Satin coated. When that's dry I will satin coat the bottom. When that is dry I will do the final weathering and call it done.

C7WBJcF.jpg

Vl4KgYM.jpg

I painted the exhausts black, as a primer... then I painted them Humbrol 98 chocolate brown. Then I drybrushed Humbrol 55 bronze upon that... and finally drybrushed Humbrol 98 again on top of THAT. Trying to achieve a burnt iron look is very tricky, but I think I did alright. Will try to snap some good pictures in the sunlight later on.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, Mark. :)

Here're the exhausts:

dUGQU58.jpg

And dryfitted:

SX6Ue1l.jpg

I still haven't varnished her underneath, but I'll get around to that when I can drag myself out of this seemingly endless hole of depression I've fallen into.

EDIT: Ok, now the post ignores the IMG (I can't type [ i m g ] together as an example because the forum is stupid) put before the link, and thus you end up with forked up links. Enjoy.

Screw you, forum.

Hi Sparz,

The new version of the forum software no longer requires the bbCode to insert images; just pasting the raw link in should be enough to display the image. I've tried to edit your links on my iPad, but it doesn't seem to work there. I'll have to wait until I'm back at my computer to fix them up for you.

Kev

• 1 year later...

I'm getting a new airbrush in a couple of days, and there's a high chance that I can finally finish this kit. All it needs is satin varnish on the bottom and some light weathering; maybe exhaust and gun soot and stuff like that.

I am still on the hunt for a B decal for my Mustang as well, but once I get a hold of that - satin varnish, final weathering, and she too will stand completed. They both survived me moving apartments without any damage and are currently just hanging out in a cupboard so as to not attract dust.

It will be good to see both projects move ahead again, they are so close to the finish line. The Spitfire is looking excellent!

I was sorry to read about the decal problems with your Mustang. I hope you can find someone with the proper "B" so you can finish that too.

Welcome back!

Richard

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/10/2020 at 3:55 PM, R Palimaka said:

It will be good to see both projects move ahead again, they are so close to the finish line. The Spitfire is looking excellent!

I was sorry to read about the decal problems with your Mustang. I hope you can find someone with the proper "B" so you can finish that too.

Welcome back!

Richard

Thanks Richard!

I haven't done a lot to the kit yet; I am a bit short on thinner and stuff so I will have to wait until I can buy some more - but I have done a few oil streaks on the bottom, and I also decided to rub off most of the chipping on the port side wing by the cockpit as it looked very painted on and not very chipped like. I will try using a sponge with some Humbrol 11 instead and see if it looks better.

Edited by Sparzanza

• 11 months later...

I sprayed some exhaust and gun soot today. Tamiya's flat black. I added some white into the cup and shot some light grey over the black soot for the exhausts. Not super visible. Probably overdone too but I don't give a rats butt. It is 99% complete.

bW8mwf3.jpg

Edited by Sparzanza