Trumpeter

Shoggz

I like a bit of everything...like Tapas.

Whilst I do very much enjoy Tamiya I'd be bored off my skull if every kit fit that well together. They're almost Lego-like they're so good.

I've learnt more and challenged myself further by building poorly fitting kits but I still enjoy a good fitting kit.

But...like Tapas...if you have too much of one thing its boring.

I'm really interested in the shape issues/corrections that come to light and I definitely enjoying watching someone wrestle with the issue and correct it.  I just don't let those issues become things I get frustrated about.

I'm glad Trumpeter has the subjects it does.  Not sure I've ever paid a RRP for one though.

Matty

It takes all kinds! I think "know thyself" applies very well here - I've come to terms with the fact that it's the painting and weathering that really get me going. The build itself is more a means to an end for me. So I have zero problem sticking to the kits that go together without fuss.

Another example: the Tamiya zero has a major landing gear leg retracting system inaccuracy caused by the toyish system used to close the landing gear. However, nobody ever released a correction set as this problem is simply ignored as well.

Agreed but I think CMK produces a correction/replacement set to correct those wheel wells if memory serves. 

Trumpeter have released some utterly outstanding armor kits over the last ten years

I thought we were discussing aircraft but since the armor card has been played, I do have one, rather large, Trumpeter armor kit, the 1/16 Tiger II and it is indeed a very nice kit.  The 1/16 Tiger II is by no means a perfect kit but it's a very nice kit and with some tweaking, it can be a great kit; there are no shape issues on that beast to correct. I'm searching for a 1/16 Pz. VI kit now and I'll probably buy one of those too, in spite of any issues (which I haven't heard of too many). 

Since their armor kits seem to be much better overall than their aircraft kits, I wonder why there's the huge disparity between the two? I know aircraft modeler's are not much different with respect to being, how'd Bill put it, "being old cranks" than our armor builders and many of us do both so why the research/design/engineering quality mismatch between aircraft kits and armor kits?

Edited by Juggernut

I thought we were discussing aircraft but since the armor card has been played, I do have one, rather large, Trumpeter armor kit, the 1/16 Tiger II and it is indeed a very nice kit.  The 1/16 Tiger II is by no means a perfect kit but it's a very nice kit and with some tweaking, it can be a great kit; there are no shape issues on that beast to correct. I'm searching for a 1/16 Pz. VI kit now and I'll probably buy one of those too, in spite of any issues (which I haven't heard of too many). 

Since their armor kits seem to be much better overall than their aircraft kits, I wonder why there's the huge disparity between the two? I know aircraft modeler's are not much different with respect to being, how'd Bill put it, "being old cranks" than our armor builders and many of us do both so why the research/design/engineering quality mismatch between aircraft kits and armor kits?

So I don't have one, but I've heard that their new 1/16 Panzer IV is amazing. 

Speaking for their 1/35 kits...I honestly don't know why the disparity exists. Some of their older kits can be rather crude, but the newer stuff is just exquisite. The T-80BV was one of the best armor kits I've ever seen, and built very well considering the approximately 8,583 reactive armor blocks. I just got their SCUD last week, and it's the same. Very crisp detail, very thoughtful design. About the only downside I've found is the vinyl tires. And even those are very good - I just hate the way vinyl refuses to hold paint.

Agreed but I think CMK produces a correction/replacement set to correct those wheel wells if memory serves. 

Unfortunately no! I know it as I put the CMK set in my Doyusha kit and intended to copy the Tamiya parts. This is how I discovered the problem. The large retracting part is missing in the Tamiya kit and the CMK set does not correct this.

Perhaps because an armored vehicle's shape is easier to capture in plans and photographs rather than the aerodynamic shapes of an aircraft? I don't know the reason but put that out there as a possible explanation. We know Trumpeter has a propensity to get canopy shapes wrong, which I suspect is a result of trying to match what they see in two dimensions with a three dimensional CAD drawing.

LMAO! Bill  :rofl:

I understand your disdain ... :D ... but the thread IS about Trumpeter!

Like it or not, opinions on the company are more extremely polarised than most manufacturers out there ...

Nowadays (read: the last 3-4 years!) I tend to take every kit, by every manufacturer, be it LSP, LSA, Figurines and even AM, on individual merit as far as accuracy, engineering and assembly are concerned - waiting for reviews to be done before purchasing.

So My opinion of Trumpeter tends to wildly fluctuate like an unstable woman's mood swings.

I think that having a 'fixed' opinion on any manufacturer ... be it WNW, Tamiya, Revell, HK, Dragon or even Trumpeter is silly - Trumpeter do, after all, make some very good gear ...

It's just that: When it is good, it is very, very good ... and when it is bad it is shocking!

Rog :)

Rog, I don't mind talking about Trumpeter's models, but all this whining about "they just don't care" and "they won't take my help" is so boring after 11 pages.

Let's talk about their models. I like their P-47 Razorback a lot, better than the Hasegawa Bubble Top.

Edited by Bill Cross

I like the Swordfish, the Avenger, the Skyraider, and the Bearcat. I have the GR7 Harrier and the Crusader (thanks Tony!) and I am going to like them too, once I have opened the boxes! Between them, they are going to give me hundreds of hours of modelling pleasure, and I can't ask for more than that.

Tim

PS I've actually got 2 Swordfish, and 2 Bearcats, originally just for the engines for a CL215 project, but I am actually having the most fun right now with the scrap Bearcat bits in the What If? group build!!

Edited by wunwinglow

What Rog said!

I still think it's amazing the double standards modellers apply when the T word is mentioned.

They are happy for Revell to continually put out kits with more issues than any Trumpeter kit for almost ten years because they are cheap.

Seriously if Revell put out a P-51B in 32nd with a 8 gun wing..a bubble top canopy and a T tail for 29.95 people would lap it up and ask for more.

Yet then turn around and question Trumpeters corporate model regarding accuracy?

Trumpeter have released some utterly outstanding armor kits over the last ten years met with glee from the armor community.

Not one or two either the entire KV family plus T-90..80 and now the 72..plus plenty of others like BTR's and Pions etc.

They have just released a 1/16th Mk IVH that's is simply amazing and that's on top of the highly praised T-34 family and Su-100.

Buy the kits on there merits and judge every one seperately as the track record in aircraft of either manufacturer is inconsistent at best.

Revell is very very happy to pump out inaccurate difficult to build kits and how many people do we see questioning there methods?

:deadhorse:

To add a bit of reality to an interesting discussion here are a few photo's of what some modellers have done with kits that have been slammed over the years.

Goes to show what can be achieved with some elbow grease and a little effort.

Sometimes we(me included) can lose sight of why we got into modelling in the first place.

01.jpg

09.jpg

01.jpg?g2_GALLERYSID=TMP_SESSION_ID_DI_N

Su27_064_final.jpg

BTG_7239_fs.jpg

bf109g5_yellow11_1.JPG

9.jpg

F-105-08.jpg

248765_149716405099899_100001846209847_3

Darren,

very nice collection! 

That's what I wrote above.... I'm very happy to have Trump. even with mistakes in their kits. Modelling is a science, with wonders coming out of it...

BTW the pics of the Thud #415 I made (flown by Col. John Piowaty to bomb down the big Bridge in Hanoi) John used them many times  during his lectures about the SEA war (to show how his Thud looked like)...and I'm very proud of it. 

M

Edited by Menelaos

Does anyone know the last time Trumpeter put out a new 1/32 mode of any kind?   I actually dont remember when the last time was............or when we will get the next one...........

Intruder? 

Devastator..?  :popcorn:

Edited by Kagemusha