Fleet Air Arm Bearcat

wunwinglow

A bit of internal bracing with plastic strip, then a blob of Isopon P38 filler. When it is hard, I can shape it with a few sanding sticks, files etc.  The fuselage halves are just tacked together, so once to fuselage shape is restored, I will saw through the filler plug to separate the fuselage halves again.  More soon!

17806_746470342138847_757522097482199612

Edited by wunwinglow

Neat!  Looking forward to more of this.................shapes taking place and what not.

Thanks! I am actually enjoying doing this 'free-form' model, as I am completely without any worries over 'accuracy'!! I could get to like this!!

Tim

Ive been betting there is a distinct feeling of freedom in that. Its tempted me for some time but the exact what if I had in mind (another Ironworks bird) is daunting to say the least and together with other commitments, makes it impossible right now.

Ill have to live through this build and the other What ifs?!

A bit more work this lunchtime, having trimmed the mating faces of the fuselage halves under the front wrap of tape, so the halves closed up together a bit more. This lowers the top line of the cowling and allows it to line up with the bottom of the windscreen, which is now further aft. Some plastic strips then glued under the skin back to the white plasticard bulkhead, and another splash of filler to fair it all in.

11129975_748977015221513_171709322711237

Yes, we use it all the time at work, it stinks, styrene i think, and you add a little smear of red catalyst paste. 10 minutes later it is hard enough to sand. It does need a good key though, it seems to stick like the proverbial to everything except model kit polystyrene!

That's because it's made to adhere over bare metal and various types of autobody primer, which it does with a vengeance. I've done a lot of autobody work, and it's fun stuff to work with, but you really should wear a mask when you sand it. It's actually polyester, and it's not good for you! You might consider trying to apply it over lightly sanded primer for better adhesion. I'm not guaranteeing it will be any better, but it's worth a try.

Thanks Tim, worry not, we have all the PSE in the workshop, and we use it! Having seen several pro modellers go down with some rather unpleasant reactions to chemicals in the past, we are all very careful with ventilation and filtration. The filler seems to work best if you use hardly any catalyst, apart fom giving you longer to work it, it doesn't shrink as much, doesn't get hot, and adheres much better. I can wait!

I'm keeping this as a lunch time project, so I get an hour or so to crack on a bit, and then 23 hours for glue etc. to dry thoroughly, and this seems to keep me on track!

More tomorrow hopefully,

Tim

Edited by wunwinglow