ScanmanDan

Me-163b as 1950's style Reno Racer

Oh Goodie!  I'm very jazzed by this group build topic.  I can't wait to see what wild and wonderful ideas come from our group of fiendish minds  :innocent:.

For myself I want to keep my build simple as I know I'm easily distrac….squirrel :D

What could be easier than a Hasegawa Komet in race markings?  

All up, the kits got like 10-15 pieces!?

The tricky bit is the re-scribing and masking / painting the markings.  But I'm going to cheat a bit and use some automotive markings to do the lettering and logos( I hope   :whistle: )   I have started on the wings ( the easy bits ) and I'm trying to fix the faults I made with my last go with this kit.  So far with some success. 

The plan such as it is for the bird to be painted in overall gloss white with a red nose and leading edges with red speed stripes radiating out across the wings and tail all with a thin black pin stripe.  Markings are to be Texaco, Man with a Star in red white and black. 

I'll shoot some pics soon as she starts to come together.  Till then I keep looking to see what you other madmen come up with..

Dan

Glad you all seem to approve of my little madness.  I'm still fiddling with opening up the slats and re-scribing the panel lines on the wings.  I've made a start on trying to make a nice design of stripes on the wings but I'm finding out that it's tougher than I thought.  This making it up skylark is tricky :D  Getting a pattern that is pleasing from different angles will be a challenge.  But it's fun too.

Martin you should totally go for the NASA bird!  Such a cool look!  Though I thought a NACA scheme of white wings and highly polished NMF fuselage would fit the early 50's vibe too ;) .  I can see why the powers that be left the crazy German juice bird alone, by the very early 50's they had better, and marginally safer birds to fly….Anyone for a Skyrocket?

Gee Bee indeed - Hardcore :D :D :D  Though just how I'll do all that black pin striping is anyones guess.

Yo Jack...

No need for extra stoff for me,

8 plus minutes of 0.8mach madness and back to the flight line for cold one.

I hate to think how much tear assin' at tree top level you could do with a Komet :D

While I think ariel drag racing would be cool, I do think that the Komet would be an extraordinary display aircraft.

Loud, dangerous and fast without being too fast, agile and a good flyer by some accounts.  Flight time would make a good 'spot' in an air shows program.  Of course the stupidly corrosive and highly flammable fuel is a bit of an occupational heath and safety problem I think crazier things were done all the time in the 50's.

Dan 

Messing about with the Komet this afternoon.  Still working on the wings, concentrating on getting a nice smooth finish and even, neat re-scribing.

I have started to fool around with the scheme some more, I have named her Kessler's Komet after my high school German teacher( A Marine Corsair pilot) He is one of the few teachers I remember from high school. He was the first teacher or adult really, that told me that. ' Dan you are good at many things but foreign languages aren't one of them…' That life lesson that you aren't great at everything and that it is okay for that to be so. In the end I squeaked by with a C minus minus minus ;) in German and kept my college credit.

Still going for red over white but I've been fooling about with some 40's fonts I downloaded fro from the net.  Surprising how just the style of entering can change the feel of a project.  I need to do some reference work on the correct period registration numbers as the will be prominate  both above and below the wing.  Also mucking about with the idea of fitting two small Walter RATO units below the wings to get a touch more razzle-dazzle.  From the look of em they wouldn't be too hard to scratch build.

Pics soon

Dan  

I can see this thing tear'in up some sky, but not sure I'd try to loop it.

Love the story behind the name, my English teachers said the same thing to me except English was not supposed to be a Foreign language here.

Looking forward to some pics 

jack

Progress?

Very little and slow at that, too much 1:1 scale stuff going on but then that's life ;)

Wings are pretty much finished, opened up the slats, fixed the seam on the underside, sanded off most of the fabric texture and re-scribed the lot.

Fuselage is getting there; re-scribing has started, opened up the turtleneck and separated the rudder.  Need to get cracking on the other side and get stuck into those hold down latches on the spine.

Overall%2005.jpg

Baby steps but more as I get time.

Thanks for looking in.

Dan

Progress;

Very slow going, not much to show for a lot of mucking' about.  I'm checking the scribing with watercolours and I have found a few boo-boos to fix :( .

Overall%2006.jpg

Hopefully the other side won't take so long, though I'm thinking of adding a bit more surface detail here and there.

Thanks for looking in on my little bird.

Dan