Czech Models T-33 Silver Star

BloorwestSiR

Hi everyone, 

Time for a new build. This is the Czech Models/Squadron T-33 Shooting Star kit I won in the LSP Christmas draw. 

IMG_20150330_235326.jpg

I've always thought about building one as the Canadian version which was called the CT-133 Silver Star. They were licence built by Canadair at Downsview, ON which is now a national park. They were in service with Canada for over 50 years so there are a lot of paint schemes to choose from. Winning this in the draw just pushed it to the forefront. 

A view of the box contents:

IMG_20150330_235358.jpg

Some extras I picked up from Harold:

The  cockpit set

IMG_20150330_235523.jpg

Exhaust and MLG wheels which were a bonus item that Harold threw in. Thank you very much!

IMG_20150330_235456.jpg

For markings, I haven't made a final decision yet. I really wanted to do the Silver Shark version which was in a bluish grey with a shark mouth but no one makes decals for it in 1/32. Leading Edge did a couple of sets in natural metal and greys but they looked a bit dull. CanMilAir has a number of options but I don't know anything about them and well, the prices are up there. I'm leaning towards a Natural Metal finish which will be a first for me. So we'll see.

Carl

Thanks to some input from other members here, I was given the heads up that the intakes and trunking might be a stumbling block.

As a result, I did a bunch of test fitting and noted where things would need tweaking.

IMG_20150331_230202.jpg

I cut the inner trunk section into two which was suggested in order to make fitting them easier.

IMG_20150403_093011.jpg

I then assembled the two outer trunk sections into one piece. This was then attached to the outer piece so that I can fill in the seams and get a smooth finish.

IMG_20150403_115611.jpg

While that was drying, I did a quick test fit of the wings and fuselage. Most of it seems to fit together really well. There is some flash here and there in places.

IMG_20150403_092820.jpg

One thing I noticed was a step at the rear wing/fuselage joint:

IMG_20150403_092831.jpg

By pressing down on the fuselage, the step disappears so I'll have to figure a way out to do that.

And that's it for now.

Carl

Yep....a do the same early before the build actually starts do discover potentional problems.....and as youve done spotted one....makes things easier....

There is several solutions to fix it, so im pretty shure that you will oick one from your bag of experiance to fix this....

As many there are builders there are solutions.....

If you ask me....if plastic is thick ibfo for warm water....if thin well then har work...nails theeth and all that wit plastic card ans work slow to make it shure it looks smooth and flawless..

so keep em coming....

/Mal

Ive built this kit and finished mine with the Aztec Decals scheme for the colourfull one with the Birds Head on the nose. Ill take some photos later if your interested. The kit goes together nicely overall. I used most of my filler on the wing to fuselage join.

Yep....a do the same early before the build actually starts do discover potentional problems.....and as youve done spotted one....makes things easier....

There is several solutions to fix it, so im pretty shure that you will oick one from your bag of experiance to fix this....

As many there are builders there are solutions.....

If you ask me....if plastic is thick ibfo for warm water....if thin well then har work...nails theeth and all that wit plastic card ans work slow to make it shure it looks smooth and flawless..

so keep em coming....

/Mal

Hi Mal,

I hadn't thought of trying to reshape the fuselage before assembly but that makes so much sense. The plastic is quite soft so hopefully that will do the trick.

Good show. if interested, I might have a resin main wheel well you can have.....Harv

Thanks for the offer Harv but I think I will pass on it. I've had terrible luck with AM gear bays so don't want to risk anything else on this build

Following with great interest, I want to start my RCAF one soon

Ron

It seems that many of the RCAF options are now OOP. That being said, Hannants still has a couple of Leading Edge sheets in stock and Ultracast has the Belcher Bits one which is what I'm leaning towards.

Looking forward to this build ;)

Wow, I'll have to step up my game if you're watching this build. I can imagine what you would do with this kit.

Carl - 

If you're doing a true CT-133 (Canadian built) there are some changes.

First, nice as Harold's late style T-33 main wheels are, they're not correct for a CT-133.  Here's the CT-133 main wheel:

CT_133mainwheel.jpg

The arrangement of the NACA scoop and the exhaust 'gills' on the gun bay door on the Czech Models kit are correct for a USAF T-33, but not for the CT-133.  Here's what later CT-133s looked like:

CT_133_Nose_Late.jpg

Finally, you need to add the oval exhaust opening on the LH aft fuselage.  Seen here above and behind the '8' aft of the roundel:

WPUSilver_Star.jpg

You probably also need to remove the trapezoidal skin doubler just behind the canopy on both sides of the upper fuselage.

HTH

J

Thanks for the photos and diagrams Jennings, they are going to be handy. I just checked the wheels from Harold and they don't match the photo you posted so I guess I won't be able to use them. 

HY 118 is the one I'm looking to do so your photo is great. 

Carl:  The T-33 was built by Canadair in Montreal..not Downsview..  DeHavilland Canada built the Chipmunk, Beaver, Otter (single and twin), Caribou, Buffalo, Dash 7, Dash 8 and Grumman Tracker at Downsview post WW2.

Barney

Thanks for the correction Barney. 

Ive built this kit and finished mine with the Aztec Decals scheme for the colourfull one with the Birds Head on the nose. Ill take some photos later if your interested. The kit goes together nicely overall. I used most of my filler on the wing to fuselage join.

It looks like the wing/fuselage join and the intakes are the ones to watch for. Thanks.

It's great seeing a WIP on this kit, have one in the stash that's never made it past dryfitting the intakes(ugh!!) Even better to see it in Canadian colors.

Don

Yup, the intakes seem to be the big stumbling block on this one. But I think I may have it licked.

Carl

So onto some progress with the build. 

After getting both outer intake trunks assembled, I did a test fit to the fuselage. Here's what I found:

IMG_20150408_212444.jpg

Without any modification to the fuselage, the intakes want to sit a bit low and out from the fuselage. There is a lip on the fuselage where the intake trunk goes and this was interfering with the fit of the trunk. 

IMG_20150408_212354.jpg

This is after I removed it.

IMG_20150408_213339.jpg

Test fitting after this mod showed that the intake now went in high enough but was still a bit proud of the fuselage surface.

IMG_20150408_214346.jpg

IMG_20150408_214402.jpg

Edited by BloorwestSiR

Neat! I quite like that scheme.

So onto some progress with the build. 

After getting both outer intake trunks assembled, I did a test fit to the fuselage. Here's what I found:

IMG_20150408_212444.jpg

Without any modification to the fuselage, the intakes want to sit a bit low and out from the fuselage. There is a lip on the fuselage where the intake trunk goes and this was interfering with the fit of the trunk. 

IMG_20150408_212354.jpg

This is after I removed it.

IMG_20150408_213339.jpg

Test fitting after this mod showed that the intake now went in high enough but was still a bit proud of the fuselage surface.

IMG_20150408_214346.jpg

IMG_20150408_214402.jpg

Hrmmmmm, your CT-33 seems to have migrated into a DML P-51 box. :lol:

Ok,
Bizzaro world. I copied your text and pics, and the originals still have the DML P-51 pics, but my "quote" of your pics shows the CT-33 progress!!!

I had to take a screenie or two so I could confirm I wasnt going crazy.................

DML_CT-33%20Thread_1.png

DML_CT-33%20Thread_2.png

To get them flush, I used a chisel that was the same width as the inner trunks and scraped a trough on either side of the centre section.

IMG_20150408_215200.jpg

This not only got the outer surface flush but also gave me a nice solid mount for the intakes

IMG_20150408_215242.jpg

IMG_20150408_215256.jpg

Now to repeat for the other side.

Carl