pilot and crews figures by Reedoak

norbert

Hi,

We still keep with the tie-down story.

we can do the pad-eyes in sets of 14 pieces and 14 hooks with a minimized footprint on the printer.

32zo_zpsiqrkq0jg.jpg

Hooks are done with a slot at the end, so it is easy to insert and glue the extreme chain link

32zm_zpsjwgp1udd.jpg

Naturaly, figures hook are easy to install despite there is a good installation side (hook point up, the other way is wrong)

32zn_zpsmnuc0myc.jpg

The installation on the aircraft requires more dexterity

32zl_zpstv4urlnm.jpg

Norbert

Excellent work (as always) Norbert... but where do we find the US Navy carrier deck section (large enough to contain a Super Hornet diagonally plus a fire tractor) to install those pad-eys into?

I need all those pad-eyes/hooks plus the two crewmen in the pic above... but without a proper deck section it's a problem  :doh:

Whick deck section have you used to install your pad-eyes? It looks great... measures?

cheers

Luca

Edited by Luca

Hi Luca

I did the deck section myself :

It's a section just ahead of the island : going forward, you have the island, a lift with the double row of red/yellow markings and then this section. There is another lift a little further ahead. The area is called the corral. On the angle of my plate is the angle of the lift, for a small note of colour.

I bought a piece of plywood, standard here in europe, 40 x 80 cm. I draw the position of the pad-eyes, checking with CVN deck pictures, knowing the standard pattern of pad-eyes is 10' x 10', with a row shifted at 5' in between. You draw also the other deck deck elements positions at that stage, and additional pad-eyes positions you may find on pictures. 
After you have marked the pad-eye position, you drill the pad-eyes holes. Then you prepare the deck surface. I think everybody has his own way. I primed the plywood surface with grey primer. Then I mixed white glue with black and white pigments and covered the deck with this mixture with a flat brush and before it dries, I went over with a fine comb to replicate the somewhat corrugated surface of the deck. I did this a second time to ensure you can not see the wood anymore. You grain everything protruding too much. You trace the deck pannels at this stage with a hobby knife, they will show up later. A spray of lighter grey paint over it, that you slightly grain (or wash) on the corrugated lines shows then up. At the end, you insert the pad-eyes, paint the deck markings depending to the deck section you replicate, some weathering and it's done.

Norbert

32zl_zpstv4urlnm.jpg

I've stared at this photo many times now, and I'm still not sure if it's the real thing or a model. I suspect the latter (due to the evidence of some wash on the nose leg retraction arm), and if so, it's just incredibly realistic.

Kev

Thanks Norbert... plywood tends to curve/bend with paint and the passage of time, already tried many years ago :(

You can also use extruded polystyrene in 20 mm thickness, or some large and rigid laminated wooden flooring tiles. BTW, If somebody knows the dimension of the US Navy life rafts container, you see all around a carrier, I would be interested

I've stared at this photo many times now, and I'm still not sure if it's the real thing or a model. I suspect the latter (due to the evidence of some wash on the nose leg retraction arm), and if so, it's just incredibly realistic.

Kev

Look at the port leg, I forgot to dismantel the tie-downs from the ring, and they shows whithout chain...

• 2 weeks later...

Great work (as always) Norbert... I need all these goodies (pad-eyes, crewmen) but my problem is the deck section... Flightpath makes a beautiful one, but it has sized for their White metal/etched pad-eyes...

Edited by Luca

Hi Luca

If you are more on plastic than on wood, you can find in do it yourself store polystyrene plates in 5 mm thickness. That could be also an advantage if you want to work the surface to reproduce the corrugated deck surface. The bigest plates are larger than an exhibition table, you can make this way a huge deck area.

Norbert

If you are more on plastic than on wood, you can find in do it yourself store polystyrene plates in 5 mm thickness. That could be also an advantage if you want to work the surface to reproduce the corrugated deck surface.

Hi Norbert, 5mm polystyrene plates seems a great idea... I'd like to reproduce the corrugated deck surface just as in your pictures above... any chance you make all the work for me? I'd pay you the whole job of course...

This way if they are needed more than 14 pad-eyes to fill the entire section you can let me pay more...

Edited by Luca