1:32 IMCTH P-51 Mustang. 27.08.2017 Engine fitted

Fooesboy

• 1 year later...

Finally an update!!!

I never meant to put this down for so long, I was at the point of painting the propeller and came accross DirkE's build of his Kitty Hawk T-28 (unfortunately thanks to Photofukit no more photos) and he had done an amazing job on the prop... so realistic it kinda put me off....

Now I know that build threads are suposed to inspire, and it has it was just the timing... I knew that there was now way I could achieve this sort of result.

prop.jpg

(Photo used with permission from DirkE)

Fast forward 16 months and I have been itching to get back to my Mustang... Fortunatly I had saved this photo, printed it off even, and would occasionaly be looking at it trying to muster up the courage to have a go.

This is what I have come up with, it is lacking the finesse that Dirk has shown on his example. 

DSC01897.jpg

DSC01898.jpg

DSC01899.jpg

I have also been working on the engine, I had gone a bit overboard with the AK Engine weathering washes and it looked terrible. I ended up applying another coat of thinned black over the top and it is starting to look acceptable.

DSC01900.jpg

DSC01901.jpg

The last bit to show are the wheels, I have added some dust and altered the colour of the tread.

DSC01895.jpg

I have also been working on the engine bearers, this has turned into another disaster that I will share with you all in the next update...

Edited by Fooesboy

Well gang,

The engine bearers ane finally done and the engine has been attached to the fuesalage!

A major step forward for me and has definitely been the hardest part of this build by far. I have lost count of how many times I have tried to do this only to have the parts break apart.

The trick I found was to use 30 mintue epoxy instead of CA to glue the side pieces C39, C40, C41 & C42 to the white metal pieces G4 & G5. For anyone following along, take extra care to ensure G4 & G5 are bent to the correct angle. I also gave up trying to assemble as per the instructions and instead attached the bearers to the firewall and used part G1 to set the correct gape at the front. I had thought about attaching part G1 at this stage but found that it was impossible to fit the engine.

DSC01902.jpg

Sorry about the terrible photo but I thought it important showing what I have done.

Everything was then cleaned, sanded and scuffed with scotchbrite. Once I was happy, the fuse was very carefully masked.

DSC01945.jpg

I then used Tamiya metal primer from the rattle can followed by airbrushing my zinc chromate green, this showed up the gaps that needed to be filled.

DSC01946.jpg

DSC01947.jpg

It took me several rounds of filling, sanding, painting and checking before I was happy with the resault.

DSC01948.jpg

DSC01949.jpg

Fitting the engine took quite a lot more persuasion that I would have liked and all the handeling has resulted in some damage that I am yet to fix.

DSC01950.jpg

Words fail me, I am so glad to have gotten through this step, it's not my best work but there is no way I was going to attempt to redo it.

Sitting down at the bench today are looking over what I have left to do...

The way I see it is that there are 2 more complicated steps left, then it's just final assembly.

1) fitting the 9 pirces of solder for the pipe work in the engine bay.

2) the dreaded vac formed canopy with the die cut foil trim.

I've had a look again at the IMCTH website and they have an interesting series of videos were they are building the Zero, unfortunately in Japanese but it does give some good tips on how to handle the canopy.

Edited by Fooesboy

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Chris,

This is really outstanding work. You can be very proud of your accomplishment here. The engine bearers and engine mounting is one of the most difficult parts of this build; I wish my work looked half as good as yours.

And, yes, the cooling piping is a very tough item. I ended up replacing the kit supplied solder with solder in a couple of different sizes to match my research photos. Also, the replacement stuff is much more pliable and easy to work with.

Can't wait to see your work on the canopy framing.

John

• 2 months later...