1:32 IMCTH P-51 Mustang. 27.08.2017 Engine fitted

Fooesboy

Thanks guys for the links, I'll get down to some serious reading shortly!

Adding much extra detail is going to present some unique challenges that I'm not sure if I'm up to, the biggest being that I will not be able to "just" drill a couple of holes into a bulk head and insert some wire, as every part of the inside will be on display. This will mean the every wire or hydraulic line would need to be constructed along its complete length... :help:  :frantic:

Yea the Desktop Mustang from IMCTH.

In the spirit of trying to learn something new I am going to attempt to solder the bulk of the white metal parts of the engine together...  :hmmm:

My reasoning is that the solder "should" fill the small gaps providing a strong bond without the need for any filler, time will tell but it seams (at least before I have started) to be an interesting option!

Yea the Desktop Mustang from IMCTH.

In the spirit of trying to learn something new I am going to attempt to solder the bulk of the white metal parts of the engine together...  :hmmm:

My reasoning is that the solder "should" fill the small gaps providing a strong bond without the need for any filler, time will tell but it seams (at least before I have started) to be an interesting option!

I would test that first just in case the soldering iron melts the actual parts. I seem to recall using Araldite or Superglue on white metal parts of locos, and soldering he brass parts.

I would test that first just in case the soldering iron melts the actual parts. I seem to recall using Araldite or Superglue on white metal parts of locos, and soldering he brass parts.

Can't agree more. Be careful that the melting temperature of the white metal is not lower than the one for solder...

Hubert

Nice! Have you seen Johns build of the PE mustang,109 and Zero?

Havnt looked for the links to the builds but they are out there in In Progress forums I believe.

Found Johns links to his IMCTH builds:

Johns IMCTH Zero

Johns IMCTH 109

Johns IMCTH P-51 (couldnt find his WIP for this only the RFI)

And here was me thinking that Mustang was a funny name For a girl??? :rofl:

(Don't know why I can't quote the post that I'm replying to???)

Cheers Brian for the links, I have seen Johns work (very inspirational stuff), in fact it is his build threads that led me via the google search function to LSP in the first place.

And thanks guys for the heads up regarding the melting temperature of the white metal. I will of course be testing on some off cuts before I commit to the parts.

I know that most people use CA or 2 part epoxy for this job and I have an abundance of each, but in true Chris style I have a new "tool" some Nokorode flux after watching Paul Budzik's very informative youtube video on soldering and I'm looking for an excuse to try it! :innocent:

Edited by Fooesboy

OK gang,

you may now start your ridicule! :oops:

The heat from the soldering iron was enough to quickly melt the white metal, on my trial piece if I was very careful and QUICK it would produce a nice joint but just a second too long and the part would melt.

I'm not brave enough to try this on the kit parts so I will stick (pun intended) with glue.

At this stage I am planning on using epoxy for the larger and heaver main pieces and then thick CA for the add on's.

Small update with photos to follow tonight if I manage some bench time.

I personally think soldering would be the way to go if the kit could "take the heat"; literally.   I dont recall, did John use soldering or CA on his?

John used CA mostly on his kits with some epoxy I think.

The PE is stainless steel not nickel plated brass and therefor does not solder so the only option with the PE parts from IMCTH is CA.

John used CA mostly on his kits with some epoxy I think.

The PE is stainless steel not nickel plated brass and therefor does not solder so the only option with the PE parts from IMCTH is CA.

Ah, good to know.