Airfix Mosquito 1/24 Inside and Out

mlcflhs

Hi Anthony,

thanks for the rewarding remarks. :bow: . I have to say I'm not really pleased at the moment. One bit I don't like is the piece between the ammo boxes and the entrance to the instrument panel. Not very tidy, I presume some glue oozed out.  :oops: 

Yesterday I seem to have started on the Bomb Bays. I currently have all tanks from the kit assembled and laying on the bench ready for sanding. I have decided I don't now what I want to insert so its going to be quite a task and lots of magnets.

Currently planned, but its a big dream and probably not possible.

1. All Tanks will be fitted with magnets so that they are interchangeable.

2. The Bombs will be fitted in the same manner.

3. The Hispanos will also have magnets and I intend to use the resin guns from EDUARD made for the Typhoon.

4. This is the best bit and I'm not sure how to achieve it. I plan to build a Molins 57mm  Gun in 1/24 naturally also with magnets. This might be done at a later date, after the basic kit is finished.

Now the bad bit. I will need to experiment with the magnets and hope that the 2mm sized will be strong enough to hold everything.  If not then I'll either have to come up with another solution :hmmm:, or keep to one setup. :crying: .

The work on your Auster T7 is really good. It doesn't look like its rebuilt more like new. :goodjob: :thumbsup:

I hope to get the Ammo Belts today.  I might have a way of putting a chute around them, As there are 5 sets I'll be able to waste one on an experiment.

Cheers,

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

its time to continue

Unit 11 Bomb Bays

as this unit consists in my eyes of a few bits and bobs. I'll be splitting it up and posting after each sub assembly.

This first the Hispanos has been nearly finished. As always when making photos I see that a few places need touching up, as as its only minor I'll be doing it in the next few days. The Hispanos from Airfix have been replaced with those from EDUARD and where the underside is not visible in the Typhoon, I had to slice off a few items from the Airfix guns and glue them to the filled underside of EDUARD's. Not to difficult but a little fiddly. The barrels where replaced with those from Master Casters. I haven't painted the the recoils as I am still wondering what looks best. There are also a few decals missing.

Currently I'm not sure if the assembly will be fixed or interchangeable with a Molin Cannon as the Master Caster barrels are a tight fit and the risk of breaking something when changing is high. Nevertheless I still currently plan to build a Molin in 1/24.

I received the ammo belts for a .50 in 1/35 from Live Resin and have to say they look great in the nose. I still need to bend them, and that could be quit a challenge as the resin is very thin. Anyhow the next task is planned so that will be posted soon. ( I hope and if everything goes as planned.)

Here are the pics of the Hispannos,

uc?export=view&id=1XzUKO9W0C4ZUhraX3VpCq

uc?export=view&id=1mB-f2QxxOsLog3UqvAEJh

uc?export=view&id=1_oxi_d6FFytrwg7qCcHOg

uc?export=view&id=1ZMc3Bx8zRXfJCKo09HCKq

uc?export=view&id=1qcvFR1vFEne7uLEnvW_nu

uc?export=view&id=18RhiTswC5QtAJ2-P6788s

uc?export=view&id=10jaiHeCGHjf8P2wpqXOOl

uc?export=view&id=1YjHguqWvK0wuDoUQ86GNo

uc?export=view&id=1Ia1WUcO3gmkyz03AVJGkw

Hope you enjoy the pics and as always !

Questions and criticism are always welcome.

Cheers,

Mike

Edited by mlcflhs
Relinking images

Hi Jim,

seems your good luck  wishes worked. I just bent the first one and painted it. I'll try and put it in place tomorrow, then once the rest are done the pics will follow.

The technique I used was probably risky but it seems to have worked. I held one end in a pair of tweezers and held the belt about 8 cm above a candle. After a few secs of continuous moving the belts are flexible enough to bend into position. Bowl of cold water was used to fix the position once they were bent.

Cheers,

Mike

Hello all,

Jim's good luck wished seemed to have worked.

I finally mounted the ammo belts in the nose. As described before I used .50 belts in 1:35 as .303 belts in 1:24. There is a slight size difference but it comes down to 0.55mm and thats not really worth worrying about.

Variations from the original.

1. Naturally the belts should be chutes. Regretfully couldn't find anything suitable, and I have to admit I liked the idea of actually seeing the bullets.

2. The coloring is off, I used copper, aluminum and flat black. I did try other colors that matched the original better but I have to say that detail went missing as it was to dark.

Anyhow, one pic with a 1 cent piece for reference.

Image move to other post

Hope you like it and excuse the missing reference to the original.

Cheers,

Mike

Edited by mlcflhs
Relinking images

• 4 weeks later...

Back again,

glad you like it Anthony.

its been a while but the bomb bay is nearly ready. Only a few pipes and wires to be laid, but that's something I'll do in the next few days.

I was able to make all tanks and the bomb structure interchangeable with magnets. My favorite 2mm as usual. In total I have installed 28 magnets. Everything holds in place perfect, and when replacing parts they even jump into place with no effort.

I'm still working on the bombs as I'm not satisfied with the shine.

I'll also try and get one side wall set up with magnets as well to try and make the replacement of tanks etc. a little easier.

Anyway here are the photos.

uc?export=view&id=1-Aok-cHuTOJhuT1eeiLz0

One of the two smaller tanks.

Long range tank.

uc?export=view&id=1RqzQsykSDg13fzH0DGkdY

Long range tank install. This is held in place by 4 magnets in the bomb bay and 4 sets of two magnets on the main forward tank.

uc?export=view&id=14QIuuVdonH_Hq6Ddi8aCo

Here you can see the bomb bay and the 4 magnets on the inside.

uc?export=view&id=1asT1C_BOsGjXLKejIYgKi

Edited by mlcflhs
Relinking images

uc?export=view&id=1Pp6EAWUu7xvVBCJARNMjB

Smaller tank in place

uc?export=view&id=1Sf0F7CE18plJM27f5IdKV

Both tanks in place each tank has two magnets as counter parts to the bomb bay magnets.

uc?export=view&id=12PEme5Ffy2ymfoWX3qt4z

Bomb holding structure. This is held in place with a total of 12 magnets.

uc?export=view&id=1AtGGZ5FEEqD1ijooGs1Xr

Mounted bomb. Personally I think its too shiny so there will be a rework here.

uc?export=view&id=1tt4U1zseamKUCkteBxh5z

Heating for the Hispanos.

All photos have been made with the Mossie laying on its back. In a normal flight mode the magnets hold perfect, and there is no sign of anything falling out!

Once the bombs have been reworked and additional wiring and piping is laid I intend to finish the walls and hydraulics.  As stated above one wall will most likely be fitted with magnets.

Will probably then move onto the bomb bay doors, a quick test show that they still fit well.

Anyway,

Hope you like the photos and if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers,

Mike

Edited by mlcflhs
Relinking images

Hi Jim,

I got the 2mm neodym micro magnets from Amazon. 50 for around € 9.00 so they are not really expensive. The problem is that they do have a will of their own, and don't even think of using tweezers to put them in place. It doesn't work.

I used a toothpick with a little blue tack on the end. Then pressed in place with the rear end of a paint brush.

Cheers,

Mike

Edited by mlcflhs

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Anthony,

sorry for not replying earlier, but I have had a few problems with the Mossie this time.

The bomb bay doors now close and the hydraulics work (by hand) as well. Nevertheless the doors needed a bit of extra adapting to fit and it seems as if the hydraulic cylinders in the kit are a little out of proportion. I used PE hinges from ABER which are normaly used in model cars. They work fine but I needed to reduce the number from 8 to 4 so as to make it a little easier.  The side wall can also be removed to give ease of access to the bomb bay for changing the interior. I'll probably shorten the main tank by about 2 mm also, so as to give a little extra room for the hydraulic cylinders.

Anyway, here's the last part of this unit,  and in two or three days ( I still want to clean a few things inside ) I'll wrap it all up in clingfoil and move on to the engine nacels.

Here are the photos and I hope you all like  them.

Original photos regrettfully lost

uc?export=view&id=1r41YqOcju6nGSF2jnO8hY

This bit didn't fit quite so well so I had to build up a little. I'll be filling and sanding later when I move onto the outside.

Closing again.

:yahoo:  Well I am glad to have finished this bit as it did become a little challenging.

Hope you enjoy the final bomb bay solution as I do.

And as always Comments and Questions are always welcome.

Cheers,

Mike

Edited by mlcflhs
Relinking images

Hey Mike!

Never apologize mate, I totally understand with big projects like this. I am genuinely lost for words.

Just when I thought you couldnt get more crazy....you then go more crazy with the details! This is truly incredible and although I cant wait to see her finished and 'displayed' I dont want your build thread to finish as I enjoy it just so much.

Good save on the fuselage fwd of the bomb doors, no one will ever know once the outside has been done.

Well done my friend....well done and thanks for the update, I can see there has been a serious amount of work go into that!

Cheers

Anthony

• 3 weeks later...

"One For the Road"

Modular building of this Mossie caused a need for a small project to be inserted. As I need to put the Mossie away for a while due to lack of room for my hobby, our balcony is being renovated and the flowers need to come in, I decided to put everything into the glass cabinet. Then it dawned on me and I discovered I had a problem. Where do I put the bits that are currently not in use?

I decided to call Mr. Mainwaring of the Home Guard and he said that he would ask Walker if he could find a Bomb Trolley. After three weeks he called back and said he had found one and would ask Jones to take it to the airfield.

Hope you enjoy the pics: :beer:

uc?export=view&id=1B8EETITgHFy2nIjMpdKWb

uc?export=view&id=1HyfseIpSsumZxSLTU56mJ

uc?export=view&id=1RC-eEzE3gV8A8_C1Gxkql

uc?export=view&id=13xnMQyK9PZ0Fx4buLloQa

uc?export=view&id=1qydC0WuIaxg7BRGkwzoOs

uc?export=view&id=1qsX8EcZ_uFjmHxag2ekcT

On delivery it turned out that Walker had actually scratch built the bomb trolley using resin wheels from a 1/48 Hummer, and the front wheel axles fell off a 1/24 truck.

As always!

Questions and Comments always welcome.

Cheers,

Mike

PS: For all who are wondering, the names of the characters in this story are from the British Sitcom Dad's Army. The Ford Box Van in the first pic is a common sight on this great TV parody.

Edited by mlcflhs
Relinking images

Hey Mike, Dad's army was always a favourite when I was a kid. What a great collection of parts to make up the bomb trolley etc.  Very funny story mate...

I know that the big Airfix Mossie is an intense build.  I need to walk away from time to time as well just to stay sane.  I am really enjoying this Tamiya one for a breather.......might get back to it tomorrow now I am back from holiday.