Airfix Mosquito 1/24 Inside and Out

mlcflhs

Hi Anthony, Richard and HÃ¥kan

glad you like the work. :yahoo:

@Anthony: I agree about the white interior. When I got to deciding which color I recalled seeing one Mosie with a green interior. Then thought it would look better as well, so green it was.

Have to admit now that I cannot remember where I saw this. I'll do a bit of research again and see if I can find the photo, if not then I'll change it to white. Will be a little difficult as I can't take the tanks out, but I should be able to mask then somehow. Thanks for the hint. I owe you a  :beer:.

Edit: Just finished looking through all documentation I have. I can't find the photo with the green tank bays. I was probably getting the tanks in the bomb bays mixed up with those in the wings. Anyway Anthony's right, so I need to get the airbrush our before finally assembling everything. :oops:

Cheers,

Mike

Edited by mlcflhs

• 1 month later...

Finally I got there!

Unit 9 Radiators

I know Anthony is waiting for this bit!

After having the impression I have been building on these for around 3 months it turned out it was only 7 weaks. :mental:

I started on the easier parts the radiators. After comparing lots of photos again I decided to build the version you can see in the photo's below. So I started with the original Airfix radiators and discovered, they where not dimensioned correctly. So I had to build my own. Each set consists of 4 boxes with the well known photo etch parts. Only problem as these were made to fit the Airfix radiators they did not fit. So out with the very sharp scissors and chop bits of here and there.

I actually built two complete sets of radiators. The first was a failure but lucky for me I discovered before the photo etch bits went on.

Images moved to other posts

After building up the radiators I sat down and mounted them on trays. These where then installed in the wings, after installing control rods and hydraulics, at  the appropriate position.

After already having a failure with the radiators. The journey went on, and I built the spares and frames for all the bit of pipes that where going to cause lots of head aches.

This is what I ended up with after 4 attempts. I'm not really satisfied, but at least I know how to do it better in the future ( If I build another Mossie).

The two main problems where:

1. What do I use for the piping?

Plastic was a failure, as the bigger pipes just decided to go straight over night.

Copper or Brass pipe didn't bend so well in the small radius with the bigger bits.

I finally used standard electric wire I had left over from an old mains extension including shielding.

2. How do I get the pipes in there?

There was not much room for inserting the bent pipes.

Only solution I could get to work was make each bit separately and stick them together with super glue. It was like open heart surgery, using three tweezers at the same time.

Last thing I did was to actually stick .25mm rubber bands around the separate compartments as a sealant, and where the pips went through the spares.

Here are the last of the photos.

The next is currently my favorite. The Panels are attached and waiting for tape to close them for a while. :popcorn:

Next I'll probably move onto the nacelles. But after a break and building a dodge charger in 1/24 and a hawker hurricane in 1/72 with photo etch parts. I need that break.

Any questions are welcome!

Cheers,

Mike

Edited by mlcflhs
Relinking images

Now thats what I have been waiting for!! Thank you Michael

Those radiators look brilliant.  Thank you for such an informative post as to what you did as I am going to build new ones as well.  Did you glue the radiator cores onto the bottom panel first and then put the tops on? How did you get on underneath at the outlets?

Sorry for the questions but I need to know for my one.

Oh one more question, what did your opening finish up at, at the leading edge lips (centre of upper leading edge radius to centre of lower leading edge radius)

Cheers and thanks for the update

Anthony

Thanks Ron glad you like it.

Hi Anthony,

I took all of the Airfix bits out and only used the two small deflectors attached to the from of the radiators.

The outlets were actually the easiest as I stuck with the standard from Airfix. The deflectors leading from top radiator to rear of outlet where standard .25mm sheets that I inserted.

The cones on top of the radiators took three tries. First I used FIMO a kind of plasticine that hardens in the oven. This was not very satisfactory so I then tried carving them from polystyrene, also not really the thing I wanted. Finally I made them from small pieces of tin which I bent over a rod to get the shape the outlets to the cones where made from plastic and super glued in and then filled up with filler.

The radiators actually don't fit 100% into the wings and I have about 1mm at the top leading edge free, this turned out to be a help as it left a little more room for building up the inside. So if anybody looks into the front and up slightly he can see a small gap. :oops:  I built simple boxes as radiators with the top slightly overlapping fore and aft. These where then glued together onto a small sheet and after adding the photo etches and building up the front frames I glued them in one piece onto the lower panel.

I actually made decals for the tops of the radiators representing the various seems, that I set before building up the spares. The outcome was brilliant. but regretfully got destroyed while fitting the pips etc. :rolleyes:

The next build:

If I build another Mosie in 1/24 I'll probably remove all panels and build two separate modules to be inserted from the front, including leading wing edge. These would then include radiator, lower panel, spares, pipes and any other bits. It would probably be a lot easier to make as there really is not much room inside for maneuvering the bits and bobs when gluing.

I'm not sure what you mean with your last question .  Could you rephrase :please: and I'll try to answer.

Cheers,

Mike

Edited by mlcflhs

Great explanation Mike, thank you

Sorry I knew I wasn't very clear and you would wonder what I was blabbering on about, this will explain

09_061_zps1xblj8ix.jpg

Because I cut away a lot of internals I need a recheck of the measurement to see if I am far out.

Cheers

Anthony

Perfect, thank you very much Mike!

I am working on my tailwheel oleo at the moment whilst I decided what to do on the radiators. What started as a little scrape and scratch here and there has ended up with it in about 5 pieces so far whilst I detail it.....Arrrrgh!

I know what you mean, this kit is an intense build/correct and I just have to walk away and clear my head of it now and then and come back with fresh eyes.

Keep up the great work, you are an inspiration.

Cheers

Anthony

Hi Anthony,

Just what I think as well. Lots of correcting, but I still think its a great kit, as it leaves lots of room for improvement.

As to the clearing my head.

"after a break and building a dodge charger in 1/24 and a hawker hurricane in 1/72 with photo etch parts. I need that break"

Can't wait to see your tail wheel.

Cheers,

Mike

• 2 months later...

Hello all,

Summer has passed here in Europe and, after two breaks from the Mossie with a Dodge Charger in 1/24, Hawker Hurricane and a Sea Fury both in 1/72, I finally got round to continuing the build.  Not as planned with the nacelles but with the nose guns, as I felt like I need something more out of the box than what is planned on the nacelles.

Unit 10 Nose Guns and Gun Camera,

The Ammo Chutes are really terrible on the Airfix Mosie, not surprised PARAGON made the Ammo Chutes. Surprisingly half way through the Nose Build they popped up on eBay together with position lights, undercarriage and exhausts. The bidding is still going on but I have to say I'm not willing to pay over 30GBP for those ammo chutes. And quit honest the rest should not really be necessary although they would probably make life easier.  I've actually ordered some .50 gun belts in 1/35 from live-resin. If my calculations are correct there should only be .55mm missing. So the plan is, once they arrive set them in instead of those rubbery things from Airfix. I know it won't be very close to the original as the bullets are naturally visible, but I hope it will be more interesting to look at with the rounds open. :please:

Talking of PARAGON I have decided to use Truck Lamps from an Italari Set as position lamps. It seems they are around the same size, and as I intend to put LEDS inside it will be better as they have chrome casing. Only problem will be getting them into the closed fuselage.

In the nose of the Mossie I decided to connect the browning will all connectors not much can be seen under the ammo boxes, but at least I know they are there. I also chucked the camera out and replaced it with a scratch build representing the camera itself and not the covering. Naturally also with connector wire. The front lens being in the tunnel made me think of painting it silver. Again not original but it becomes a bit more visible.

I also drilled a hole for the nose landing light and placed an LED behind. Looks great , but at the moment I don't have a photo.  Once I have inserted the ammo belts I'll post a few more pics together with the landing light.

Anyway enough writing and now to the photos.

uc?export=view&id=1DOxh92zhJgKhLNDrIlXab

uc?export=view&id=1Nef_xBoD0iyjjhgV2KcLB

uc?export=view&id=17i2EYmCJl0a5L4GBx8ezN

uc?export=view&id=1YFqy6477ggT2yH0XLgsvY

uc?export=view&id=1JHYo4iN-0VzgmmDDV6cFi

uc?export=view&id=1kh7mRW-FJdyvpW_eOGIqs

uc?export=view&id=1H-ogauA_Afn6rqTROS7Jm

uc?export=view&id=1eq6trxETRA8AiHGGQJ_Ff

uc?export=view&id=1AUwunL7oJz9D5NjqsRUz-

Hope you like the build and as always comments are welcome.

Not too sure where I will continue, but I'm actually thinking of moving onto the bomb bays, once I have the position lamps in place. Talking of position lamps that's going to be a challenge.

Cheers,

Mike

Edited by mlcflhs
Relinking images

Hi Mr. Noname, :oops:

I presume you mean the decals and not stencils. I have a complete set from "airscale" in various scales. Both Dials and Placard Details. Very usefull when detailing smaller things as I often find something that matches. If things come to the worst I make my own using either white or transparent A4 decal sheets for the printer.

Cheers,

Mike

Mike that is sensational mate!!! Everything you do on her is a masterpiece. I hope I can get my nose bay looking half as good as that! Well done, it makes me want to get back onto my one again....

I have not been at the modelling desk for a while as I have been doing some 1:1 work on my Auster T7 rebuild. Not as interesting as what you have done, but this was a rusted mess when I started.

we552%20004_zpshj2ftmhr.jpg

Lots to go, but progress is steady!

Thanks for the update as always, I am off for another detailed read of what you have done.

Cheers

Anthony