My new project - 1/32 Mirage F1

Loic

Last update for the weekend, and here start the mess :)

Been working on the air intake starting with the shape that mate the fuselage and the intake itself (don't know the inglish name) and fin it very difficlut to get the shape right and symetrical as both sides must be perfectly similar (well they should at least).

I had to run a lot of touch up session but in the end I managed to make something I am happy with:

DSC04111_zpsv8xzolzw.jpg

Time to start working on the rest of the fuselage ... that's going to be the hard bit as the shapes are quite difficult to replicate I think.

Thanks for following  ;)

Loic...if you continue doing this ill soon ring your door bell with a nice bordeaux table wine or some white whine frwnch or italian and som nice bread and olives of hig quality and grate cheese....and you show me everything in your sleeve......

I Love This.....

/Mal

Man, I'm amazed how smooth everything looks in this project. If I were to try something similar my lines would go all over. With many gaps covered with putty. Now, you mention that your using CA because it's easier to clean. Can you explain how? Every time I messup with CA it looks like crap and hard to clean. So, any pointers here will be greatly appreciated ;)

Dear Loic, what a stunning project. The quality of this work is fantastic and I do applaude your choice of subject !

I've recently started on something I've never done before - an ocean for a 1/350 ship. I found a superb how-to that made me think "well that's not hard at all" and off I went. I was a bit harder that than :hmmm: but actually not that bad. This makes me feel the same way - hey that is not too hard, I can do that. Somehow I just feel that this would fight me even more, but it has certainly given me an appetite for trying. I am especially fascinated by how you make the skin, so simple (well sort of) yet effective ...

Inspiring

Many, many thanks for the praise guys !

@ Mike: I should have said "easier", not "easy"... but the fact is that you can sand CA but regular liquid glue is melting the styren so any missplaced drop is very difficult to clean. With CA, you only need a piece os sand paper and a bit of courage ...

@ Mark: I do use Template whenever it is possible but sometime, you would need 2 templates and making the templates gets equally complicated as making the parts... well, templates are good Tools and I generaly make mines from paper card when it is possible.

@ Thomas: I would say that most of these technics seam complicated... but only until you try them! Most of the scratch-building technics I use are very simple in fact but they need practice to give good results. My best advice is "try it, you'll love it " !

;)

Edited by Loic

Loic...if you continue doing this ill soon ring your door bell with a nice bordeaux table wine or some white whine frwnch or italian and som nice bread and olives of hig quality and grate cheese....and you show me everything in your sleeve......

I Love This.....

/Mal

Mal,

you are welcome home anytime mate ! especially with drink and food   ;)

:beer4:

May I join you guys? Good food, good wine and superb scratch building... what could beat that combo, ey??

Loic, fantastc progress. And such an elegant airplane. Keep on the good work.

Cheers

Rainer

For the last layer, the outside I'm assuming you're following along panel lines then?

also how thick is the total skin then 1mm or more? I'm also thinking about doing a project and your post here surely has made it more appealing to me. Is it possible to remove the frame/ skeleton afterwards and still keep a sturdy skin? inquiry minds want to know if this all is easily sawed in two pieces as I can imagine the Ca being quite brittle or is that hardly the case.....

I know some trick Q's but you have seem to master it well.

Kick ass project BTW I love the F1 and you have been making stupendous fast progress on this one....

Cheers

Frederick Jacobs

Hi Frederick,

I do NOT follow the panel lines for the last layer. The worst thing to happen would be to have to scribe allong a seam made of CA glue.

I try to "design" their shape so that the can easily match the surface to skin and so that they stay away from the panel lines (time will tell if I managed or not).

CA is not that brittle but you need to be carefull when scribbing.

The thickness is 1.3mm (3x0.4mm styren sheet + CA layers - sanding) and the skin is as solid a an injection kit. The skeleton can then be taken off without any issue. The purpose of lamination (several layer glued together) is that for equal thickness, laminated material is much , much stronger than plain material (ex: plywood).

Saw off is not that tricky but you need a rasor saw or anything thin as you will loose material in the process that you will have to replace afterward.

Hope this helps  ;)