A-6 E aftermarket cockpit

gunner

I like the look of the Aires & Eduard Brassin pits & the pre-painted Eduard PE, however, neither company is known to put out "correct" aftermarket cockpits & other pertinent details. They all seem to be hybrids of sorts or are simply not correct for most or any operational variant. In the case of the Brassin pits, for example, their 1/48 F-4J pit for Academy kit comes to mind. It was derived from the 1967 NATOPS. That pit is not accurate for any F-4J other than the small amount of early examples before the newer radar & ECM suites became widely available & retrofitted. Basically it's trash for almost all operational F-4J's. Just do your research before purchasing their gear. I like tons of AM to dress up my kits, too, since I'm not a good scratch builder. However, I've wasted way too much money on most AM that is not accurate. Nature of the beast I reckon. 

Semper Fi,

Masterguns

• 1 year later...

Hi to you all! Just resurrecting this thread as I am now the lucky owner of some of the nicest plastic I've yet to fondle! The Trumpeter A-6E is now in my stash and is fairly close to the top of the 'To Build' list.

I've read most posts regarding the seats and it seems that the best ones are the True Details GRU-7s for the A-6E and AMS Resin's GBU-5's for the A-6A, would that be correct? I've looked into getting the Avionix cockpit set, but to be really honest it does not add that much extra detail for the money and includes what seem to be the wrong seats for either the-A or -E.

As far as decals go, I'm probably looking at a Desert Storm aircraft from the AOA decals range, which just leaves the weapon load. Sadly there are not a great deal of images of Desert Storm aircraft carrying a load other than Mk.82s; I was hoping to include the AMS Mk.20 Rockeye's as well as something a little more interesting than just plain green bombs. Any ideas anyone?

I've looked into getting the Avionix cockpit set, but to be really honest it does not add that much extra detail for the money and includes what seem to be the wrong seats for either the-A or -E.

True Details GRU-7s are the resin copies of the Avionix/BB A-6A cockpit seats (and IIRC both TD and BB have a wrong headrest for the A-6E GRU-7). So at the moment there are no correct seats out there for the A-6E... hoping for incoming AMS seats (who already makes the only correct seat for the A-6A, the GRU-5).

Edited by Luca

The inboard AGM-88 HARM missile fit appeals for a Desert Storm jet.

Not sure there are decals, but some of the ca.1986 Libya action kit was impressive: Harpoons, Rockeyes etc.

Tony

• 4 weeks later...

I was wondering that myself as there are Aires GRU-7A seats available. What I failed to read is that the hard to find True Details seats are, in fact, identical to the seats in the Avionix cockpit set, which seems easier to get hold of

Or at least I thought so... If anyone has either the Avionix cockpit set or the True Details seats, I'd be very interested in buying them.

I'd go with the Aires seats: the Avionix ones have incorrect shoulder belts and the üpit itself is just a slightly improved copy of the kit part. Just modify the seat cushions and fiddle around on the headrest and the Aires seats are just fine (for me at least). A few wires and knobs made with a punch & die setwill greatly improve the kit cockpit. 

Regarding the GRU-5's: not only Harold has them, Retro Kit also sells a nice set of GRU-5's.