RAAF CAC Sabre. Finished. Thankyou Brick!

ericg

Guest Peterpools

Eric

What a fantastic IP! Not a bit of space void of any detail ...  some mighty fearsome work. Since the build is so specific as to the exact aircraft, I would go with the actual Sidewinders carried; inert. Terrific work on scratching out the Sidewinders; they look so good.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Onto the wheels, there is no tread on the tyres. I decided to try and see if I could use my lathe to assist with the task of getting 7 grooves onto a fairly small space, and doing them even and straight. I have never cut tread like this but after messing around with the lathe helping my mate Phil do some pretty cool stuff mastering wheels for an even rarer RAAF jet than the Sabre (at least in 1/32 scale anyway) I was confident that this would work.

0F419FE8-F852-4974-A22D-39FBFD95DE78_zps

I mounted an hobby knife with a number 11 blade upside down In the tool post and disengaged the drive belt so that I could very carefully cut each groove by spinning the chuck by hand. Once each was cut it was a simple matter of moving the compound drive a tiny bit and then cutting the next one and so on.

6C2E4EC8-F2FE-4960-8BE2-1DBDC31B8935_zps

Great success!

9E9FE20A-DAB7-4A78-9D38-EB4F77F2B751_zps

Some more Instrument panel progress and it is now in paint. Gunze sangyo Tyre black. The details that I have added have incorporated well into the Aires details. this part would look great as a one part resin copy, but there is no time for that!

CBDA840D-60DE-4DCA-8B77-510AE184B3E8_zps

The seat was changed by the RAAF in response to some fatalities during ejections from the aircraft. I really wanted to try and capture some of those changes as they really do make a difference to the look of the seat. Extended pull handles and a whole new rear frame that held the canopy breaker bolt were scratched with plastic card and brass. Some compromises needed to be made with the rear frame as it still needed to fit within the Aires pit.

842077D0-E146-4D55-86DF-57A52BE2DC6D_zps

cee34780-90ba-4d2c-ba5e-2bc5473e5a67_zps

The pit almost there.

CDE8F25C-A61F-41E6-8A0E-3D3DFDD350D3_zps

Thinking about the missiles, I did some further research. There has been a lot going on behind the scenes via email between Brick and myself and I looked back through them. He did say that the inerts that he carried were white body with natural metal gyro stabilisers and fittings. The bodies were painted black after his time Butterwoth, which must have been very soon after as this excellent video shows of operations in Butterworth during 1964-65. I do stretch the friendship with Brick though as I am asking him to recall specific details of things that happened almost 55 years ago. I am sure he loves it hey Brick?

Pausing at 3:54 shows the boys returning after a sortie with black body inert 'winders.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kPdrdPcfZKU

Onto the wheels, there is no tread on the tyres. I decided to try and see if I could use my lathe to assist with the task of getting 7 grooves onto a fairly small space, and doing them even and straight. I have never cut tread like this but after messing around with the lathe helping my mate Phil do some pretty cool stuff mastering wheels for an even rarer RAAF jet than the Sabre (at least in 1/32 scale anyway) I was confident that this would work.

0F419FE8-F852-4974-A22D-39FBFD95DE78_zps

I mounted an hobby knife with a number 11 blade upside down In the tool post and disengaged the drive belt so that I could very carefully cut each groove by spinning the chuck by hand. Once each was cut it was a simple matter of moving the compound drive a tiny bit and then cutting the next one and so on.

6C2E4EC8-F2FE-4960-8BE2-1DBDC31B8935_zps

Great success!

9E9FE20A-DAB7-4A78-9D38-EB4F77F2B751_zps

Yeah Eric…  that was Wheely Cool - stuff we did the other day! 

Thanks for Graciously inviting me into your Alladin's Cave (the Model Groto)  and watch the Master-Craftsman at work!

Hey Guys.. it's one thing seeing things being done here on this site - step by step (which is tremendous) but seeing it all with your own eyes! ...IS something else!

It was like being invited into the Sistine Chapel and watching Michael Angelo at work!

Thanks Eric,  it was a privilege and honour… and you've started the fire in belly to get the RAAF project going for sure! (as if my belly is not big enough!) :doh:

Many thanks Matie!

Phil

Guest Peterpools

ERic

excellent work on converting the ejection seat to that of the RAAF .. looks perfect.

But the nose wheel ... I'm just blown away and amazed. - amazing work.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Absolutely brilliant effort with all the details Eric. You've also clearly addressed all the shape issues associated with the Kinetic / Italeri offering, which leaves you with the benefit of the much better proportions it has for the windscreen and canopy over the very narrow Hasegawa one. I have quite a few reference photos of '983 during one of its early restorations if they are of help.

Regards

Mike

Thanks Mike and glad to see you weighing in on my build as well. Your build inspired me to get into mine and I have used a few of your tips to help me along the way.

Here is the completed cockpit immediately before installation into the fuselage. I fitted Airscale decals as the instruments.

E91861CC-5D14-4350-9CE1-069F12D7F4CF_zps

6F10FBFE-117F-42D7-B2C2-51CC6487E88C_zps

I am anticipating that this model will be tail heavy, so I have packed the nose cone with lead that I shaved from a fishing sinker. The further forward I could get the nose weight, the less I would need which will make for a lighter model in the end.

0642F7C9-3857-4349-82B9-63A5FF9AB63C_zps