RAAF CAC Sabre. Finished. Thankyou Brick!

ericg

Further correspondence with Brick has inspired me to get a move on with this model given that he has indicated that there is a good chance that he will be attending Model Expo in 4 weeks time, where this model will be entered.

Firstly the important stuff. I spent part of the day with the young fella flying my RC Albatross D.V. It is an awesome feeling being able to capture the imagination and influence a mind just beginning to appreciate the rewards that aviation brings.

NCAQ5164_zpskjpgxv0h.jpg

Studying the photos that Brick supplied me of his Sabre, plus looking at other aeroplanes of that period, I could see there was a few small details that weren't covered with the decal sheet that I used. There was a small placard on the gun bay cover that reminded people that entered the cockpit that they shouldn't touch anything marked with black and yellow stripes. I just had to have it featured on my model. I cut up numerous decals to make up the placard, starting with a small rectangle of grey decal, overlayed by the red warning and text (some of which doesn't make any sense) that I cut from numerous other sheets, plus carefully cutting out the black and yellow striping from another sheet. Also visible is the red ejection seat triangle, which itself is made of a couple of different sheets, and a small black spot near the wing root, punched from a black decal.

IMG_1510_zpsm3sgwd8t.jpg

I followed that up by applying a small strip of black decal just above the checker pattern. I am yet to determine why that was there.

IMG_1517_zpsgqzwbubr.jpg

I cut a long strip of red decal from a Cartograph printed decal sheet and wrapped it around the pitot tube to replicate the real thing. Multiple soakings of Microsol ensures that it looks painted on.

IMG_1512_zpsgmdz9pas.jpg

I finished applying decals to both Sidewinders, using the excellent `INERT' decals that my mate Dave ALPS printed for me.

IMG_1507_zpschn9e3l6.jpg

I made up a couple of drain pipes from brass tubing. (Thanks Bruce A for the excellent reference photos)

IMG_1515_zpszuhfwtc6.jpg\

I then carved up a teardrop shape from some clear sprue

IMG_1469_zpsiduxjjka.jpg

Which then became the port and starboard Nav lights, once dipped in Gunze Sangyo clear green and red.

IMG_1518_zpsegtmxgkb.jpg

I turned some clear sprue into a dome shape and then drilled it out to form the part that resides to the rear of the canopy (Thanks Whitey for the pic)

IMG_1508_zpsws4t7sw6.jpg

Guest Peterpools

Eric

I can't remember when I've enjoyed and learned so much from a build thread.
Please, keep 'em coming
Peter

Edited by Peterpools

Aah Brick your repartee is as usual par excellence and brings a smile to my face. Yes I recall your Low level convulsions errr ..... display as I also recall most of the Sqn pilots winced a little when you decided to do it. You said ..."altimeter needle not moving a millimetre all the way" thats pretty slack Brick you mean you wernt allowing for PEC during the acceleration ?

But getting to real fighter pilot BS I also recall those memorable 1 v 1's we had where you appeared regularly in the cine film the next morning. I recall on one specific engagement we met at the Merge and I smoothly pulled into the vertical .... as did you ..... but not so smoothly needless to say some more cine of you ... then in the debrief where you claimed ..... "you stole my move" ....ROFL . Lets not forget that ADEX at Tengah. There we were aeroplanes preflighted and signed for on Alert 7 in the lightning sheds. Gombak brought us  us up to Alert 2. You dash to the jet strap in then you notice the debit meter showing more fuel than you thought it should have ...."Why does this aeroplane have 1227galls of fuel " *... you ask the troop on the ladder ...."because you have strapped into the wrong jet sir" :) Of course we cannot ever forget that evening in Mr Keys bar exchanging beer filled professional insults to the RSAF Hunter guys after a DACT session with them and Pilot officer (RSAF) Bobby Boo approaches you to claim his scalp . "With what did you  kill me Bobby"  you enquire ....... " 4 x 30mm sir" says Bobby in Chinglish. Though I do give you your due Brick you always combed your hair impeccably .... I guess because you knew you would be in the gun camera film so needed to look good for the camera :)

Then those cigars at morning brief ! How do you tell the Boss that boys cant hack his cigar smoke at 8 Am in the morning. No problem do something subtle. I do a quick trip to the RAAF Hospital. Next morning brief ... Brick walks in we spring to attention as he enters the briefing room ..... all his pilots wearing surgical masks. Message passed no more cigars in morning brief.

Of course we must not forget that impromptu modelling competition we had. You presented that loose rendition of the 1/32scale Hasegawa F16A (The early one with the prototype Red white and Blue boxart)..... Sheez that canopy seam right down the middle looked like crap :) . You challenged me to do something better. The astonished look on your face when a few weeks later you come into your office to see a stunning representation of the Hasegawa 1/32scale F5E in USAF grey aggressor scheme :) .... I will never forget.  I still have that kit in the cabinet 35 years later.

As to your QFI/FCI prowess I didn't think they ran FCI courses on the Wapiti ?

They were good days .

* 1227Galls 2 x 286g tanks + WLE

Edited by TTail

Well.

That certainly upped it a bit.

So it IS true...fighter pilots DO make movies!

For the record I have seen TTail doing more than 30deg AoB in a 380.

Nothing wrong with the odd cigar though.

Nice retort...what a great thread.

Err...The build is most excellent also!

Again, good stuff guys.

I have given Brick the big hurry up to get one last anecdote written for this thread as I fear the updates will soon be finishing as this model inches ever closer to my display cabinet. 

My Lathe has been out of action for a few months, ever since the 3 phase motor (running through a 240 volt single phase converter) decided to emit a large spark and give up. It took me a while to source a suitably dimensioned replacement, taking the opportunity to purchase a single phase 1 HP 240 volt motor, eliminating the need for the rather large converter. I was considering selling off the lathe and getting a bench top mini lathe but felt that my Hercus 260 was just too much of an asset not to have, even if it is a little old. It is an ultimate man accessory for the Mancave.

I put the lathe with its brand new motor to use straight away, turning up a couple of landing lights for the Sabre from aluminium. I turned a rod of aluminium to the correct diameter to fit the holes in the nose, then dished each part with a large drill bit, drilled a small hole in its center to accept a globe made from stretched clear sprue, then polished it.

IMG_1527_zpswxgtxjqz.jpg

Once I had machined each light, I punched a disk of clear styrene to form the lense and then fitted them.

IMG_1534_zpserky5jcw.jpg

So close to the finish line!

IMG_1524_zps59pdc5zr.jpg

Well folks, the time has come to declare this one finished! I have taken a few shots with my phone as it was a couple of minutes after I had applied the final touches. I will take some studio shots of it once I have a supporting base made for it. thanks to all who have followed and especially to Brick and his jousting partner TTail who have contributed much to the build. I will be most pleased to be able to show Brick old `67 on the Monday of Model expo in  a few weeks time, so if you see an old fighter pilot with a hell of a glint in his eye hanging around the large scale jets at the show, please go and say g'day.

IMG_1540_zpsse45tbx7.jpg

IMG_1541_zpsoylwuows.jpg

IMG_1543_zps6o1e5zxc.jpg

IMG_1544_zpssyf7iegu.jpg

Right where it belongs, sharing a shelf with 2 other classic Aussie jets!

IMG_1547_zpsufwceur0.jpg

Eric, I just don't know what to say.  I can scarcely tell the difference between the model and the real thing.  On the one hand I am in absolute awe of your skills as a modeller.  And, on the other, I am deeply honoured that you would choose as your subject an aircraft that I flew over fifty years ago - more honoured than I can possibly say.  I mean it.  This means a heck of a lot to an ageing "knuck".  It really is the icing on the cake, and has caused me to re-visit in my mind some enormously enjoyable days of my earlier life.

I was about to respond to TTail's latest outrageous post when I saw your completion post arrive.  I was going to do that yesterday, knowing that you had almost completed the build.  However, your work had inspired my wife Jan and I to drive over to the Temora Aviation Museum yesterday to have a look at A94-983, given that I had not seen a Sword since 1986.  (My log book says that I flew that particular airframe exactly once, on 11 March 1964, so there is a small connection there.)

But here's the thing.  When I walked into the hangar to see that bird, which is illuminated by special lighting, I became, shall we say, a tad emotional.  I'm sure I'll feel the same when I see your model in real life on 13 June.  So be prepared for the slight possibility of an ageing "knuck" making an absolute fool of himself

me.jpg

me%20and%20jan.jpg

All of the above comments and more.

Have you any more inspirational "pull up a sandbag" models in the pipeline concerning the adventures of Brick and his underling TTail? I for one would love to hear/see more.

To you sir, and to Brick and TTail, many thanks for such an enjoyable and entertaining build.

Bob