Looking for reference dick bongs 1st p-38f

Hi guys I'm looking for reference source for the first of of Dick Bong's p-38f-1? that he scored his first enemy kills with. I believe from the only photo I now have he was flying "white 15" and I am pretty sure it was an F model from the first batch in the 39th FS 35th FG based at Port Moresby or Dobodura New Guinea shark mouthed and national insigniawas just roundel star with NO bars (early 1943 or late 1942). Looking for serial markings, color plates, etc. I have Squadrons "Aces of the Southwest Pacific" and "p-38 Lightning in action" and also "P-38 Lightning at War" by Joe Christy and Jeff Ethell

Jon,

This might help u out.Go tot he lisings for ipms chapters and if i remeber right.There sia chapter in minnastoa,that has dick bongs name attached.When u fing it,shoot them a message and i'm sure there will be someone wh can help u out.I never found that intel when i was doing my 38 wit the marge markings.Larry

Thanks Larry,

I thought I had found the usaaf serial numbers but lost them again in my refs.

the markings are most likely similar to other early lightnings sharkmouths from the 39th FS. I think Airfix had a kit with markings from that group and possibly Hasegawa did too but since I don't collect anything but 1/32nd scale I don't have those kits to look at the markings. And I guess nobody but Kenny thought Dick Bong would be such a great pilot.

I will keep on looking because I want to do Bong's first and last Lightnings "white 15" and "Marge"

Thanks again,

Jon Payne

fastzx-

If you have the May '03 issue of Finescale Modeler laying about, there are a few good pics of both Bong's planes; From what I can see of "Marge" (hadda get the reading glasses out), the tail numbers were 2109993, black military stencil type. His other plane only had the white 15 on the nose and outboard of both vertical stabilizers.

Hope this helps you a bit :D

Hey thanks guys,

For the parts for P-38F conversion I am doing in 1/32

I found the info I was looking for in Osprey's aircraft of the aces #14

"P-38 aces of the Pacific and CBI"

Great photos and color plate of the P-38F-5

Bong's first two kills were in a borrowed plane ! ! !

"white 15" or "thumper"

a P-38F-5

serial 42-12644

from Lt. John "Shady" Lane 39th FS/35th FG, Port Morseby, December 1942

just goes to show you that you can never have too many models OR reference books.

Jon