I am quite Bf109 confused

Hardcore

The very plane that was purloined by Aussies during the war.

:evil_laugh:  Convicts!!!!

Matty

Ps Robbie Coltrane did a segment on this planes engine.  Apparently the quality of the wartime DB crankshaft impressed the restorers at ??Rolls Royce.  Sometimes I play an old audioCD of this planes engine as I'm driving.  The Supercharger sounds wickeeed! My cars exhaust note is just tragically boring...I can dream

The very plane that was purloined by Aussies during the war.

:evil_laugh:  Convicts!!!!

Matty

Ps Robbie Coltrane did a segment on this planes engine.  Apparently the quality of the wartime DB crankshaft impressed the restorers at ??Rolls Royce.  Sometimes I play an old audioCD of this planes engine as I'm driving.  The Supercharger sounds wickeeed! My cars exhaust note is just tragically boring...I can dream

Robbie Coltranes' Planes, Trains and Automobiles ... The episode on the Supercharger.

A German invention for motor racing ... adapted, of course, in it's evolution - to aircraft racing ... and finally wartime aircraft ...

I agree with you Matty ... The Daimler-Benz engines sound awesome ... I love a good Merlin ... but theres just something primal about the scream of the DB 'charger doing it's 25000 RPM ... a much better design, too IMO.

I prefer the less refined sound of the DB/Supercharger combination in the DB.601 (aka 'Emil') ... but any DB sounds brilliant.

I thoroughly enjoyed that segment - especially the German guy who restores them stating that as a 'hair drier' it would blow your hair off! :D

I don't recall that show mention the DB crankshaft ... but I do recall a chap from the RR maintenance department, on another documentary, saying that he was told not to damage one on an engine he was servicing (DB) because the tolerances couldn't be replicated with anything RR had today!

... I have NEVER seen exhaust stains on the Wings, only on the fuselage.

So what is this? ...

Good question ... they are obviously exhaust stains! ...

My theory is that, with the exhaust shrouds on top of the exhaust manifolds directing exhaust downwards, the airflow over the the aircraft must drag it over the wings??

Rog :)

It's just you don't normally get this angle and this kind of quality picture to look at. Some 109's look pretty clean, others are black half way down the fuselage and from leading to trailing edge on the wing root. I guess fuel quality, damage or just how much abuse the engine has taken from the pilot contributed to how much crap got  blasted out the exhausts.

Edited by BradG

Some Bf 109 had a large black segment painted on the wings in that general area, to mask exhaust stains. See this: 

Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-487-3066-04,_Flug

Some planes got dirty exhaust stains, some did not. I guess it all has to do with mixture, oil, etc. 

Radu 

Considering how low the exhaust stacks are on the engine, I don't see how the wings can avoid staining. I would guess that an Ha.1112 with the Merlin doesn't get exhaust on the wings since the exhaust is on top. AT-6's, SNJ's, etc. and cropdusters with R-1340's and R-985's generally get exhaust stains on the right side of the fuselage as well as the upper right wing root. It's all in exhaust stack locations and airflow.

Hi!

The wing root splits the exhausts in 3 parts (from strong to weak):1st fuselage sides,2nd upper wings an 3rd lower wing around leading edge.

Edited by 109

I don't recall that show mention the DB crankshaft ... but I do recall a chap from the RR maintenance department, on another documentary, saying that he was told not to damage one on an engine he was servicing (DB) because the tolerances couldn't be replicated with anything RR had today!

Ahhh...you might be right there buddy.  I very well might have got them confused.

Great angle to show the stains.  Didn't know about the black painted areas in the pic Radu showed.  Scheme looks nice.

I think Ron is right...it's been restored after the crash but only to static?

Cheers Matty

Black 6 isn't flying any more. Broke it's back in a landing accident. I believe it is the same airframe now seen in RAF Hendon?

Or, as RAF Museum Director (retired) Michael Fopp call it when I met him many years ago out here; Brown 9.