Polar Lights 1/1000 USS Enterprise NC-1701

LSP_Kevin

There should be NO seams anywhere. The whole ship, smooth as a baby's bottom. That raised Copyright info is a pain. Took me three tries to get rid of it. Sanded, primered, it popped right back up. Repeat. Ugh!!

Bummer! I've sanded it off, and it looks gone to the naked eye. We'll see how it looks under some primer. I made a slight booboo though; I was attempting to test-fit the saucer bottom to the main hull, when it snapped into place and now I can't get it off again! I wasn't planning to attach it this early in the build, but it's too late now. At least it will allow me to address the slightly gappy fit of the two sections.

Kev

Bummer! I've sanded it off, and it looks gone to the naked eye. We'll see how it looks under some primer. I made a slight booboo though; I was attempting to test-fit the saucer bottom to the main hull, when it snapped into place and now I can't get it off again! I wasn't planning to attach it this early in the build, but it's too late now. At least it will allow me to address the slightly gappy fit of the two sections.

Kev

Ouch, foiled by the darn snap-fit....

With a little force, you should be able to pop it back off. Though you may break of fthe "snap" bit. But hey, that's what glue is for. :oops:

I tried that, but was actually starting to get stress marks in the plastic, so I gave up and cemented it in place.

Kev

OK folks, time for another update. Here's my little Enterprise in primer:

u66ALb.jpg

Without the nacelles on, it tips forward on the stand, so I used some sprue cutters to weight it down for the photos. Here's a close up of the join at the base of the engine pylons:

pALFfO.jpg

Nice and smooth! Still a bit of work to do around the pylons themselves, so I'll work on those next.

Kev

While I've got your attention folks, I'd like to ask the treksperts another question - this time the perennial what colours? The kit instructions cite a number of colours from the Testors range (Light Ghost Gray, Dark Ghost Gray, Gunship Gray), each of which is easy enough to find in other paint brands. I don't have any of these colours in my paint stash, so I'm wondering if I can approximate them with what I do have, without having to buy more paint. The closest colour I have to Light Ghost Gray for the main base colour is Light Compass Ghost Grey from Lifecolor, which I used on my Revell Babylon 5 space station. Is that an acceptable starting point? If not, I plan to visit a hobby shop over the weekend, and will purchase whatever you guys (or the instructions) recommend.

Kev

The original was painted in a reflective light gray that looked different depending on what light was hitting it. So really any light gray will work - it's kind of like German camo.

Edited by CATCplSlade

Kev, I was at the local hobby shop today. They had two of these kits in stock but wanted $192.00 Cdn each (~$160US)

Ouch, I just about fell over.

Ron

I think they must have been the 1/350 version Ron, which sounds about the right price for them. They're a different kettle of fish altogether. I had a chance to buy one for around AU$90 a couple of years ago, but didn't have the money. D'oh!

Kev