Polar Lights 1/1000 USS Enterprise NC-1701

LSP_Kevin

With today's announcement that Leonard Nimoy has died, I thought I might pull out my Polar Lights Enterprise kit and build it as a tribute. I don't really have the room on my bench or the time in my life right now for another build, but it just somehow felt like an appropriate time to make a start on this one.

BOypj5.jpg

As you can see in the photo, I've actually got two of them...but not really. The kit on the right I bought off eBay as a parts kit, hoping it would have enough going for it to be salvageable as a full build. It didn't. What it did have, however, was a resin saucer section that looked to be part of some conversion set for this kit. When I enquired about it online, a very generous fellow on ARC offered to swap me a full kit for the resin bits in this kit. This is where the kit on the left comes from. It has in fact already been started, but as far as I can tell, everything is there:

QDN3pS.jpg

If not, I can probably salvage what I need from the parts kit. Check out those chunky sprues! Definitely not what we're used to with modern aircraft kits. I've found this a common theme with sci-fi kits - even relatively modern ones; they're mostly quite crude. This series of kits is in fact designed to snap together without glue, and actually includes a set of stickers alongside traditional waterslide decals:

hQd3SR.jpg

And the instructions are about what you'd expect for this type of kit:

8mKQNZ.jpg

I'll still have to examine them quite carefully though, as alternate parts abound to make subtly different versions of NCC-1701. I was hoping that I could actually combine the two kits and have enough parts to build two models, each representing a different example of the kit's versions. Sadly, without the saucer parts, there's no point.

Anyway, I have no idea how much time I'll be able to devote to this kit, but I devote the build nevertheless to the memory of Leonard Nimoy - Live Long and Prosper!

Kev

Such a cool idea, Kev. I considered the same thing, but all of my ST stuff representing ships from the original series, are long gone. I have a few from the Next Generation ST, but of course that wouldn't be the same. With the loss yesterday of this iconic star, a tribute seems most appropriate.

Thanks fellas. As it happens, I've struck a hurdle already. My assumption that all the parts are there has turned out to be wrong, as I'm missing part #3, highlighted in the image below:

4azraf.jpg

This is a fairly fundamental piece, so I can't really complete the build, or even progress much further, without it. It's very unlikely that I'll be able to find a replacement, too (though sing out if you've got one!).

:hmmm:

Kev

I feel for ya', Kev, I really do. I have a similar issue with a 1:72 Me 262 I'm working on, flaps and ailerons are missing from one wing (I have no idea why I removed them in the first place), and I'll never find them, so it looks like I'll be adding them back from plastic sheet.

Nice tribute build. Try contacting Polar Lights and see if you can get a replacement. I have heard that they have great customer service. 

I gave away most of my original series kits but still have the 1/350 refit in the stash along with a resin 1/537 Klingon Bird of Prey. I don't know when I'll ever get to the refit since it's about a metre long when finished and I have a hard enough time figuring where to put my built LSPs. 

Carl

Try contacting Polar Lights and see if you can get a replacement.

Polar Lights went out of business quite a few years ago, and the tooling and brand are now owned and marketed by Round 2. They have a policy that they won't replace parts for kits purchased under the original Polar Lights brand, only stuff they've sold themselves since they took over. I went down this path trying to obtain a replacement saucer for the other kit!

Kev

Polar Lights went out of business quite a few years ago, and the tooling and brand are now owned and marketed by Round 2. They have a policy that they won't replace parts for kits purchased under the original Polar Lights brand, only stuff they've sold themselves since they took over. I went down this path trying to obtain a replacement saucer for the other kit!

Kev

Well, so much for that idea  :doh:

Carl

Well, so much for that idea  :doh:

Carl

Yeah, it's frustrating, but there are plenty of these kits around, so I'm hoping someone local can help me out with either a replacement part, or more likely, a resin copy of one.

Fingers crossed!

Kev

If not, I can probably salvage what I need from the parts kit. Check out those chunky sprues! Definitely not what we're used to with modern aircraft kits. I've found this a common theme with sci-fi kits - even relatively modern ones; they're mostly quite crude. This series of kits is in fact designed to snap together without glue, and actually includes a set of stickers alongside traditional

Kev

With all due respect for the intent of your build Kev, I think your statement is quite misguided regarding the quality of sci-fi kits. Sure, there will always be those kits which don't seem to fit so well, but as you point out in a later post, the kit is made for a certain market. These exist in every genre - isn't someone building an Airfix DH88 Comet? I threw that out because even my 8 year old hated it.

Modern Bandai, Wave and Hasegawa injection kits fit really well, even some of the new resin kits which are 3D printed for masters are great (check out the kits available at Industria Mechanika). At the end of the day, you will put in as much effort into the subject as you are willing, regardless of the problems thrown at you. Sometimes that means you stop too.

Live Long And Prosper

Brendan